Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

http://www.entrepren... ... d1-50.html

I did this to show how little it matters about getting overworked on a player drafted in the later rounds. It was also really fun to look back at each round though and see the values of some players drafted. Hope you guys enjoy.
  • BSLChrisStoner and SammyBirdland like this

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Tucker and I (and others, not sure if any others are BSL posters) were discussing earlier this week on how some were making too big of a deal about the Ryan Ripken pick. I don't think too many are disputing that his last name played a part in his selection. But the point being that a 3rd day pick will most likely never see an MLB field, especially now with the new structure(can't exactly make big bucks being a 20th round pick with the new CBA). And the big thing to take away is if the Orioles selected a "worse" player with the 20th round pick, nobody would've cared. Last point, you don't sign all your picks anyways, although I guess since were down to 40 rounds, a higher percentage might sign.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@levineps

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Very interesting... thanks for the research.

#4 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Appreciate it.

Hopefully a few of this years' picks knock off a few from this list!

#5 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Tucker and I (and others, not sure if any others are BSL posters) were discussing earlier this week on how some were making too big of a deal about the Ryan Ripken pick. I don't think too many are disputing that his last name played a part in his selection. But the point being that a 3rd day pick will most likely never see an MLB field, especially now with the new structure(can't exactly make big bucks being a 20th round pick with the new CBA). And the big thing to take away is if the Orioles selected a "worse" player with the 20th round pick, nobody would've cared. Last point, you don't sign all your picks anyways, although I guess since were down to 40 rounds, a higher percentage might sign.

Political picks are made by all teams all the time. OF COURSE the O's took Ryan Ripken because of his last name. It's just what teams do. TONS of examples of this all over the place.
@BSLLukeJackson

#6 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Political picks are made by all teams all the time. OF COURSE the O's took Ryan Ripken because of his last name. It's just what teams do. TONS of examples of this all over the place.

Alex Avila, Mike Piazza, Tony Gwynn Jr, etc.
From this year alone there was a few people drafted with their father working with the club.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Alex Avila, Mike Piazza, Tony Gwynn Jr, etc.
From this year alone there was a few people drafted with their father working with the club.

Tony Gwynn Jr was actually drafted by the Brewers in the 2nd round so safe to say he was legit.

Mike Piazza my favorite example of a courtesy pick who actually turned out to be good (3rd day pick), not sure of how many of those they're actually are. Since there's not that many rounds now, he might have just been signed as a FA today.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=