#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Lol, Nickle the other night was hilarious. That was good stuff. He was definitely more angry than Rob and on the edge of his seat... and the whole "think we'll take it tonight, Rob?" shtick was great.

#22 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

Lol, Nickle the other night was hilarious. That was good stuff. He was definitely more angry than Rob and on the edge of his seat... and the whole "think we'll take it tonight, Rob?" shtick was great.

Agreed. He was the star of the night. 

Very well played by him. 

@beginthebegin71

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

Ha. 

9 of the last 25 National champs, bitch!!!

But "you guys" are better in Football!!!

#northwesternrocks! 

This article was interesting to me. B1G is very valuable in basketball too. 7 of the top 15. You see financially why it was a no brainer for MD to make the move. 

http://www.wsj.com/a...orth-1427903905

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

This article was interesting to me. Not trying to make anything out of it. B1G is very valuable in basketball too. 7 of the top 15. You see financially why it was a no brainer for MD to make the move. 

http://www.wsj.com/a...orth-1427903905

That is interesting. 

I know Terps made the right call, I just miss the tradition, that's all. 

@beginthebegin71

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

That is interesting. 

I know Terps made the right call, I just miss the tradition, that's all. 

Unfortunately, tradition is no more in college sports.

#26 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

You're right, and it sucks. 

The big East 30 for 30 was on the other day, and what happened there was just sickening, Basketball wise. 

@beginthebegin71

#27 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

You're right, and it sucks. 

The big East 30 for 30 was on the other day, and what happened there was just sickening, Basketball wise. 

That documentary is a fucking mockery. Only reason it was made is because the new conference went to FS1.

#28 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

That documentary is a fucking mockery. Only reason it was made is because the new conference went to FS1.

Wow. That's quite the stretch. 

The old Big East, and the rivalries in the 80s was the heart of that 30 for 30...I don't think Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Eddie Pickney, Pearl Washington, and the fact that Football ruined a great a Basketball conference has anything to do with what you mentioned. 

@beginthebegin71

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Wow. That's quite the stretch. 

The old Big East, and the rivalries in the 80s was the heart of that 30 for 30...I don't think Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Eddie Pickney, Pearl Washington, and the fact that Football ruined a great a Basketball conference has anything to do with what you mentioned. 

My point is that documentary is not directed and televised on ESPN (I believe it was after the national championship or maybe a selection sunday?) if the Big East Conference (as it is today) still has a television contract with ESPN.

That documentary would have hurt their own product, hence it not being shown. The fact that the league went with FS1 (which currently has definitely made the league money but the viewing numbers have been a disappointment) is why ESPN has had an agenda against the current makeup of the conference.

#30 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

My point is that documentary is not directed and televised on ESPN (I believe it was after the national championship or maybe a selection sunday?) if the Big East Conference (as it is today) still has a television contract with ESPN.

That documentary would have hurt their own product, hence it not being shown. The fact that the league went with FS1 (which currently has definitely made the league money but the viewing numbers have been a disappointment) is why ESPN has had an agenda against the current makeup of the conference.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I don't see it. 

Just made for a great story in my opinion. Don't think there was any grand conspiracy behind it. 

@beginthebegin71

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

They should have just renamed the new conference.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Agreed. 

On their own, they have some very strong Basketball programs still, but it's just not the same.  

@beginthebegin71

#33 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Just curious, but why?

#34 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

Just curious, but why?

Not to speak for Bop, but when almost half of the original teams are gone (Syracuse, Connecticut, BC, Pitt) it's not the same. 

Not counting Louisville, Notre Dame, Va Tech, Miami...etc as "real" Big East schools. 

Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Xavier. Marquette...etc are really good Basketball programs for the most part, and need a different identity than we had in the past. 

However, the Big East name is obviously worth a ton, so they'll never change it. 

Again though, I'm old, not really into Football (which I know dictates most if not all of these changes) and don't like the change all around college sports..Certainly nothing personal against the Big East. I hate what the ACC has become for the most part too. 

@beginthebegin71

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just curious, but why?

Because it's basically a completely different conference. It's 10 private Catholic schools that don't play football. It's not the Big East -- at all and it's an insult to the fans of the former conference to still call it that.

@bopper33

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just curious, but why?

Not to speak for Bop, but when almost half of the original teams are gone (Syracuse, Connecticut, BC, Pitt) it's not the same.

Not counting Louisville, Notre Dame, Va Tech, Miami...etc as "real" Big East schools.

Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Xavier. Marquette...etc are really good Basketball programs for the most part, and need a different identity than we had in the past.

However, the Big East name is obviously worth a ton, so they'll never change it. it.
I think that's basically it. The marketing aspect you cannot leave behind. It, along with the relationship with MSG, has way too much value.

I wasn't alive to see the conference form in the late 70s, but it is worth noting that the original members of the Big East conference are still in it today.

CBB fans may think that the Big East was Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, etc. but for the 6 or so original members, the Big East brand is part of their background. You can't split one from the other.

#37 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

Just curious, but why?

Because it's basically a completely different conference.  It's 10 private schools with religious affiliations that don't play football.  It's not the Big East -- at all and it's an insult to the fans of the former conference to still call it that.

I think we must have posted at the same time so see my comment above.

As for your last remark- Couldn't the original Big Ten fans say the same thing about Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers?

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

As for your last remark- Couldn't the original Big Ten fans say the same thing about Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers?

No because pretty much every charter member of the Big 10 is still in the conference. 

If the Big 10 booted Michigan, MSU, OSU, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota and added 5 or so random schools and still called themselves the Big 10 I'd feel the same way.

@bopper33

#39 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

I think that's basically it. The marketing aspect you cannot leave behind. It, along with the relationship with MSG, has way too much value.

I wasn't alive to see the conference form in the late 70s, but it is worth noting that the original members of the Big East conference are still in it today.

CBB fans may think that the Big East was Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, etc. but for the 6 or so original members, the Big East brand is part of their background. You can't split one from the other.

Great point. That's definitely a key. 

Villanova, GT, SH, Prov, SJU are still in...5 of 9. Though I think Pitt came in the second or third year, so 5 of 8 really. Cuse, BC, Uconn gone. So, ok, that's fair. 

@beginthebegin71

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

No because pretty much every charter member of the Big 10 is still in the conference. 

If the Big 10 booted Michigan, MSU, OSU, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota and added 5 or so random schools and still called themselves the Big 10 I'd feel the same way.

But the charter members are still in the Big East besides UConn and Syracuse.

Georgetown Villanova Seton Hall Providence St John's are all charter members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=