• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

You know what's weird....having your 1st round draft pick somewhere between 21 and 30.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Through The Fence Baseball: Mock Draft 3.0 Oct 5th
http://throughthefen...rder-set/25833/

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Maybe the best news is we are picking 24th.
@mikeghg

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Through the Fence Baseball: Mock Draft 4.0
http://throughthefen...g-effect/27036/

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Diamond Prospects: 11/29 Mock
http://diamondprospe...k-draft-10.html

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Minor League Rundown: 11/23 Mock
http://www.minorleag...raft-version-1/

#27 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Minor League Rundown: 11/23 Mock
http://www.minorleag...raft-version-1/

Wow, did he just refer to Frazier as a "Ginger Mike Trout??"

I don't even know what to say about that.
@JeremyMStrain

#28 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I really like Kris Bryant and Colin Moran as potential 3B targets.

Obviously a lot of time for things to change, but like what I see with both of these guys.
@JeffLongBP

#29 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Wow, did he just refer to Frazier as a "Ginger Mike Trout??"

I don't even know what to say about that.

I like Meadows' tools more than Frazier's. I've read that Meadows is a lot more likely to stay in CF long-term.
@JeffLongBP

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I like Meadows' tools more than Frazier's. I've read that Meadows is a lot more likely to stay in CF long-term.

He is. I try not to comment much though cause im related so I get worried about bias.
@JeremyMStrain

#31 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

He is. I try not to comment much though cause im related so I get worried about bias.

No kidding!?!

I'm a big fan of Meadows. I've heard that he's a top 5 pick type guy because it's a down year, but he has a combination of skills that's really tantalizing.

He'd be my pick at #3 if I were the GM of whoever has that pick (behind Appel & Stanek).
@JeffLongBP

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

No kidding!?!

I'm a big fan of Meadows. I've heard that he's a top 5 pick type guy because it's a down year, but he has a combination of skills that's really tantalizing.

He'd be my pick at #3 if I were the GM of whoever has that pick (behind Appel & Stanek).

Yeah hes that 5 tool HS kid that always gets debated top 5. I like his game a lot though.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Might have been early thoughts, but I think many evaluators have come around to Frazier as sticking in center. As for Meadows, at some point the tools have to manifest on the field (especially for someone who is a full time baseball guy). He has lost a lot of support over the last four months due to poor showings. Tools are still there and a good spring will make folks forget a lot of concerns, but I have spoken to more than a few folks who wouldn't touch Meadows in the top half of the first round.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@NickJFaleris

#34 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I really like Kris Bryant and Colin Moran as potential 3B targets.

Obviously a lot of time for things to change, but like what I see with both of these guys.

Would be a big surprise for me if Bryant is a MLB third baseman. Not sure where the power comes from Moran -- maybe a position switch to 2b if you think he can handle it, but not an elite guy for me with current profile.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@NickJFaleris

#35 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Would be a big surprise for me if Bryant is a MLB third baseman. Not sure where the power comes from Moran -- maybe a position switch to 2b if you think he can handle it, but not an elite guy for me with current profile.

Curious why you're so down on Moran.

All the kid does is hit, and he plays passable defense at either corner. He's still learning 3B I think and will continue to improve there with more experience.

Seriously though, all the kid does is hit.
@JeffLongBP

#36 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Curious why you're so down on Moran.

All the kid does is hit, and he plays passable defense at either corner. He's still learning 3B I think and will continue to improve there with more experience.

Seriously though, all the kid does is hit.

College numbers are at least in part inflated due to home park; doesn't really have a power profile -- you need to project it coming from somewhere; same approach at the plate as Ackley when at UNC, but he isn't as pure a hitter as Ackley and as Dustin has discovered you are going to get hammered and challenged if you aren't driving the ball; okay defender at the corner, but lower half isn't great.

Take his profile and drop it on a second baseman and it looks pretty darn good. At third base, it just doesn't play as an elite talent without either more power or some big jump in defense. If you think the power is in there, and you are right, you have a solid chance at a regular. But as a top 10 overall pick? Not the profile I'd be targeting.
@NickJFaleris

#37 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

College numbers are at least in part inflated due to home park; doesn't really have a power profile -- you need to project it coming from somewhere; same approach at the plate as Ackley when at UNC, but he isn't as pure a hitter as Ackley and as Dustin has discovered you are going to get hammered and challenged if you aren't driving the ball; okay defender at the corner, but lower half isn't great.

Take his profile and drop it on a second baseman and it looks pretty darn good. At third base, it just doesn't play as an elite talent without either more power or some big jump in defense. If you think the power is in there, and you are right, you have a solid chance at a regular. But as a top 10 overall pick? Not the profile I'd be targeting.

Sorry I haven't responded. Had a meeting at work that lasted from 4 to 7:45 tonight. I had the page open hoping to be able to respond but didn't get a chance.

Interesting thoughts. I've always heard (and from what little I've seen) that he'd hit enough for the lack of power to not matter as much. Seems like a Jedd Gyorko type based on your comments in the BP chat this afternoon (nice job on that by the way). Is that a semi-decent comp? Keep in mind that I've never seen Gyorko play so don't be too critical haha
@JeffLongBP

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sorry I haven't responded. Had a meeting at work that lasted from 4 to 7:45 tonight. I had the page open hoping to be able to respond but didn't get a chance.

Interesting thoughts. I've always heard (and from what little I've seen) that he'd hit enough for the lack of power to not matter as much. Seems like a Jedd Gyorko type based on your comments in the BP chat this afternoon (nice job on that by the way). Is that a semi-decent comp? Keep in mind that I've never seen Gyorko play so don't be too critical haha

I saw him last season. Left me kind of...I dunno, he just didn't really stand out to me. Some guys just jump out at you as a PLAYER, and some are just kinda there. Saw him and Richie Shaffer in the same month, and it wasn't even close that Shaffer stood out more. Wasn't a bad impression, just wasn't much of one at all.
@JeremyMStrain

#39 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

I think he can be a contributor, but once we are talking about 1st Round (let alone top of the 1st Round) I prefer more certainty in profile. As to Gyorko, their quite different, physically, which leads to natural differences in their approaches and their potential outcomes. I took a quick look at leaderboards by position over the past couple of seasons. I see Moran as a 2011 Chipper Jones kind of producer. Below average defender, below average baserunner, good hit tool, fringe average pop, solid average regular. I don't generally like comping that way, but if you're looking for a snap shot of the "type" of production I currently expect for Moran if he continues to develop, that's probably around it. Maybe a little better than that, but around a 2-2.5 win kind of guy.

Thanks for checking out the chat!
@NickJFaleris

#40 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think he can be a contributor, but once we are talking about 1st Round (let alone top of the 1st Round) I prefer more certainty in profile. As to Gyorko, their quite different, physically, which leads to natural differences in their approaches and their potential outcomes. I took a quick look at leaderboards by position over the past couple of seasons. I see Moran as a 2011 Chipper Jones kind of producer. Below average defender, below average baserunner, good hit tool, fringe average pop, solid average regular. I don't generally like comping that way, but if you're looking for a snap shot of the "type" of production I currently expect for Moran if he continues to develop, that's probably around it. Maybe a little better than that, but around a 2-2.5 win kind of guy.

Thanks for checking out the chat!

I generally avoid comps but it does help when trying to get an idea of what a player looks like in terms of ability.

I was intrigued by your thoughts on Gausman by the way. No need to re-hash since you went over it 3/4 times in the chat. Prior to the draft I went back and forth on Gausman. I'm very high on him now, but wasn't so big on him towards the end of the college season.
@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=