571 replies to this topic

#441 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:35 AM

Wow, that is all over the board.  I think the consistency will come as he matures and is surrounded by better players.  I think the weakness of our lineup, really affects guys like Mountcastle.

My guess is its not that much different than most guys that put up an .800 OPS

• Mackus likes this

#442 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

BTW he and Mullins really struggled the last 7-10 days. 

#443 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:43 PM

BTW he and Mullins really struggled the last 7-10 days. 

Tired and worn down from all the losing??

@mikeghg

#444 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:22 PM

#445 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Ryan Mountcastle has won the 2021 Players Choice Award for AL Outstanding Rookie!

• makoman likes this

#446 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

Ryan Mountcastle has won the 2021 Players Choice Award for AL Outstanding Rookie!

Does that mean he won’t win ROY?

Like how college footballs Maxwell Award goes to the best college football player, but in many instances it went to one who doesn’t win the Heisman?
@BSLMikeRandall

#447 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:29 AM

That is pretty good.  Ryan was a bit streaky, but IMO, he was the best rookie and I think the best is yet to come.

@mikeghg

#448 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

Does that mean he won’t win ROY?

Like how college footballs Maxwell Award goes to the best college football player, but in many instances it went to one who doesn’t win the Heisman?

If I counted correctly, 4 times since 2011 a player has won the Player's Choice award without winning the real award.  Another 9 times going back to the advent of the Player's Choice award in 1994.  That's the total for both leagues.

So like 20-25% of the time the awards don't go to the same player.

https://www.mlb.com/.../players-choice

https://www.baseball...wards/roy.shtml

• Mike in STL likes this

#449 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:52 AM

Who are the other front runners?

#450 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:05 AM

Arozarena, Garcia, Franco might get some votes.  Mountcastle gets killed in the advanced stats because defensively he was either a terrible LF, average 1B, or a DH this year.  He's ahead on HR and RBI though.

I think Arozarena is the right choice and had the best year among AL rookies all things considered. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#451 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

Yeah Mountcastle would have had a better chance 30 years ago to be honest with the big HR number. Voters nowadays pay attention to WAR and the like, and his is relatively low due to defense and position.

#452 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:28 AM

He finished 6th.

#453 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 November 2021 - 09:14 AM

He finished 6th.

I am not one who worries about who gets the individual awards too much, but 6th is surprising.

I think the fact that the Orioles are so awful, probably hurts the few individuals who actually had good seasons.

The writers do not consider the Orioles relevant and they are right, but if you are going to vote at least do some research.

@mikeghg

#454 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:45 AM

I am not one who worries about who gets the individual awards too much, but 6th is surprising.

I think the fact that the Orioles are so awful, probably hurts the few individuals who actually had good seasons.

The writers do not consider the Orioles relevant and they are right, but if you are going to vote at least do some research.

I definitely don't think it's fair to say that the voters didn't do any research.

Arozarena was better at everything except HR, but is a good fielder. Well RBI too, but he batted leadoff a lot.

Franco was basically Arozarena, but half the games and also a plus SS. I'm glad he didn't win due to only 70 games, but he was very good in the time he played.

Adolis Garcia was pretty solidly worse as a hitter than Mountcastle, though not by a ton. But he plays a good CF, that's huge vs an averagish 1B.

It's hard to compare to pitchers. But Luis Garcia's year was basically the same as Means' 2019 when he also came in 2nd. And Clase had a year that probably would have been 2nd best in Zack Britton's career. 

Mountcastle had a good year. 6th is defensible. Defense matters too. Higher would have been defensible too. I'd maybe have him over A. Garcia, Clase, and Franco. I think Arozarena was a reasonable choice.

#455 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

Mountcastle had a good year. 6th is defensible. Defense matters too. Higher would have been defensible too. I'd maybe have him over A. Garcia, Clase, and Franco. I think Arozarena was a reasonable choice.

While I agree with your points here, I don't think 6th is defensible. 

Garcia had a .626 OPS in the second half.  He was in free fall. 

Franco didn't play half the season.  If he plays the whole season, he's the RoY, but that's on the Team, you don't get credit for doing it 'that way' unless you do something truly special with your 70 games.  You can't be good and then project it out.  

Defense in this group of players doesn't really matter.  None of them are special defenders.  I disagree you can say "he's a better defender, so he gets some significant bump."  Mountcaslte gets paid to hit and he did it, over more of the season, better than any of the others. ...and if you want to start including dWAR as a metric, that is hugely problematic given the wonkiness of that approach.  

I had Arozerena on both of my fantasy teams and I was frustrated by how often they would rest him.  If he wins, I think THAT is justifiable, so RM should have been 2nd,

You can make a better argument for Mountcastle winning the award than finishing 6th. 

#456 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:04 PM

Man agentdude is pissed Mountcastle has to put 6th in ROY voting on his resume. Such a big meaningful accomplishment he got screwed out of

#457 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:14 PM

I mean he wasnt even the leading rookie on his team in WAR. Defense matters and so does position. 6th is more than fair considering everything

#458 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 02:10 PM

While I agree with your points here, I don't think 6th is defensible. 

Garcia had a .626 OPS in the second half.  He was in free fall. 

Franco didn't play half the season.  If he plays the whole season, he's the RoY, but that's on the Team, you don't get credit for doing it 'that way' unless you do something truly special with your 70 games.  You can't be good and then project it out.  

Defense in this group of players doesn't really matter.  None of them are special defenders.  I disagree you can say "he's a better defender, so he gets some significant bump."  Mountcaslte gets paid to hit and he did it, over more of the season, better than any of the others. ...and if you want to start including dWAR as a metric, that is hugely problematic given the wonkiness of that approach.  

I had Arozerena on both of my fantasy teams and I was frustrated by how often they would rest him.  If he wins, I think THAT is justifiable, so RM should have been 2nd,

You can make a better argument for Mountcastle winning the award than finishing 6th. 

I disagree that you just ignore defense. No, none of them may be special (I don't watch enough non-O's to really know) though Arozarena was a GG finalist and Garcia led the league in assists and was 97th percentile in outs above average. If the award is for best rookie then everything matters. I don't see how you can point to a "free fall" but ignore defense.

RM gets paid to hit and does it well. Clase gets paid to get people out and did so superbly. Had an ERA+ that Rivera never touched, that Eckersley did once.

I don't really disagree with you that much, like I said I'd probably have him 3rd or maybe 2nd. I think Arozarena had a better year, none of them had a really special season.

#459 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 04:29 PM

6th is low but he shouldn't have won.  You just can't make a good argument for him being ahead of Arozarena.

Tough to make an argument for him over L. Garcia as well, but I guess if you really don't care about defense and are down on SP because they don't pitch deep any more you could make a case.

The others I think there are solid arguments he should've finished ahead.  Franco didn't play enough.  A. Garcia hit considerably worse than Mountcastle, enough that I think it's fair (but not clearly obvious) to prefer Mountcastle even though Garcia is a good CF and Mountcastle was a DH, avg 1B, or horrible LF.  Clase is a RP who wasn't a closer all year long.

#460 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I dont put any punishment on Franco only playing 80ish less games. He was easily the more valuable player despite playing 90 less games. Wouldnt have been the first or the last to win an award on half a seasons worth of play. I mean this is his rookie year. He doesnt have eligiblity left and he put up a 3.5 rWAR. On pace to run away with the award over a full season. He was my pick but I wont complain about Arozarena winning instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=