Photo

If You Could Change The Outcome Of One Play...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

http://deadspin.com/...woul-1695280195

Jeffrey Maier is too easy, and likely didn't matter enough in the long run.

Lee Evans holding on to the ball would be a good choice.

I'm going with Ramon Hernandez catches the foul pop in the bottom of the ninth on Mother's Day 2007. Keeps Guthrie in the game throwing a three-hit shutout, and probably doesn't lead to the six runs Baez and Ray give up to lose. Not an important moment overall, especially considering the whole stretch of losing, just a particularly heartbreaking one.

@DJ_McCann

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

http://deadspin.com/...woul-1695280195

Jeffrey Maier is too easy, and likely didn't matter enough in the long run.

Lee Evans holding on to the ball would be a good choice.

I'm going with Ramon Hernandez catches the foul pop in the bottom of the ninth on Mother's Day 2007. Keeps Guthrie in the game throwing a three-hit shutout, and probably doesn't lead to the six runs Baez and Ray give up to lose. Not an important moment overall, especially considering the whole stretch of losing, just a particularly heartbreaking one.

Oh, stop being ridiculous. A random Ramon Hernandez dropped ball in '07 is not the play you would change.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

Oh, stop being ridiculous. A random Ramon Hernandez dropped ball in '07 is not the play you would change.

Well?

@DJ_McCann

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Well?

It's something I really have to ponder. Good thought exercise. Just don't feed me some random, completely irrelevant play as the choice.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

It's something I really have to ponder. Good thought exercise. Just don't feed me some random, completely irrelevant play as the choice.

Where does this rank for you?

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

OK, so, tell me what my choice should be.

@DJ_McCann

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Where does this rank for you?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6XsZVb-ZE"]https://www.youtube....6XsZVb-ZE[/url][/url]

If I was going to troll it would have been the post I made. Thought about it already.LOL. I mean dont get me wrong, I'd love to change that one. Ultimately, it would have to be one involving one of my teams.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

It would probably be the Grisson HR in Gm 2 in '97.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Since apparently my first choice was not up to the high standards of some people, I'll offer another one.

Sandy Alomar doesn't get all of the pitch he doubled down the left field line with one out in the ninth with Mike Mussina two outs from a perfect game.

@DJ_McCann

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

October 12, 2012, top of the 8th inning, Game 5 of the ALDS. Bases Loaded, one out, O's down 3-1. 

McLouth Strikes out looking on a Sabathia hook, and then Hardy hits a little dribbler to Jeter and he throws him out...

I'd absolutely have Hardy hit a three run double in the gap to give the O's the lead. 

• DJ MC likes this
@beginthebegin71

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

In recent memory, Its the Seahawks throwing on the one yard line. Damn Patriots cheat/luck their way to another title.

Locally, I wish Jeter would have struck out in his final AB. Instead of the Os gift wrapping them yet another moment in history. Shift everyone away from the hole he always goes through, pitch low and away where he always hits said pitch though the giant hole they gave him. Kakes double clutching the throw like he never does, Joseph the catcher cant CATCH the ball to atleast save the game winning run. The whole thing makes me sick......i'll go with that since Lee Evans was already said. Not a lot of single outcome heartbreak in Baltimore. Obviously I would change four outcomes from the ALCS.
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

On Twitter I definitely responded with a Lee Evans catch in the corner of the end zone. It was the first thing that came to mind.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

The Ravens won in 00 and again in '12. It took the sting away from the Evans drop. The Os haven't won since '83. Haven't been to the WS since '83. Don't remember it. The '97 Grissom HR gets us closer to anything else the Os did in '12 or '14. That non HR wins us game 2.Gives us a 2-0 series lead. I think we coast from there. Even if everything had played out the same, we still would have had GM 7 at home.
  • DJ MC likes this

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

The Ravens won in 00 and again in '12. It took the sting away from the Evans drop. The Os haven't won since '83. Haven't been to the WS since '83. Don't remember it. The '97 Grissom HR gets us closer to anything else the Os did in '12 or '14. That non HR wins us game 2.Gives us a 2-0 series lead. I think we coast from there. Even if everything had played out the same, we still would have had GM 7 at home.

That's a really good one to be honest..

That whole series was just plain wacky. The Mussina brilliance in game 3, followed by the "not foul tip" on the last play of the game....Game 4 where two runs scored on Arthur Rhodes wild pitch, only to lose that one late as well. 

Game 6, a sequence no one EVER talks about.. Bottom of the first, Brady leads off with a walk...We decide to hit & run (which we never did) and Alomar hits a shot headed to CF, but Vizquel was headed to second to cover on the steal and he turns an easy unassisted Double play...Berroa ropes a double which might have been a 2 run double if not for the hit & run..., Baines then walks, Raffy K's to end the inning. 

Should have, could have been a big inning. Of course, we literally never threaten again the entire game and lose 1-0 in extras. Lose the series 4-2. 

Still haunts me. 

Seriously. 

@beginthebegin71

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

That's a really good one to be honest..

That whole series was just plain wacky. The Mussina brilliance in game 3, followed by the "not foul tip" on the last play of the game....Game 4 where two runs scored on Arthur Rhodes wild pitch, only to lose that one late as well. 

Game 6, a sequence no one EVER talks about.. Bottom of the first, Brady leads off with a walk...We decide to hit & run (which we never did) and Alomar hits a shot headed to CF, but Vizquel was headed to second to cover on the steal and he turns an easy unassisted Double play...Berroa ropes a double which might have been a 2 run double if not for the hit & run..., Baines then walks, Raffy K's to end the inning. 

Should have, could have been a big inning. Of course, we literally never threaten again the entire game and lose 1-0 in extras. Lose the series 4-2. 

Still haunts me. 

Seriously. 

Yes, there was more than 1 play you could chose from in that series. The Grissom one was still the biggest IMO. We win that game outright without that horrible Benitez pitch. Easily haunts me more than any other series, game, or moment.  More than the Evans drop, the Duke chokes in '01,etc

#17 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Yes, there was more than 1 play you could chose from in that series. The Grissom one was still the biggest IMO. We win that game outright without that horrible Benitez pitch. Easily haunts me more than any other series, game, or moment.  More than the Evans drop, the Duke chokes in '01,etc

Agree that a 2-0 lead would have seemed to much for Cleveland to overcome. Yea, I'm still not over it either

@beginthebegin71

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

In game 7 of the '79 World series, Eddie Murray came up in like the 8th inning and hit what would have been a go ahead homer, except it died on the warning track. I might change that one.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#19 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

December 28th 2003 this play....

2nd and 10 at PIT 48

Jamal Lewis (BAL) rushed for 1 yard.

Why this play you ask?  There was a huge hole just to the right of Lewis.  He hit the wrong hole because he was side stepping and someones sloppy arm tackle took him out of the right one.  If he would have found it he would have beat Eric Dickersons record against our rival on the last game of the year.  Eric Dickerson would not have been holding a stupid 17 years and counting sign on national tv he would have been crying :)

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

Lee Evans definitely comes to mind. The other one that immediately popped up was the Terps losing to MSU in the NCAAs in Gary's last trip. The way that game ended was absolutely heart-breaking, especially considering how much more everyone wanted Greivis to be able to get out of his last year.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=