Camden Depot: How to fix the MLB Draft

http://camdendepot.b...-mlb-draft.html

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

FanGraphs: 2015 MLB Draft Rankings (April)

http://www.fangraphs...-april-edition/

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

FanGraphs: (Maybe) Predictive Stats for Three More College Conferences

The entire series:
http://www.fangraphs...ollege-players/

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

FanGraphs: A Far-Too-Early 2015 MLB Mock Draft

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Camden Chat: Cody Ponce, the O's pick in Law's mock

http://www.camdencha...aw-mock-orioles

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

http://www.fangraphs...or-first-round/

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

MASN: Previewing the First-Year Player Draft with O's Scouting Director Gary Rajsich

http://www.masnsport...ry-rajsich.html

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

Grantland: Two Recent MLB Draft Trends

http://grantland.com...hool-prospects/

#10 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

WBAL: Orioles Scouting Director Gary Rajsich on the Upcoming Draft
http://www.wbal.com/...-upcoming-draft

Radio interview with Rajsich. Doesn't add much more than we already know, but it's always good to listen to. Relays that it's not a huge group of talent at the top of the draft, but it's a solid draft depth wise. He's happy to have picks #25 and 36. Wishes he had more in that range. He's excited about prospects they're looking at his year. Doesn't think they're going to gear towards this draft any different than they have before - BPA, whether it's a pitcher or hitter.

Takes a shot at colleges - he thinks it's better to mold players before they learn bad habits at certain colleges. He thinks that colleges should be more geared toward individual players and their development. 

• BSLChrisStoner and RShack like this

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

Takes a shot at colleges - he thinks it's better to mold players before they learn bad habits at certain colleges. He thinks that colleges should be more geared toward individual players and their development. 

I wonder if today's Branch Rickey is building development-bridges to a set of colleges, to help them do better... thus becoming good pals with the college coach... who will then advise his players that Branch Rickey's org really cares about helping young guys learn how to succeed and has already helped those very players get better... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:21 AM

Camden Depot: Draft Preview (Podcast)

http://camdendepot.b...episode-12.html

Includes a Q&A with Nick Faleris (Baseball Prospectus)

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:32 AM

BSR: Orioles 2015 First-Year Player Draft Preview

http://baltimorespor...view-58740.html

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Relays that it's not a huge group of talent at the top of the draft, but it's a solid draft depth wise. He's happy to have picks #25 and 36. Wishes he had more in that range. He's excited about prospects they're looking at his year. Doesn't think they're going to gear towards this draft any different than they have before - BPA, whether it's a pitcher or hitter.

Doesn't seem like anyone here cares who we pick.....but I'd like to see the Orioles take a different approach early in the draft.

I usually don't have issues with the Orioles 1st rounders recently.....Gausman was easy.....Harvey has been better than advertised....and we didn't pick until #90 last year.

Most mocks agree that players like Florida State OFer DJ Stewart and Virginia LHP Nathan Kirby are on the board here.  In BA Mock 1.0 and 4.0, the Orioles got Stewart and #25 and Kirby (who hasn't pitched due to a non-arm injury) available for the Orioles at #36.  In Friday's Mock 5.0, Manuel had Stewart at #25 but Kirby didn't make it to #36 (TOR at #29).

For whatever reasons, the Orioles don't pursue projectable power or OBP (performance) in the draft.  Stewart falls is a good athlete (which seems to be something they like) but he was also leading the nation in walks and has some and could have more power.

Since DD may be drafting for both the Orioles and BlueJays, hopefully he lets the Virginia product slide to himself at #36. :)

The Orioles could have a shot at some of the top power bats in the draft at #68 In Canadian Josh Naylor (BA #61) and highschooler Kolton Kendrick (BA #62).  Naylor seems unlikely to fall to #68, but 1B prospects frequently get overlooked and it would be good to see the Orioles lock in some top of the draft power for once.

Certainly disappointing the Orioles don't draft at #74....one guy I wanted the Orioles to draft late last year was Mac Marshall....tough sign....drafted in rd 21 by Houston but wound up transferring to a JC to get back into this years draft.  BA has him at #86....so getting another projectable LHP would have been good (you know, instead of throwing the opportunity away like they did).

Admittedly I only know what I read, so I just went to the #102 guy on BA's list to see what he looked like....

