Photo

If You Could Change The Outcome Of One Play...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

I'll pick one for each of my teams.

O's: Armando Benitez, 1997

Ravens: Lee Evans, 2011-12

Terps BBall: Korie Lucious, 2010

Terps Football: That's a tough one. Off the top of my head, I'll go with 2012, Brad Craddock making that 33-yd FG against NC State as time expired, instead of hitting it off the upright. But that game didn't have anywhere near the magnitude of the other three.

• DJ MC likes this

#22 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

2004 ALCS, game 4. Dave Roberts caught stealing at second base.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

First thought was ruling McLouth's hit a HR In game 5 of the 2012 ALDS. But that's probably recent memory prevailing.
  • You Play to Win the Game and DJ MC like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Lee Evans definitely comes to mind. The other one that immediately popped up was the Terps losing to MSU in the NCAAs in Gary's last trip. The way that game ended was absolutely heart-breaking, especially considering how much more everyone wanted Greivis to be able to get out of his last year.

I thought of that one, too.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@DJ_McCann

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

I'll pick one for each of my teams.

O's: Armando Benitez, 1997

Ravens: Lee Evans, 2011-12

Terps BBall: Korie Lucious, 2010

Terps Football: That's a tough one. Off the top of my head, I'll go with 2012, Brad Craddock making that 33-yd FG against NC State as time expired, instead of hitting it off the upright. But that game didn't have anywhere near the magnitude of the other three.

Terps football is definitely tough. The Craddock one is good, especially the way they came back in that game after using 3 QBs who had never previously taken a collegiate snap. The one that pops into my head is the Rutgers game this past season. Just being able to get that 4th and inches would have given them the opportunity to run out the clock and win the game with a FG. Would have resulted in an 8-win regular season, and likely a slightly better bowl game.

@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

A little before my time, but...

Super Bowl III, last play of the 1st Half, the Colts run a flea-flicker, but QB Earl Morrall doesn't see a wide open Jimmy Orr at the end zone, and instead throws to a covered receiver and gets intercepted by the Jets. It was 7-0 Jets at that point, and Morrall was benched for Johnny Unitas in the 2nd Half....but the Colts were moving the ball effectively before that final play of the half, and many say that changed the momentum and complexion of the game. Interesting to imagine how NFL history might be different if the Colts had won.

• Don Quixote likes this

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

Terps football is definitely tough. The Craddock one is good, especially the way they came back in that game after using 3 QBs who had never previously taken a collegiate snap. The one that pops into my head is the Rutgers game this past season. Just being able to get that 4th and inches would have given them the opportunity to run out the clock and win the game with a FG. Would have resulted in an 8-win regular season, and likely a slightly better bowl game.

Usually you go with a play where there was a lot on the line, but college football being a different animal in terms of being a championship contender, that's not as easy. I just can't recall a time when the Terps were a legitimate contender for a national championship and a crucial game slipped away on one play. Usually all that is on the line there is making a bowl game, or making a more prestigious one. Just not the same.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

This is more officiating, but I'd like to see what would have happened if that bullshit 5th foul on Lonny Baxter in the 2001 Semis wasn't called.

#%@! dook!....I hope they get the ass-beating of a lifetime Saturday.

• Don Quixote likes this

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

Lee Evans hands down. Still pisses me off even after beating those cocks the next year and winning SB.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

I put the Cundiff/Evans fiasco to rest after the Super Bowl the next year.

So for me, it'd be the Nate McLouth foul ball off CC Sabathia in game 5 of the ALDS in 2012. If that's a home run, I think there's a very good chance the O's win that series.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

First thought was ruling McLouth's hit a HR In game 5 of the 2012 ALDS. But that's probably recent memory prevailing.

Damn - I totally missed this post before I made mine. My bad. But yeah, I agree. Obviously.

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

The fact that we won the SB the year after the Evans play lessens the importance of that one to me.  At this point Flacco's lazy pick to end the game against the Pats this year bugs me even more. So I would pick that play before the Evans one if I was just deciding between those two.  There are probably several plays from the home playoff loss against the Colts that probably could have changed the outcome of that game.

Jeffrey Maier is certainly worth consideration,  maybe something from the 2012 series against the Yanks.  Is there any one play from the 69 series that could have changed the outcome of that series?  Perhaps resulting in a 3 peat for the O's rather than just the one WS?

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

It doesn't matter if we won the SB the following year...we could have won back-to-back SB's had we beaten NE that year. The Giants were the hot team but I think we could have beaten them.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

The fact that we won the SB the year after the Evans play lessens the importance of that one to me.  At this point Flacco's lazy pick to end the game against the Pats this year bugs me even more. So I would pick that play before the Evans one if I was just deciding between those two.  There are probably several plays from the home playoff loss against the Colts that probably could have changed the outcome of that game.

Yeah I agree. I don't really blame Flacco too much for taking his shot there, but knowing the outcome now, I'd go back and have him just run for the first down there. If he does that, he potentially throws a fifth touchdown pass a few plays later, wins the game, and we go on to bitchslap the Colts.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

My ranks:

1. Lee Evans catches the damn ball.

2. Tarasco catches that deep fly ball that that little twerp interfered with.

3. Flacco throws a TD instead of a INT against NE in divisional round.

4. McClouth HR instead of foul ball vs NYY.

5. McClouth or Hardy base hit with bases loaded in bottom of 8th inning in game 5.

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

Jay Williams missing FTs vs Indiana would rank way up there for me.

Lee Evans is a good one.

Be nice if Jones could have tracked that jeter hit that went over his head.

#37 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

The college football talk just reminded me: this past season, Notre Dame-FSU, the late go-ahead touchdown that didn't count because of the pick called on the receiver.

I won't change anything about the play, but the call doesn't get made, Irish win in a thrilling comeback drive. After that loss, their season spiraled. Sure, there were a lot of injuries on defense, and Golson was a turnover machine, but I think that game was a turning point.

#38 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Korie Lucious is certainly the main one for me.  Terps had a great chance to reach the Final Four if that didn't happen.

The other big one is Ibanez' homerun off Johnson in Game 3 of the 2012 LDS.  O's probably win that Series if not for that.

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

The Terps weren't a contender in '10 so it wasn't that big a deal. You take away a play of a team that had a real shot of doing something. I mean maybe something from the '01 FF game against Duke but no one play comes to mind as a potential difference maker.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

The Terps weren't a contender in '10 so it wasn't that big a deal. You take away a play of a team that had a real shot of doing something. I mean maybe something from the '01 FF game against Duke but no one play comes to mind as a potential difference maker.

http://en.wikipedia....ball_Tournament

They would have gone up (as a four-seed) against a nine-seed (Northern Iowa) and a six-seed (Tennessee), both of whom Michigan State beat to reach the Final Four, before losing to Butler.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=