46 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Wouldn't those numbers you are calling for be better than Schoop at a 575 OPS unless Cabrera can't play 2B at all (which again seems unlikely to me because he's a capable SS).  You could even platoon him and Flaherty and probably get even better numbers

I see no reason to stick with Schoop well into May if he's still struggling if the alternative is an obvious upgrade, which that combination likely would be, IMO.  Hopefully, and I think most likely, Schoop cements his hold on the job.  But if he doesn't, Cabrera adds another potentially acceptable option at 2B in addition to depth behind SS.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

I do think this is an overpay. Why guarantee him anything?

Have to think they aren't 100% confident in either Manny or JJ.

#23 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Wouldn't those numbers you are calling for be better than Schoop at a 575 OPS unless Cabrera can't play 2B at all (which again seems unlikely to me because he's a capable SS).  You could even platoon him and Flaherty and probably get even better numbers

It's an offensive upgrade. But I don't think it's much of an upgrade. I think that if Schoop has strong defense and Cabrera is only average that I'd call it even.

And the thing is that even if Schoop struggles through mid-May it doesn't mean he'll continue to struggle. And if you're going to platoon than you might as well make it Schoop/Cabrera and just option Flaherty. If Schoop needs to be optioned than burning service time isn't much of a concern.

#24 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,806 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'm not sure I understand the move, especially with guaranteed $2.5+ million on the table, BUT I am wondering if they expect Manny to not be ready and there's a potential JJ Hardy move or Cabera play at 3B until Manny is back and healthy.  His speed gives you more options I think over either Schoop OR Ry-Fly.  I want to think taht both Schoop and Flaherty will be better, but I am afraid Flaherty especially is who we think he is, and what we've seen is what we'll get, which is not very good sad to say.  LIkeable guy but marginal hitter with solid defense.  This move is a "Why NOT?" move IMO.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hopefully, this is about Schoop earning his job and not concern over Manny.

Schoop needs the competition. Can't have that black hole in the lineup every day again.

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

Just can't wait to hear Gary Thorne try to pronounce his first name. It'll be "Evreth", I guarantee it.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#27 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Cabrera also brings speed on the bases. That has value and should be factored into the evaluation of him as a potential starter at 2B if Schoop really struggles.

It might be an expensive insurance plan, but it's not a ridiculous amount of money and Cabrera having an option creates more roster flexibility.
@gabefergy

#28 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Kyle (NY)

Everth Cabrera to the O's: A Nelson Cruz-esque signing circa 2014 or buying a best of Nelson album circa 2015?

Klaw

(2:19 PM)

I like it. Gives them some necessary depth. If Manny needs more time off during the season they'll be glad to have Cabrera on the bench. Or perhaps he's a useful trade piece in July if Manny's healthy and Hardy/Schoop are both playing well.

http://espn.go.com/s...sider-keith-law

• JeffLong likes this

#29 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

I'm wondering if this is the coveted "lead-off hitter" that they've been looking for.

#30 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS  55m

All hurdles cleared, everth cabrera and orioles now have a deal. $2.4M plus 600K incentives.

Backed up by Roch and Encina. Cabrera is expected to report to camp tomorrow. 

Roster move incoming...bets on Paredes?

#31 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

Backed up by Roch and Encina. Cabrera is expected to report to camp tomorrow. 

Roster move incoming...bets on Paredes?

I will be shocked if it's not Paredes.   He has about a zero chance of making the team and he will be risked on waivers anyway.    Thanks for one of the most clutch hits of the year against the Yanks!

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:47 AM

So, if a team fails to offer a 2nd year arb player like Cabrera a contract and he hits UFA that means he is a UFA from that point on?? What I'm getting at is we don't have control of Cabrera past this year even though he'll only have 5 years of ML service?

#33 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

So, if a team fails to offer a 2nd year arb player like Cabrera a contract and he hits UFA that means he is a UFA from that point on??

No. Remember Jeremy Guthrie?

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

So, if a team fails to offer a 2nd year arb player like Cabrera a contract and he hits UFA that means he is a UFA from that point on?? What I'm getting at is we don't have control of Cabrera past this year even though he'll only have 5 years of ML service?

No, the service time rules still apply.  We'll have control of him in 2016 if we want to offer him arbitration.

The only exceptions are guys who negotiate into their contract that the team cannot offer them arbitration or must non-tender them.  Typically, only the FAs who come over from Asia have these clauses.  I'd be shocked if Cabrera insisted on that in his deal.

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

Ok. Wasn't sure on that. That's good if by some chance Cabrera ends up a full-time player and has a good year. I do like that DD tries to find guys with some ML success and or upside who is still under team control.

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

No. Remember Jeremy Guthrie?

Please remind me about the example of Guthrie re: this issue...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Guthrie wasnt in his arb years with the Indians. Same with Gonzo. I knew that guys who hadn't reached arb yet were still under team control. I thought maybe once they were arb eligible if the team declined, then they would not be subject to it again. 

• RShack likes this

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Guthrie wasnt in his arb years with the Indians. Same with Gonzo. I knew that guys who hadn't reached arb yet were still under team control. I thought maybe once they were arb eligible if the team declined, then they would not be subject to it again. 

Got it... thanks...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Looks better than his career UZR/150 numbers would indicate at SS.  Maybe it is an issue of consistency with him? At the minimum, looks like a useful reserve.

2 hits last night... 4 for 13 to start the year.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Well his range to his right didn't look good on that hit in the ninth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=