Photo

For those of you who have seen the movie Whiplash....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

...would you want to learn from or have your kids learn from a teacher like the one played by JK Simmons in that movie?

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:00 PM

Nope. Absolutely not. He shouldn't be allowed to teach.

Great movie though. And he'll of a performance by JK and Miles Teller (who is very underrated, IMO).
  • BobPhelan likes this

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:09 PM

Nope. Absolutely not. He shouldn't be allowed to teach.Great movie though. And he'll of a performance by JK and Miles Teller (who is very underrated, IMO).

What about how he did things would bother you the most, whether it be you or if it were your child?

The cussing? Degrading? Throwing stuff?

Or is there not just one thing that really stands out?

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

The degrading and throwing stuff. Passion is great. But not being able to control it is dangerous.

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

I think that method can work for some people (maybe not to that extreme) but it never has for me. I think you need to get a feel for who you're teaching and change your methods accordingly. He was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

But no I wouldn't want my kids taught by him, even if it did make for a great movie.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

The thing is, it was selfish. He wanted to produce a legend. So he took desperate measures to get the most out of his students. And he crossed the line many times because to him the ends justified the means. If you want to be truly great, you endure the hardest teachings and experiences along the way. That of course isn't true. But that was how JK's character justified his actions. Now, at the end of the movie, after being humbled, while still an ass, he didn't really cross any lines... he pushed the exact button that got Miles Teller to turn in that epic closing performance. He finally evolved and saw the payoff he worked a lifetime for.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

I think there are a lot of positives to having a teacher/coach, etc...like this.

It's kind of like, would you want your kid to play for Bobby Knight.

Now...I'm not sure how to answer this question but I know I'm not totally opposed to it either.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

I think there are a lot of positives to having a teacher/coach, etc...like this.

It's kind of like, would you want your kid to plan for Bobby Knight.

Now...I'm not sure how to answer this question but I know I'm not totally opposed to it either.

Does having a son change this for you?

Also, I hope Bob Knight wasn't so routinely abusive.

#9 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have seen olympic coaching upclose and it looks a lot like that. It takes a lot of pushing to keep them so focused. Would i want that for my daughter? If I knew her goals, was kept in the loop I could see me saying ok. I would have a tough time though.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

The abuse, even if it works (in terms of achieving the desired result), is DEFINITELY not worth the emotional ramifications long term, IMO. Is winning a contest or a sporting event really more important than living a good life?

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Does having a son change this for you? Also, I hope Bob Knight wasn't so routinely abusive.

No. I don't care about the cussing at all.

I also think that if you are trying to get into a field like that, you have to know how to take criticism and you need teachers to be hard on you. Toughening you up isn't a bad thing...I mean, it is in today's society but that's bs.

However, there is a line. I think I would wanted want quite this level but it wouldn't have to be much better either.

But again, that is a different type of field.

My wife went a performing arts HS and she was a dancer. She said she had a teacher that basically made you feel bad when you screwed up...and she said he did more to help her than any teacher she had. So, I think there's a positive with this.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

The abuse, even if it works (in terms of achieving the desired result), is DEFINITELY not worth the emotional ramifications long term, IMO. Is winning a contest or a sporting event really more important than living a good life?

Who is say it does effect you long term?

I think you have to know what your child is like.

There are definitely kids where you couldn't do this for. There are others where they would be good with it.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Who is say it does effect you long term?

I think you have to know what your child is like.

There are definitely kids where you couldn't do this for. There are others where they would be good with it.

My point is, a character like the one JK played is in a position to decide if his style will work for his students? He's qualified to make that kind of determination?

It isn't right. You can't do that shit because it will effect most of his students, if not all, long term in an overall negative fashion.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

My point is, a character like the one JK played is in a position to decide if his style will work for his students? He's qualified to make that kind of determination?It isn't right. You can't do that shit because it will effect most of his students, if not all, long term in an overall negative fashion.

Every one of those students knew what he was like and they could have left at any time.

But they know he is getting the best out of them.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

Every one of those students knew what he was like and they could have left at any time.

But they know he is getting the best out of them.

They know they're getting the best out of them with respect to whatever their current short term goals are. But most don't realize that the type of abuse that takes place has real long term effects.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

And yeah, I'm all for a bit of tough love. It's an effective form of motivation, that's just a fact. But those lines are not to be crossed, and JK crossed them a ton. So the answer to your initial question has to be no, IMO.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

They know they're getting the best out of them with respect to whatever their current short term goals are. But most don't realize that the type of abuse that takes place has real long term effects.

What did he do that will have long term effects?

Cussing? Throwing a chair?

It's the name calling, putting you down, etc...but a lot of that I think you can brush off, especially if you consider the source.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

What did he do that will have long term effects?

Cussing? Throwing a chair?

It's the name calling, putting you down, etc...but a lot of that I think you can brush off, especially if you consider the source.

I'm not a shrink, but I do know that lesser than that has ended up having significant long term impacts in my own life. So there is no doubt that type of consistent tension and behavior in such a demeaning way could have an impact. Although, once college aged, probably more easily able to brush off, perhaps.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

I'm not a shrink, but I do know that lesser than that has ended up having significant long term impacts in my own life. So there is no doubt that type of consistent tension and behavior in such a demeaning way could have an impact. Although, once college aged, probably more easily able to brush off, perhaps.

Oh, I agree that it can cause mental issues.

But you are assuming that it will. That's where I disagree.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

I've only watched the Trailer and not the movie, but Fuck that guy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=