http://www.cbssports...draft/big-board

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Goodman has Lillard much lower than I've seen in other mocks. He's someone I had hoped the Blazers could get at #11. It's a shame for them this draft is so weak in PGs, a year when they have two lottery picks and such a desperate need.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Terrence Ross and Will Barton are being underrated in many mocks.

#4 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Terrence Ross and Will Barton are being underrated in many mocks.

I agree on Ross, but haven't seen enough on Barton to have a fully formed opinion.

To BoB- I was hoping on a PG for the Hornets at 10, but agree this is a weaker draft for that.

#5 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Should be a big night for the Tar Heel contingent..

I'm expecting big things from BarnesZellerHensonMarshall.
@beginthebegin71

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

I agree on Ross, but haven't seen enough on Barton to have a fully formed opinion.

To BoB- I was hoping on a PG for the Hornets at 10, but agree this is a weaker draft for that.

Since working out here last Friday, I've heard more chatter that the Blazers came away impressed with Lillard and may like him at #6.

#7 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Is it probable the Bobcats draft Beal at #2?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Is it probable the Bobcats draft Beal at #2?

It's possible..they should but if you feel Barnes' head is where it should be, he would be a great pick too.

Robinson is also a possibility.

MJ and the Bobcats MUST hit on this pick.

#9 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Should be a big night for the Tar Heel contingent..

I'm expecting big things from BarnesZellerHensonMarshall.

I hate to say it, but when was the last time a Tar Heel lived up to his draft hype? Honestly, of all the guys who have come out in the past 13 years, how many have been stars?

Ty Lawson could potentially grow into being a star. Hansbrough played like a star in the second half of his sophomore year when he was starting and getting significant minutes, but he's since been relegated back to a reserve role. The others, not so much.

1999 No one picked
2000 No one picked
2001 Brendan Haywood, #20 overall, solid but underwhelming NBA center (7.2 ppg/6.2 rpg)
2001 Joseph Forte, #21 overall, bust (25 total games)
2002 No one picked
2003 No one picked
2004 No one picked
2005 Marvin Williams, #2 overall, solid but underwhelming NBA forward (11.5 ppg/5.3 rpg)
2005 Raymond Felton, #5 overall, solid but underwhelming NBA guard (13.4 ppg/6.7 apg)
2005 Sean May, #13 overall, bust (119 total games), primarily because of injuries
2005 Rashad McCants, #14 overall, somewhat of a bust (10.0 ppg on 43% shooting)
2006 David Noel, #39 overall, played one year on the deep bench
2007 Brandan Wright, #8 overall, bust (5.9 ppg/3.2 rpg)
2007 Reyshawn Terry, #44 overall, never played in NBA
2008 No one picked
2009 Tyler Hansbrough, #13 overall, solid but underwhelming NBA forward (9.9 ppg/4.8 rpg)
2009 Ty Lawson, #18 overall, solid but underwhelming NBA guard (12.0 ppg, 4.8 apg)
2009 Wayne Ellington, #28 overall, reserve NBA guard (6.5 ppg in 18 mpg)
2009 Danny Green, #46 overall, has become a key role player (7.3 ppg in 18 mpg shooting 42% from 3)
2010 Ed Davis, #13 overall, so-so so far (7.0 ppg/6.9 rpg in 23 mpg)
2011 No one picked

So of all of those picks, the only player who has truly lived up to (and exceeded) his draft slot has been Danny Freakin' Green.

That's not to say that some of these guys might not develop eventually. Lawson, Wright, Davis, even Hansbrough to an extent, could become much more important players than they are now. But so far, no one is an instant superstar.

And that makes me wonder about the next batch.

Henson has the same feel as Wright and Davis had. Long, lean shot blocker with limited offensive games, who might take a while to develop, if they develop at all.

Barnes has the McCants feel, although I am a lot more confident that he'll be a decent player than I ever was with a headcase like McCants.

Marshall seems like a good bet to be a good PG, but he's never going to be a scorer, so how good can he possibly be? The comparisons to Mark Jackson feel right (9-10 ppg/8-10 apg).

And Zeller? If he develops his outside shot enough, he could become a Rik Smits type, but he'd really have to bulk up a lot more. I think he's more likely to become a Chris Kaman-type than a star.

So I'm more cautious than overly optimistic about this UNC draft class. Much as I want them to succeed, I don't see a Carter or Jamison in the bunch. Those were the last Tar Heels draftees to really make it big, and that was in 1998.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Any chance that Tu Holloway gets taken late in the 2nd round?

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Lawson and Hansbrough have definitely lived up to where they were picked imo, especially the former.

#12 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Lawson and Hansbrough have definitely lived up to where they were picked imo, especially the former.

Really? I don't think Hansbrough was worth the #13 overall pick at this point. I think he could be worth it given more playing time. And I think he's as good if not better than what many people were predicting for him. But that's different than justifying the #13 overall pick.

As for Lawson, I guess I agree that he's lived up to his draft slot, but he's not quite made the jump to the next level that I was hoping for. I think he's got the best shot of any of the recent Carolina guys to become that higher-level player.

-Walter Sobchak

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Really? I don't think Hansbrough was worth the #13 overall pick at this point. I think he could be worth it given more playing time. And I think he's as good if not better than what many people were predicting for him. But that's different than justifying the #13 overall pick.

As for Lawson, I guess I agree that he's lived up to his draft slot, but he's not quite made the jump to the next level that I was hoping for. I think he's got the best shot of any of the recent Carolina guys to become that higher-level player.

For the 13th pick, a good bench player who can be a decent starter if need be is pretty much all you can expect. Sure, occasionally the 13th pick produces a great player, but a solid 22 minute a game player is something to be satisfied with from that pick imo. Look at his draft, so far he's around the 9th or 10th best player. Look at recent 13th picks and you'd have to go back to Richard Jefferson to find someone clearly better than Tyler. Thabo Sefolosha was also picked 13th; otherwise, it's a pretty bleak list.

And Lawson may not have lived up to your expectation, but he's been really really good for the 18th pick. A 19.4 PER is quite good and would be even if he was the 5th pick.

#14 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

For the 13th pick, a good bench player who can be a decent starter if need be is pretty much all you can expect. Sure, occasionally the 13th pick produces a great player, but a solid 22 minute a game player is something to be satisfied with from that pick imo. Look at his draft, so far he's around the 9th or 10th best player. Look at recent 13th picks and you'd have to go back to Richard Jefferson to find someone clearly better than Tyler. Thabo Sefolosha was also picked 13th; otherwise, it's a pretty bleak list.

And Lawson may not have lived up to your expectation, but he's been really really good for the 18th pick. A 19.4 PER is quite good and would be even if he was the 5th pick.

Excellent, I'm glad to hear this. It makes me feel much better as a Carolina fan.

-Walter Sobchak

#15 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm hoping that the Hornets don't go after a PG. They still have Greivis Vásquez on the team. Let him be the starting PG.
@mrbeanage

#16 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

According to the Charlotte Observer, there are rumors gaining steam that the Cavs could try to leapfrog Wizards to select Beal:

There's been a a lot of chatter since the Okafor/Ariza trade that the Cavs, knowing full well the Wizards intend to draft Bradley Beal at No. 3, could swap their No. 4 pick with the Bobcats' No. 2 selection. Since the Cavs have another late first round pick, such a deal is not only realistic, it also makes a lot of sense for both teams (assuming the Cavs really love Beal and the Cats don't seem much difference between T-Rob/MKG/Beal/Barnes).

-Walter Sobchak

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

According to the Charlotte Observer, there are rumors gaining steam that the Cavs could try to leapfrog Wizards to select Beal:

Yeah, that would make sense for both teams since the Bobcats don't seem to love Beal.

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Hornets are in a position where they should mostly take the best player available. They're in a complete rebuild and only have two players of any real importance once they draft Davis so they're pretty flexible in terms of who they can pick.

For PG, there's a chance Lillard could drop to them and they could draft Marshall, who may be a bit of reach to some, but I like him quite a bit.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Nice profile on Lillard in today's Oregonian.

http://www.oregonliv...il-blazers.html

He seems like a bit of a 'tweener to me as far as the Blazers are concerned.....maybe a bit of a reach at #6 but unlikely to be around at #11. Given the need for a PG and his apparent love of basketball, work ethic and high character I'd be fine if they reached a couple picks for him at 6.

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

The Rockets traded Chase Budinger and the rights to a player in Israel to Minnesota for the #18 pick. That gives Houston picks #14, #16 and #18. Definitely sounds like they are gearing up to make a big offer to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=