#21 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:12 AM

Add anything with some fat to the turkey to make it less lean?

I find anything leaner than 80/20 beef is near impossible to keep juicy. Imagine ground turkey or chicken is really difficult. And those aren't meats you can safely cook medium or less, so even more tricky.

Not this time, but that's something I'll have to keep in mind for next time,  I'm always trying to experiment and try different stuff while grilling.   They weren't as juicy as a typical beef burger, but the jalapenos helped make up for that.

#22 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

1. Don't be an amateur, let your meat rest longer than you think it needs before cutting into it.

2. Just got some applewood and cherrywood chips. Let em soak in water for thirty minutes before grilling and sprinkle them on top of the hot coals. So easy, so delicious.

@DaKittenz

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

Used some of the grilling gear I got as wedding swag for the first time this week: made paella on the Weber grill using a 20" paella pan that we got as a gift.  My first time making this and I thought it turned out really great.  The photo doesn't really show off how much it made, we had 8 guests and only are half of the tray.  The red handles stuck out the side of the grill, that's how big it is.  Was pretty easy to make, too.  Definitely something I'll do again for big parties.

20150722_204146_zpspa5kuhaq.jpg?t=143767

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Made some pretty great jerk chicken last night.

Marinated chicken quarters overnight in a blend of green onions, fresh thyme, habanero peppers, garlic, ginger root, brown sugar, soy sauce, olive oil, lime zest & juice, allspice, nutmeg, and salt & pepper.  Marinade was basically a thin pesto consistency after being blended.  I used two habaneros to make about 1 1/2 cups of marinade, enough for 4 leg quarters.  It was a litle hot but not overwhelmingly so.  I'd add one more next time, though my wife thought it was plenty hot enough.

Grilled the marinated chicken over charcoal, seared both sides over the hot coals on one side of the grill and then moved to an indirect side and covered to finish cooking.  

Made a sauce from the reserved marinade plus pineapple juice and ketchup.  This was quite good.

#25 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

My son-in-law...

And a chance to win...

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

So my wife bought Match Light charcoal (never send the wife to buy charcoal). I've always heard the adages match light smells like lighter fluid and the food will taste that way too, etc...well I figured I wouldn't let it go to waste so last night I dumped the coals into the grill and lit them with my blowtorch. Ten mins later they were ready to start cooking and they stayed way hotter longer than regular coals. The food tasted great...maybe even a little better than with regular coals. Whenever I've used regular coals it seems like the temp decreases faster and not all the coals ignite despite using a chimney starter. So is it a sin that I actually found match light charcoal to be easier to use and taste just as good, if not better? Or should I turn in my man card?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

So my wife bought Match Light charcoal (never send the wife to buy charcoal). I've always heard the adages match light smells like lighter fluid and the food will taste that way too, etc...well I figured I wouldn't let it go to waste so last night I dumped the coals into the grill and lit them with my blowtorch. Ten mins later they were ready to start cooking and they stayed way hotter longer than regular coals. The food tasted great...maybe even a little better than with regular coals. Whenever I've used regular coals it seems like the temp decreases faster and not all the coals ignite despite using a chimney starter. So is it a sin that I actually found match light charcoal to be easier to use and taste just as good, if not better? Or should I turn in my man card?

Once the lighter fluid or whatever they soak it with to make it light is burned off, it's all the same stuff.  As long as you wait until it's ready, it's good to go.

The problem with Match Light is you can't top it off with more charcoal.  So if you're just doing something quick and everything is going to come off at the same time and then you are done cooking, it's perfectly fine.  But if you're going to be cooking for a long time and you need to add more charcoal, if you add more Match Light that lighter fluid smell/taste will get into your food.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#28 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

We just bought a Weber Genesis.  I can't believe how well these things cook.

I pissed so much money away on Char Broil shits over the years.  This Weber is amazing!!

@Miller192

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

I pissed so much money away on Char Broil shits over the years.  This Weber is amazing!!

Same here. I have had the Weber Spirit for 5 years and still going strong. Small gas grill, mostly for my wife and I. So much better than lesser brands.

I also have the Weber Smokey Joe for camping and when I feel like doing stuff on coals.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Did the same exact thing.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Grilled some really nice tuna and pineapple last night. Amazing! I have also really been into grilled veggies lately. Peppers, onions, green beans, asparagus, turnips, etc. We "marinate" them before hand, usually some kind of dressing or vinaigrette, and then grill them. They turn out really good.

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

Grilled some really nice tuna and pineapple last night. Amazing! I have also really been into grilled veggies lately. Peppers, onions, green beans, asparagus, turnips, etc. We "marinate" them before hand, usually some kind of dressing or vinaigrette, and then grill them. They turn out really good.

Grilled vegetables are great. I typically go with peppers, onions, asparagus, zucchini/squash, grape tomatoes, and diced red baby potatoes. Just a simple toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and some herbs.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, zucchini on the grill is good too. We also did eggplant. Turned out really well.

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

Here's an article by Daniel Vaughn on America's Test Kitchen's method for smoking a brisket on a Weber grill:

https://www.texasmon...nt=brisketgrill

#35 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:16 PM

Anyone have a winner old bay chicken recipe for the grill? I’m thinking about going with the recipe on the McCormack website but adding honey to give it some balance.

@fuzydunlop

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

Anyone have a winner old bay chicken recipe for the grill? I’m thinking about going with the recipe on the McCormack website but adding honey to give it some balance.

I’m assuming the answer is yes to this question but I know you aren’t up here but have you had the honey old bay flavored wings?

#37 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

Haha good point. I just haven’t experimented a ton myself. I tried balsamic with old bay, which was quite good.

@fuzydunlop

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

Haha good point. I just haven’t experimented a ton myself. I tried balsamic with old bay, which was quite good.

The honey old bay is amazing.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:24 AM

The honey old bay is amazing.

I made some honey old bay wings in the air fryer for the draft last Thursday. They were great.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:42 AM

I made some honey old bay wings in the air fryer for the draft last Thursday. They were great.

Yea, I did the same a month or so ago.

Not sure what it is about the combo but it’s damn good.

The Looneys up by me has really good honey old bay wings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=