#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

The Diamondback: Big Ten introduces proposal to rule freshmen ineligible for men's basketball, football

http://www.diamondba...4b843c100a.html

So, should there be a mandatory redshirt year for freshmen? I don't mind it. Like it mentions in the article, if education is really #1 (which it should be), this is probably a good move. Worth noting that Maryland's academics among student-athletes is at an all-time high. I believe the football team has graduated over 99% of its athletes under Randy Edsall.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

In most cases with football, you would like to RS guys if you are in position to do so.

I think having that as the rule for Big Ten basketball (if the other conferences don't adopt) would be horrible. You don't want to be the major conference that tells elite players they have no chance of being 1 and done.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Ha good luck with that

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

Fucking awful idea, and ten times moreso for basketball.  That would diminish the Big Ten to something clearly below the rest of the other major conferences, pretty much down to mid-major status.  No top-50 prospects will ever sign on with a Big Ten team if they do that.

The rule will never happen, though.

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and BobPhelan like this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

There's a reason they got rid of that rule back in the 70's.

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Fucking awful idea, and ten times moreso for basketball.  That would diminish the Big Ten to something clearly below the rest of the other major conferences, pretty much down to mid-major status.  No top-50 prospects will ever sign on with a Big Ten team if they do that.

The rule will never happen, though.

The Big Ten would not do it alone, the article implies that. They just want to initiate the discussion to see if the rest of the NCAA would go along. And yeah, it's an awful idea.

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and Icterus galbula like this

#7 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

The Big Ten would not do it alone, the articles implies that. They just want to initiate the discussion to see if the rest of the NCAA would go along. And yeah, it's an awful idea.

If it was a rule for everywhere, I don't see why it's an awful idea...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Can we all just finally admit what college sports (more accurately, college football and basketball) really are? They are an arm of the big business that college in general has become. They have contracted employees that perform services to make money for their bosses, and for the employee to receive OJT in the hopes of having a future professional career. If a kid fresh out of high school is physically and mentally ready for that from Day 1, why hold him back?

And how much more time does a player really have to devote to school if he's redshirting vs dressing for games? Presumably he is still participating in practices (if healthy) and still in team meetings and other mandatory activities, and still on the sideline during home games. About the only time saved would be that they don't travel to away games. Is that really so significant?

• mweb08 likes this

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

Can we all just finally admit what college sports (more accurately, college football and basketball) really are? They are an arm of the big business that college in general has become. 

Of course that's the way it is.  So is the rule that permits freshman to play.  So what?  The entire point of the idea is to change the way it is.  

Not saying that it will happen, or that doing it is enough... just saying that "the way it is" is no kind of argument about what could/should be done.  If you go by "the way it is", then nothing can get better, ever...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Of course that's the way it is.  So is the rule that permits freshman to play.  So what?  The entire point of the idea is to change the way it is.  

Not saying that it will happen, or that doing it is enough... just saying that "the way it is" is no kind of argument about what could/should be done.  If you go by "the way it is", then nothing can get better, ever...

My point is that I don't mind that college sports is a business now. I'd just like the schools to stop trying to put up a façade that it's all about the best interests of these kids and their educations.....when in reality all it is is a front for them to exert more control.

The reason that football and basketball players struggle and fail to graduate at higher rates than other sports isn't because they face rigors that freshmen playing other sports don't. It's because a significant number of football/basketball players either don't really want to attend college, they don't have the aptitude for college, or both. Just admit that....then develop some sort of program they can enroll in that will at least teach them some valuable life-skills while they play sports (and make you, the school, millions of dollars). You'd better serve the kid, and your mission as an educational institution, that way than by making him sit through a Chemistry class.

#11 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

The last few years there have been basketball players who play in Europe, Australia, or wherever for one year and then come back eligible for the NBA draft. High picks too. That would become much more common.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

This would be hilarious.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

I don't see any good reasoning for this.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

Not gonna happen. 

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

The last few years there have been basketball players who play in Europe, Australia, or wherever for one year and then come back eligible for the NBA draft. High picks too. That would become much more common.

OK.   

Is that a bad thing?

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

OK.   

Is that a bad thing?

For NCAA basketball? Yeah.

• Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

OK.   

Is that a bad thing?

For the sport of college basketball?  Of course it is.  It means players don't go to college, which means the sport suffers greatly and this is a sport that is teetering as it is because people are growing tired of the low scoring games and slow play.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=12375444

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors