154 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

Like KO, I think he would go back.

On my phone, will link tomorrow....Jay Marrioti's article on Simmons was such a joke. What an asshole.

#42 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

I just read his column. He misplaces what Simmons' job was. He was never a sports reporter that broke news and covered a beat. He was moreso an editorial columnist. Commentary not reporting. And he was good at that.

I also think Mariotti, for some reason, has a bone to pick with ESPN. You know, because it's ESPNs fault he was charged with assaulting a woman.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

NBC tried the Patrick/Olbermann reunion thing on Football Night in America. It didn't work. The halcyon days of SportsCenter are over. Technology has changed the game. Accept it and move on.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

NBC tried the Patrick/Olbermann reunion thing on Football Night in America. It didn't work. The halcyon days of SportsCenter are over. Technology has changed the game. Accept it and move on.

In fairness, I think that had a lot to do with the format/usage of them. They would still be good on a SC type show IMO and both have talent to do more.

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

In fairness, I think that had a lot to do with the format/usage of them. They would still be good on a SC type show IMO and both have talent to do more.

How many people still watch SC nowadays? That was appointment viewing for me back in the 90s. Today, with broadband internet + better video compression, I don't need to sit through a 1-hour show to see the 10 minutes of highlights I want.

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

I always find it amusing when people bite the hand that feeds them. Patrick, for example, owes everything he has to ESPN, yet he takes digs at them? I don't understand it.

Well Simmons' is in the position you describe here. Yes, ESPN gave him his break and paid him very well, and I'm sure he's quite grateful to them for that; however, that shouldn't necessarily mean that the worker should put up with anything and everything in regards to how they are/were treated. Simmons' clearly hasn't liked some things about how he's been handled and who knows if he's more in the right or the wrong overall, but I won't begrudge him or Patrick for sometimes voicing their frustrations. 

On the flip side, Patrick and Simmons did great work for ESPN, furthered the brand, and made money for them as two of the more valuable talents they've had, so perhaps the company should have been more respectful of that?

• DJ MC likes this

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

How many people still watch SC nowadays? That was appointment viewing for me back in the 90s. Today, with broadband internet + better video compression, I don't need to sit through a 1-hour show to see the 10 minutes of highlights I want.

I assume a lot of people still do considering it's on so much, but sure, it's likely not at its peak.

It's also moved away from being as highlight centered.

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

I always find it amusing when people bite the hand that feeds them. Patrick, for example, owes everything he has to ESPN, yet he takes digs at them? I don't understand it.

Well, he and Olbermann are a big part of what allowed ESPN to not just be the top place to go for sports, but through Sportscenter become an outright cultural institution. Whether or not ESPN would have or could have reached the heights they have without them is unknown and beside the point, because they did reach them through, in part, the efforts of those two. So if he feels wronged by the company, he has every right to be snippy towards them.

@DJ_McCann

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

Well, he and Olbermann are a big part of what allowed ESPN to not just be the top place to go for sports, but through Sportscenter become an outright cultural institution. Whether or not ESPN would have or could have reached the heights they have without them is unknown and beside the point, because they did reach them through, in part, the efforts of those two. So if he feels wronged by the company, he has every right to be snippy towards them.

Good points. Now ESPN is such a powerhouse that everyone is rather easily expendable and it's up to them if they will treat people that way or not. However, Patrick really did help ESPN become what it is today. Simmons obviously came on much later, but in terms of online columns, he is probably the most important person in making ESPN.com so successful in that regard. Then there's the 30 for 30 docs. So while they owe a lot to ESPN, it goes both ways, and they may not have felt they were treated as well as they should have been given their contributions. 

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

Mariotti also grossly exaggerates the claim that Simmons could have been found liable for defamation against Goodell

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:57 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with ESPN. They, more than anyone else, are responsible for bringing more quality sports programming to the homes of millions of people. They brought us games, news and information when there were so few other options available. But as they have grown into a behemoth, and thus have the ability to exert more leverage on others, it seems they are more inclined to use it for purposes that don't really benefit their viewers.....at least in my own personal view.

#52 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

Was Simmons' biggest mistake being insubordinate or aggressively calling out the commissioner of what is by far the most important sport in America as well as ESPN's cherished partner?

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

And the fact that Jay Mariotti is still a thing is just wrong, on several levels.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:00 AM

Was Simmons' biggest mistake being insubordinate or aggressively calling out the commissioner of what is by far the most important sport in America as well as ESPN's cherished partner?

Yes.

#55 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:15 AM

Both. As I said, he did it before and received the suspension. Dared ESPN to suspend him. Then he went right back and does it again on a "rival's" show. His ego is annoying.

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:39 AM

Good points. Now ESPN is such a powerhouse that everyone is rather easily expendable and it's up to them if they will treat people that way or not. However, Patrick really did help ESPN become what it is today. Simmons obviously came on much later, but in terms of online columns, he is probably the most important person in making ESPN.com so successful in that regard. Then there's the 30 for 30 docs. So while they owe a lot to ESPN, it goes both ways, and they may not have felt they were treated as well as they should have been given their contributions. 

Well maybe ESPN giving Simmons a few chances is there way of saying we owe you.

Both sides are probably wrong.

I really don't care...Simmons is a great NBA guy but overall, he does nothing for me and the Boston love on everything is annoying.

#57 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

Some additional background on the Simmons/ESPN split:

http://www.vanityfai...immons-and-espn

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

Well maybe ESPN giving Simmons a few chances is there way of saying we owe you.

Both sides are probably wrong.

I really don't care...Simmons is a great NBA guy but overall, he does nothing for me and the Boston love on everything is annoying.

I wouldn't say ESPN gave him a few chances.

Simmons is one of my favorites in the media.

#59 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

WaPoESPN vs. Bill Simmons: An insider’s account of their sudden breakup

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

I wouldn't say ESPN gave him a few chances.

Simmons is one of my favorites in the media.

You really don't know that.

Maybe he was as big a prick behind the cameras as he appears in front of them.

Again, I don't care if I never hear from him again..then again, his contribution is with the NBA and I don't care all that much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=