#21 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

I don't know the first thing about horse racing, does American Pharoah have a shot at winning the longer Belmont? Seen a lot of horses win the first two and stall out in my lifetime.

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

It's always so tough, but 2 of his stronger competitors also ran today. You saw that both couldn't answer the bell today. AM was super impressive today.

A lot of horses in general have trouble with a mile and a half so who knows. Maybe Frosted gives him a run. I'm not sure if there have been any other quality 3 yr olds lying in wait. Seth might know.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

I don't know the first thing about horse racing, does American Pharoah have a shot at winning the longer Belmont? Seen a lot of horses win the first two and stall out in my lifetime.

Not sure he can get out as quickly as he did today.

If he does, he may fade.

Otoh, he also ended really strong, so maybe he has that staying power.

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

The distance shouldn't be an issue for him..His Grand Sire, Empire Maker won the Belmont in 2003, and his (Empire Maker) Sire, AP Indy won the Belmont in 1992.

A few horses that ran well in the Derby, that skipped the Preakness could be strong. Nickle mentioned Frosted, and that's a good call, having won the major New York prep this Spring. 

But the one I'm worried about is Materiality, who ran 6th in the Derby. He had a lot of trouble in the Derby, but ran on strong to finish where he did. He's only raced 4 times in his career, but really seems to be sitting on a huge effort. His sire, Afleet Alex won the Belmont in 2005, so he's another who should have no issues going 1 1/2 miles. 

• BobPhelan likes this
@beginthebegin71

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

Pimlico Plumbing Problems Provoke Preakness Pee Pickle; Patrons Pissed

@DJ_McCann

#26 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

That horse is impressive.  That's the second race where it's seemed like he went into another gear on the last straight.  I hope we see a Triple Crown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=