109 replies to this topic

#41 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

I highly recommend WTMD (89.7) to everyone.  They play a lot of new, indy music without the hipper-than-thou attitude, and they mix in some classic stuff.  Plus, no commercials.

Here's what they've played recently.

• Mike in STL likes this

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Plus, no commercials.

Hurray!   Getting assaulted by minute after minute of radio commercials has become downright painful... I don't know how anybody stands it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Please god tell me you're joking have you heard the stuff they play on the radio nowadays?

I'm half joking. Yes, most of today's music isn't to my taste. Which is why while driving if it isn't sports talk, it's classic rock. Which by the way, now has Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the play list! (How old do you feel now).

I look at indie music like indie movies. Once in a blue moon there is a gem to found, but most of it is "indie" because it sucks. I don't have time to sort through the garbage, I have too many other hobbies. 

I'm not big into music anymore for two reasons:

1. I don't understand the hatred from fans of indie bands when one of their favorite bands goes mainstream. It means they made it! A girl I know was distraught when Mumford and Sons made it to radio. Like it was cool to like someone no one heard of, and now because everyone can hear them, oh they suck now. 

2. People like this:

"Do you like Billy Joel?"
"Yeah."
"What's your favorite song?
"Piano man."
"Huh. You must not be a fan if that's your favorite song. Check out this deep cut from 1978 that he only played live twice ever...blah blah blah..."
"What, you think you're better than me?"

Those people are hipsters. At least we know you're a good judge of character.

It wasn't until recently I started hearing Nirvana and Pearl Jam on classic rock radio (mostly 100.3) and it totally blew my mind. Of course, I only really listen to the radio now because my classic iPod finally bit the dust after about seven years and one hell of a beating.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#44 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

As a live band:

The Who

Led Zeppelin

Queen

Van Halen

Metallica

As a studio band, The Beatles were preeminent.

I've never understood the fascination some of you have with newer bands like Arcade Fire and Death Cab.  I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard.

For newer bands, I really like Alabama Shakes and The Killers.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#45 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Please god tell me you're joking have you heard the stuff they play on the radio nowadays?

I'm half joking. Yes, most of today's music isn't to my taste. Which is why while driving if it isn't sports talk, it's classic rock. Which by the way, now has Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the play list! (How old do you feel now).

I look at indie music like indie movies. Once in a blue moon there is a gem to found, but most of it is "indie" because it sucks. I don't have time to sort through the garbage, I have too many other hobbies. 

I'm not big into music anymore for two reasons:

1. I don't understand the hatred from fans of indie bands when one of their favorite bands goes mainstream. It means they made it! A girl I know was distraught when Mumford and Sons made it to radio. Like it was cool to like someone no one heard of, and now because everyone can hear them, oh they suck now. 

2. People like this:

"Do you like Billy Joel?"
"Yeah."
"What's your favorite song?
"Piano man."
"Huh. You must not be a fan if that's your favorite song. Check out this deep cut from 1978 that he only played live twice ever...blah blah blah..."
"What, you think you're better than me?"

Those people are hipsters. At least we know you're a good judge of character.

It wasn't until recently I started hearing Nirvana and Pearl Jam on classic rock radio (mostly 100.3) and it totally blew my mind. Of course, I only really listen to the radio now because my classic iPod finally bit the dust after about seven years and one hell of a beating.

Nothing beats the classic iPod. You can still find them at gamestops.
  • Bmore Irish likes this

#46 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

The Beatles
Oasis
Silverchair
Weezer
Jimmie's Chicken Shack / Nirvana

I grew up in the 90's... Obviously this is more favorite than best, I like a lot of the classic bands everyone else loves too.

#47 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

As a live band:

The Who
Led Zeppelin
Queen
Van Halen
Metallica

As a studio band, The Beatles were preeminent.

I've never understood the fascination some of you have with newer bands like Arcade Fire and Death Cab.  I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard.

For newer bands, I really like Alabama Shakes and The Killers.

Alabama Shakes is great. Alt-J is also a favorite of mine as far as newer bands.

#48 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

The Beatles

Oasis

Silverchair

Weezer

Jimmie's Chicken Shack

I grew up in the 90's... Obviously this is more favorite than best, I like a lot of the classic bands everyone else loves too.

Love Weezer's old stuff. Blue album is easily one of my favorite albums of the 90s.
  • BobPhelan and SammyBirdland like this

#49 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,551 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

A lot of the newer indie stuff has trended away from what I like in music. I've been getting back into old school hip hop a lot lately. That's all I listened to in the 90's. Then I switched over to alternative in the late 90's and indie in the 2000's. Right now I'm stuck in the same 1990-2010 rut I've always been stuck in. I guess that will be the music of my life.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

Nothing beats the classic iPod. You can still find them at gamestops.