Thompson attended Westminster Christian in Miami, where he broke the state's single-season (19) and career (55) home runs records, eclipsing the totals of Westminster alumnus Alex Rodriguez along the way. Thompson was drafted by the Yankees in the 38th round in 2012, but went to Miami to play both football and baseball. His career as the Hurricanes quarterback never got off the ground, however, due to two surgeries to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He then missed much of his sophomore baseball season due to thoracic outlet syndrome, which required surgery to remove a rib. Finally fully healthy this spring, Thompson has excelled at the plate and is again producing the kinds of prodigious power numbers he did in high school. He led the country with 19 home runs in the regular season and slugged .683. He's a disciplined hitter and has walked more than he’s struck out during his Miami career. Thompson's shoulder surgeries have left him with below-average arm strength and he will likely be limited to first base as a professional, with an outside chance to play left field. Right-right first basemen face a tough profile, but his track record for hitting for power will likely push him into the top five rounds.

....like Stewart...another guy that rejected the Yankees, has some football athleticism, shows power potential and takes a walk.

Getting (guys like) Stewart, Kirby, Kendrick and Thompson in the early rounds would feel (based on profiles) more projectable to me than past drafts.

Generally, I really like the work the Orioles do after the 5th round.  They've had recent success ferreting out decent players so don't change that.  The only thing I'd like to see them do is take a shot on 2 falling prospects before the 20th round.  Who cares if it's just defense, but you really want an organization that can max the budget and get one of these type guys signed every third year.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

Nick is always a good interview.  Like his approach to the draft and agree with his perspective on the Orioles.

If you don't like baseball, at least listen for the intro music.  Well done.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Just listened to Nick Faleris' podcast on Camden Depot.  I like his picks too and it falls in the same framework as what I suggested above.

Take a guy like Kirby at #25 and pick up power projection like Boston College 1B Chris Shaw at #36 and HS OFer Kep Brown at #68.

Bottom line....if you want power and on-base in your system, start drafting it.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#17 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

Just listened to Nick Faleris' podcast on Camden Depot.  I like his picks too and it falls in the same framework as what I suggested above.

Take a guy like Kirby at #25 and pick up power projection like Boston College 1B Chris Shaw at #36 and HS OFer Kep Brown at #68.

Bottom line....if you want power and on-base in your system, start drafting it.

Admittedly, I don't know near enough about the draft that I want to (prospects wise). I'd like to see the O's focus on these things, as well. I think we've had 3 solid drafts under the Duquette regime and I'm looking forward to this one too. 

#18 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:25 PM

Position players.

Seems we have a decent amount of pitching prospects. Get position prospects.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

Position players.

Seems we have a decent amount of pitching prospects. Get position prospects.

You favor targeting what the system is short of... to me, what makes sense is to get the best players available and sort 'em out later...

If there's any basis for saying which approach is best, I don't know what it is...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#20 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

Predicting Gary Rasjich's 2015 draft as he goes back to what worked in the 2013 draft where he went HS heavy (1. Harvey 1A. Hart 2. Sisco 4. Heim 5. Seabrooke 6. Murphy

1. (25) Dakota Chalmers (Hunter Harveyesque build and repertoire) George HS RHP - (BA snippet - Chalmers has a powerful right arm and can run his fastball up into the upper 90s. He more typically throws in the low to mid 90s now, but there's a lot of room for more strength gains in his 6-foot-3, 175-pound frame.) 

1A. (36) Demi Orimoloye (Josh Hart is not a 5 tool player but this guy might be) Big outfielder from Canada (BA snippet - He's a plus runner with a plus arm and plus raw power, with some questions about how much he will hit.) 

2. (68) Travis Blankenhorn (HS SS who projects for 3B (Sounds a lot like Chance Sisco as a hitter) (BA snippet - At the plate, Blankenhorn has a pretty lefthanded swing with minimal load and a short, downhill bat path. He has above-average bat speed and good feel for hitting. )

3. (102) Desmond Lindsay (This is exactly the spot BA has him ranked. ( BS -snippet - offers an enticing combination of power, speed and athleticism) Possible CF. Only average arm strength.

Baseball America has each of these players ranked at or slightly below where I have the O's taking them. That doesn't mean they will be there when they select. Doesn't mean some of our draft experts might not have them ranked much lower. Just showing having some fun.

For what it's worth, I like Naylor in there with the supplmental pick also.   As for college players, I like what I see of Richie Martin, the SS from Florida over some of the other ones (Newman/Kingery) mentioned.   He should be available at 25 and maybe even at 36.    Sounds like Rajsich is leaning towards HS again but I suspect one of the top 4 picks will be a college player and at least one of the top 4 picks will be a pitcher.    

Don't like Stewart's crouch and swing but I've only seen very limited video.   Drawing walks is great if you can hit too.   Not sold on his bat.   I saw a a writeup that thinks he has to change his stance to get to his power.   That's a red flag for me.  He draws walks, at least partly, because of his crouch.   Almost every writeup doesn't think the crouch works in pro ball.

Don't know anything about Chris Shaw so I have some work to do there.  (Sounds like a one tool player but that tool is enticing.

• Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=