87 replies to this topic

#61 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Just watched the Denver-ND final minutes. Decided to look up the NCAA tournament history. Would have never guessed Maryland hasn't won a title in 40 years and only has 2 championships total. A ton of losses in the NCAA championship game.

#62 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Incredible finish to the Notre Dame-Denver game. That overtime loose ball push call though? Garbage. Refs screwed Notre Dame with that one.

#63 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

Just watched the Denver-ND final minutes. Decided to look up the NCAA tournament history. Would have never guessed Maryland hasn't won a title in 40 years and only has 2 championships total. A ton of losses in the NCAA championship game.

I attended the '73 and '74 JHU-MD  championship games... the 1st one, MD edged Hopkins in the 2nd OT... the next year, Hopkins just plain outsmarted MD, completely negated their strength... Wittelsberger was great, but Jack Thomas put on an absolute  display re: the little things that matter...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#64 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

I attended the '73 and '74 JHU-MD championship games... the 1st one, MD edged Hopkins in the 2nd OT... the next year, Hopkins just plain outsmarted MD, completely negated their strength... Wittelsberger was great, but Jack Thomas put on an absolute display re: the little things that matter...

Fun fact: Jack Thomas was a teacher and lacrosse coach at my high school.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#65 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

He and I were in the same year at Towson HS... he was the super jock but in a very quiet way... just a super nice guy...

His dad was the coach... 17 years without losing a county game....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#66 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

To the casual Lax fan, if you are ever unsure of who to root for when MD and Hopkins play.  Here's how you know to root for Maryland,   Bill Belechik is friends with Petrimela and the Hopkins team.  Speaking of which those refs were horrible and were doing everything they could to give Hopkins a chance to win.  Happy to see the Terps held on for the W

#67 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

HUGE Championship weekend for the Terps! Both the men's and the women's teams playing for the National Championship over the next 2 days.
@BSLZackKiesel

#68 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

To the casual Lax fan, if you are ever unsure of who to root for when MD and Hopkins play.  Here's how you know to root for Maryland,   Bill Belechik is friends with Petrimela and the Hopkins team. 

Belechik doesn't matter.  

Hopkins pretty much invented playing lacrosse right.  That matters.

#69 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:08 AM

He and I were in the same year at Towson HS... he was the super jock but in a very quiet way... just a super nice guy...

His dad was the coach... 17 years without losing a county game....

Lacrosse Hall of Fame:  http://www.uslacross...-inductees.aspx

1989 HOF Inductee: John Thomas, Johns Hopkins University

"Thomas was an all-star attackman at Towson (Md.) High School under coach, father and Hall of Famer Bill Thomas. He led the state of Maryland in scoring in 1969 and 1970. Thomas was also an All-Metro quarterback and The Baltimore Sun's Prep Athlete of the Year in 1970. Also in 1970, he won the C. Markland Kelly Award as the outstanding lacrosse player in the state of Maryland. At Johns Hopkins University, Thomas played three years of varsity lacrosse and football. He was a three-time first team All-American in lacrosse who led the Blue Jays to the national championship in 1974, setting the single season scoring record at that time. Thomas received the W. Kelso Morill Award as the outstanding attackman in 1972, 1973 and 1974, and the Turnball Trophy as the nation's outstanding attackman in 1973 and 1974. He represented Hopkins in the 1974 North/South Collegiate All-Star game.A co-captain of the 1974 U.S. Team which successfully defended its World Chapionship in Melbourne, Australia, Thomas was awarded the Ray Kinderman Trophy as the series ""Best and Fairest Player."""

Also, the blurb below about his HoF dad tells me I misremembered about his dad @ Towson... it wasn't 17 years in a row of no county league losses... it was "only" 14 years in a row without a league loss... the mention of 4 undefeated seasons includes Towson's out-of-conference schedule vs. the prep schools...

1987 HOF Inductee:  William F. Thomas, McDaniel College

"Thomas' impact on lacrosse began in 1933 at City College as a varsity midfielder, where he led City to the 1934 and 1935 championships. After attending Western Maryland College on a football scholarship, Thomas began his 42 years of coaching for Maryland public schools in 1939. He won county championships in three sports his first year. As head coach for championship teams in lacrosse, football and basketball at Forest Park in 1944-1945, he coached his first future All-Americans.Thomas coached 63 future All-Americans throughout his career, predominantly from his 18 years as head coach at Towson High. During his coaching dynasty from 1957-1975, Thomas won 14 Baltimore County Championships, 13 in a row from 1962-1974, with four undefeated seasons and no league losses from 1961-1974. Thomas coached 23 players who would later become lacrosse coaches. As head coach at Western Maryland College from 1975-1979, his teams won conference championships in 1978 and 1979.Thomas received Coach of the Year honors in 1970 and 1974, the Whittelsburger Award in 1976, the Maryland Sports Boosters Award for ""Coach of the Decade"" in 1975 and the Lacrosse Hall of Fame Leadership Award in 1979.Bill Thomas passed away on August 13, 1997."

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Baltimore Sun: Matt Rambo, late save get Maryland past Johns Hopkins, 12-11, in NCAA men's lacrosse semifinal

USA Today: Denver fends off Notre Dame in OT, reaches first NCAA men's lacrosse title game

Inside Lax: Sector SPDRs May Madness: Swezey — Goalie Play Leads to Title Game

http://www.insidelac...itle-game/32239

Inside Lax: Sector SPDRs May Madness: Tactical Breakdown — How Denver Beat Notre Dame

http://www.insidelac...otre-dame/32232

Denver Post: Denver Pioneers on doorstep of national lacrosse title

Syracuse.com: 2015 NCAA lacrosse tournament final: Breaking down Denver vs. Maryland

http://www.syracuse....r_maryland.html

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

Denver's roster:
http://www.denverpio...lacros-mtt.html

Only 2 guys from MD....

Maryland's roster:
http://www.umterps.c...11&SPSID=716314

#72 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

I really thought that Hopkins-Maryland game was going to overtime too, but that was just an incredible save in goal by Maryland.

Really great semifinal round.

Now we've got a championship featuring a very high-powered, efficient offense against arguably the best defense in the country. And I think both of these teams are content to slow the pace and take their time. The matchup at the faceoff circle is gonna be huge.

#73 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

And the Terps women are back-to-back title champs! Awesome comeback win for Cathy Reese and her squad. Insane amount of talent on this team, especially with Cummings coming back for her senior year, quite possibly a chance at 3 straight Tewaaraton awards.

Let's hope the men can sweep the title in Terpadelphia tomorrow afternoon!

@BSLZackKiesel

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

PressBox: Terps Will Have To Pass Bill Tierney To Win NCAA Lacrosse Championship

http://www.pressboxo...se-championship

#75 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

Tierney is such a whiner, really hoping the Terps pull this one out.

#76 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

I guess im watching lacrosse today. What makes this sport watchable? What do I need to know?
@BSLMikeRandall

#77 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

I guess im watching lacrosse today. What makes this sport watchable? What do I need to know?

Well, this particular matchup is a good example of why there needs to be a true shot clock in the game. Both of these teams, particularly Denver, will really slow things down and take long drawn-out possessions as opposed to attacking the goal.

As far as what to watch for: really great ball movement and precise passing by Denver to set up goals. They love setting up good scoring opportunities by cutting through picks off-ball to come open. Already have scored a few off of it. Wesley Berg will snipe some goals from the low wing too.

Maryland is known for great defense and goaltending, and they've got a few good goal scorers who will hopefully win some one on one matchups, though they've been taking poor shots so far.

Maryland needs to win some faceoffs, or Denver will wear down their defense.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Denver up 5-3 at the half...

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

Only 8 shots for MD in the 1st half.

#80 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hopefully the refs continue to call timer on in this second half. Should open up the game a lot more, as evidenced by the goal that was just scored by Denver after the stall warning was given.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=