You can also buy them on fleabay with dead hard drives... replace it with an adapter and a huge SD card, and have 128 or 256 GB with much faster response... which cooperates with a new and bigger battery to give mega battery life... and a shiny new shell so it looks new...

I've got 2 of them that way, for about $140 total each... you can get new backplates that say 256 GB, but I don't wanna advertise it, I want them to look boring...  I use Rockbox on them, and listen with Etymotic ER4's, and everything is wunnderul, even on airplanes.. (but I wish I could have just a light touch of BBE...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#51 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

There's a ton of good (new) music out there. It's become easier and easier to get your stuff out there, whether it's good or bad. (off-label, of course). No arguments about mainstream popularity, though. What's played on the normal FM stations borders on atrocious. 

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Good call on Alt-J BMore Irish... good stuff. Very unique and a great sound.

I find most of the new Indie to be lacking integrity. It's kind of completely gone off the deep end of Pop-Indie the past few years, and while there's some really catchy stuff out there that I find myself mindlessly enjoying from time to time, most of the stuff out there aren't quality bands where you can listen through a whole album and get anything out of it. Nothing wrong with catchy background noise though, I guess.

Also, I'm all-in on The Hold Steady now. Man, they are so consistent. So many good songs.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

A smart smart man you are.

The Hold Steady are amazing.  I encourage everyone to check them out.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

They used to think it was so cute when she said D'Yer Mak'Er
All the boys knew it was a joke about Jamaica
She'd always find a ride back home from the bar

She used to feel so stupid when they'd talk about the music
Born into every single tune
They used to hum against her lips with their hands on her hips
They used to kiss in the car

Dancing days, houses of the holy
Hot child in the city in the middle of the prairie
Flirting with the boys with all her charms

First the laugh, then the eyes
Then the touch him on the arms
Then the drinks, they never seemed to cost money
Saturday night was a runway that extended into Sunday
And sometimes Monday

Back then it was beautiful
The boys were sweet and musical
The laser lights looked mystical
Messed up still felt magical

Girls didn't seem so difficult
Boys didn't seem so typical
It was warm and white and wonderful
We were all invincible

Tired eyes, trampled under foot
Dazed and confused, c-c-c-cocaine blues
She hasn't gotten any eye contact tonight

The boys are getting younger and the bands are getting louder
And the new girls are coming up like some white unopened flowers
She's pretty sure that that's where their power is

Back then it was unified
The punks, the skins, the greaser guys
Then one summer two kids died
One of them was crucified

Now it's so competitive
The sleeplessness and sedatives
I know it sounds repetitive
Every show can't be a benefit

We were kids in the crowd, now we're dogs in this war
We were wasps with new wings, now we're bugs in the jar
We were hot soft and pure, now we're scratched up in scars
We were counting carbs, now we eat in our cars
The boys in the band, they know they'll never be stars

Back then we weren't quite convinced
Flyering and stickering
The front-row girls were posturing
We were all imagining

Man, we had some massive nights
Some bashes and some bloody fights
Back before those two kids died

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#55 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#56 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Good call on Alt-J BMore Irish... good stuff. Very unique and a great sound.

I find most of the new Indie to be lacking integrity. It's kind of completely gone off the deep end of Pop-Indie the past few years, and while there's some really catchy stuff out there that I find myself mindlessly enjoying from time to time, most of the stuff out there aren't quality bands where you can listen through a whole album and get anything out of it. Nothing wrong with catchy background noise though, I guess.

Also, I'm all-in on The Hold Steady now. Man, they are so consistent. So many good songs.

Yeah man, I actually heard their song Breezeblocks on one of the alt-rock radio stations (DC101 or HFS) and really digged it, so I checked them out. Of course, I didn't hear what I considered such a different-sounding song much after that first time. Go figure.

But I'd say Breezeblocks is one of their more mainstream-sounding songs. I really like Taro too:

(Not an official music video or even related to the song, I just enjoy the imagery in it.)

Such a haunting sound to it. And that sitar sound about 1:15 in? Supposedly it's them playing guitar with a roll of electrical tape. I love that creativity and experimentation that can result in unique music.

And for good measure, here's Breezeblocks (this one is the official video):

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

Warren Zevon
Weezer
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Blues Brothers

In no particular order...

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,551 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I don't get the Alt+J love.

I hate to be "that guy" in this thread.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

Do you hate it Sean, do you? ;)

It's OK, trying to be fair (and I'm a slut for trying to find new awesome music), I listened to The National on the way home from work the other day and was struggling to stay awake.

Alt-J is fun, but nothing earth shattering. They have some fun jams. Left Hand Free is great. I also gravitate to unique voices, like they certainly have.

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,551 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

Late-catalog The National is kind of sleep-inducing. I like Alligator, Boxer and High Violet. That's about as good a trilogy of albums as you'll find from a modern indie band. Trouble Will Find Me didn't exactly set my world on fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=