• This topic is locked This topic is locked
185 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland's Byrd Stadium is named for a racist. Should that change?

http://www.testudoti...all-name-change

Seems like a good opportunity to make a change, and get another check from someone.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

Either name it something like Terrapin Stadium, or name it after a person. If it's going to be "Capital One Field at Under Armor Stadium" just burn the damn thing to the ground and let them play games in the renovated Cole. Even Plank Stadium would be better.

Find someone important to the football program to name it after. Byrd wasn't just the university president, he's still the longest-tenured football coach in school history (18 years; only Claiborne and Friedgen made it even a full decade), so that's as much of the reason he received the honor.

It also probably should be pointed out that, sure, he might not have wanted minority students on campus, but without his leadership over that period the university may not have become the kind of place those students would want to attend. You can't just ignore the bad parts of history. Why not use the fact that the stadium keeps Byrd's name alive as much as anything else at UM to educate people on the whole story?

@DJ_McCann

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

I'd probably be more inclined to leave it as is. It's a topic that can be uncomfortable, and everyone deserves to be heard on it. But as the article points out, it's more than just the stadium on campus that is named after someone who was a known segregationist. It would seem if you do it for one building, you ought to do it for everything else. And I'm not talking UM only....why not every state-owned building in MD that is named after someone who upheld segregation, or go back to anyone who had slaves?

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

Randy Edsall Arena.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Either name it something like Terrapin Stadium, or name it after a person. If it's going to be "Capital One Field at Under Armor Stadium" just burn the damn thing to the ground and let them play games in the renovated Cole. Even Plank Stadium would be better.

Won't happen. There's a rule (I'm assuming some sort of state or university bylaw) that allows only one on-campus stadium/arena to be named for a corporate sponsor. Of course, that would be the XFINITY Center.

Now, the way to get around that is obviously naming the field (i.e. Capital One Field) but they will never be able to name it [enter corporate sponsor here] Stadium.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

If schools renamed everything on their campus that was originally named for racist individuals, we'd be in for a whole lot of new building names across the country. Thomas Jefferson owned a bunch of slaves, is UVA going to stop their weird idol worship of him? No. Honestly though, I couldn't care less what they name the football stadium, the basketball arena, the buildings I go to class in, or the gym that I work in. I think there are a lot more pressing race issues on this campus than what we call the football stadium or the gym.

• RShack likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana

It is possible to both honor Curley Byrd's contributions to UM, and to learn from his mistakes. If you try to erase him from history, you may end up doing neither.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

Thomas Jefferson owned a bunch of slaves, is UVA going to stop their appropriate idol worship of him? 

Nobody's perfect.  Some come a whole lot closer than others.  As human beings go, TJ was pretty close.  His shortcomings are exactly the same as some of our nation's shortcomings... hard to be more American than that ... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

The Diamondback: Wallace Loh forms a work group to help consider renaming Byrd Stadium

http://www.diamondba...2ca19dd581.html

As I've said before, there are many other buildings on campus named after racists (Geary Eppley has the Rec Center, Millard Tydings has the primary BSOS building on the Mall). Unless you're re-naming all of these buildings, I don't see how much good simply re-naming the football stadium is going to do.

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

The Diamondback: Wallace Loh forms a work group to help consider renaming Byrd Stadium
http://www.diamondba...2ca19dd581.html

As I've said before, there are many other buildings on campus named after racists (Geary Eppley has the Rec Center, Millard Tydings has the primary BSOS building on the Mall). Unless you're re-naming all of these buildings, I don't see how much good simply re-naming the football stadium is going to do.

You have a point. So do you endorse changing them all... or none?

#11 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

Are we also going to change the name of buildings named after our founding fathers?  What with them being slave-owners and all?

Seriously, where does it end?

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

You have a point. So do you endorse changing them all... or none?

I can't see the benefit of changing any of them. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, are we re-naming the Jefferson Memorial? So did George Washington, how about his memorial? We're not celebrating these men for their racism, we're celebrating them for their accomplishments for the University, or, in the cases of Jefferson and Washington, the country. Re-naming these buildings won't do anything to help how we treat racial issues on this campus or in this country. It's not like racism magically disappears if we change up some plaques.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

I can't see the benefit of changing any of them. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, are we re-naming the Jefferson Memorial? So did George Washington, how about his memorial? We're not celebrating these men for their racism, we're celebrating them for their accomplishments for the University, or, in the cases of Jefferson and Washington, the country. Re-naming these buildings won't do anything to help how we treat racial issues on this campus or in this country. It's not like racism magically disappears if we change up some plaques.

anigif_enhanced-10053-1442799689-2.gif

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@DJ_McCann

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Like I said above, changing the names of buildings (or tearing down monuments, or whatever) just starts you down a path with no end. I really believe you just have to find the right balance between honoring the contributions of these figures, but also not hiding (and hopefully learning) from their flaws. That's not easy. It never is.

• Markus likes this

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

Like I said above, changing the names of buildings (or tearing down monuments, or whatever) just starts you down a path with no end. I really believe you just have to find the right balance between honoring the contributions of these figures, but also not hiding (and hopefully learning) from their flaws. That's not easy. It never is.

Can we at least get rid of Christopher Columbus monuments?

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

No, and for the same basic reason.

@DJ_McCann

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

No, and for the same basic reason.

Well I don't know much about the history of Bryd, but I'm all for getting rid of Columbus Day and his monuments. That type of stuff should be reserved for better examples of humankind.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

Well I don't know much about the history of Bryd, but I'm all for getting rid of Columbus Day and his monuments. That type of stuff should be reserved for better examples of humankind.

There's a lot to be said about his character, or lack-of, but he still did something that no one had ever done before (sailing 3500 miles across open ocean) and, even if he wasn't the first Old-World explorer to reach the New World, was the primary means of exposure for both sides, for all of the good and bad that would eventually bring.

Columbus Day is mostly designed as an Italian-American holiday anyway--rename it Amerigo Vespucci Day, or Genoan Explorers Day, or something. But he should still be honored in many ways.

Besides, "Columbia" in all of its various forms is a pretty nice name for stuff.

@DJ_McCann

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

When I was still in school, there was very little if any mention of the explorers that reached the Americas before Columbus. I'm sure you would know better, but hopefully that has changed. And just as importantly, I hope that both sides of him are being taught. But I still don't think trying to erase him from history is the answer.

Of course, it would be a perfect chance for Ohio to change the name of their capital to McKinley, since some of them are miffed about the Alaskan peak being renamed Denali.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

There's a lot to be said about his character, or lack-of, but he still did something that no one had ever done before (sailing 3500 miles across open ocean) and, even if he wasn't the first Old-World explorer to reach the New World, was the primary means of exposure for both sides, for all of the good and bad that would eventually bring.

Columbus Day is mostly designed as an Italian-American holiday anyway--rename it Amerigo Vespucci Day, or Genoan Explorers Day, or something. But he should still be honored in many ways.

Besides, "Columbia" in all of its various forms is a pretty nice name for stuff.

His accomplishment was at least partially an accident and had already been done in a different way.

But sure, it's noteworthy to say the least. However, he's simply not one to celebrate imo. He's the type of historical figure that students should be deciding and debating over whether he's worthy of that after being presented with multiple facets of his life. He shouldn't be held up as exemplary example of our history, which is what monuments and national days suggest.

Btw, I don't think the man of his place and time argument works as well for him as it does others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=