49 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Probably won't matter seeing as how we'll be be picking last in the draft. Not to mention we're going to lose our first and second rounders by signing Hamilton and Hamels, respectively. ;)

Seriously though, it seems like there's a lot of offensive players available in next year's draft. I know I've read about a catch specifically that wouldn't be a shock to go at #1. Anyone stand out right now?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Probably won't matter seeing as how we'll be be picking last in the draft. Not to mention we're going to lose our first and second rounders by signing Hamilton and Hamels, respectively. ;)

Seriously though, it seems like there's a lot of offensive players available in next year's draft. I know I've read about a catch specifically that wouldn't be a shock to go at #1. Anyone stand out right now?

Haha, I KNEW you were going to post this today ;)

There's a few that look real good, but you know how this goes, it's pretty far out. There's a HS kid in GA who is a cousin of mine actually, Austin Meadows, that should go pretty high. 5-tool kid, I had one scout compare him to Josh Hamilton, but I shake my head at that stuff until I see them myself. Working on getting a hold of him and see what I can gleam. Stotle's boy Karsten Whitson was hurt this year, but should get up in that top 5 range, the kid I BEGGED the O's to take a couple years ago, Bobby Wahl, should get up there somewhere, local kid all met poy. Couple kids from UNC should go early, including 3B Colin Moran. Another favorite of mine Kent Emmanuel should go high from UNC too.

That's enough for now, I'd have to really dig into my notes to find more, I know there is a HS SS in Florida and a C out in CA that are supposed to be really good too.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 Vandy

Vandy
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have no idea about the high schoolers, but I do know that Vanderbilt is worried about losing John Kilichowski and Jordan Sheffield next year. Both are highly rated according to Perfect Game, so it'll be interesting to see how they progress over the next 12 months. Other Vanderbilt guys who I think are worth keeping an eye on are TJ Pecoraro RHP, Kevin Ziomek LHP, and Spencer Navin C.

I won't pretend to be a scout or expert, but I like what I've read about Kris Bryant, Austin Wilson, Karsten Whitson, Bobby Wahl, Ryan Eades, Dylan Covey, and Brian Ragira. I've gotten to watch all of these guys play over the last two years and they certainly look the part.

#4 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

It is early to really take "who is best", but worth hitting the big names. It is surprising that I have not seen the pitcher, who if a born a few days earlier, would have been in the conversation of the 1:1 pick. Ryan Stanek, Arkansas

Just to highlight the this kid from this place, who plays that position (Oscar Mercedo ss Tampa FL)
Clinton Hollon (Lexington KY) is a power arm from the HS ranks worth noting as well.

It is early, but the college arms are a bit deeper with higher ceilings at the top. You guys have hit on the heavy hitters from the college ranks.
@Olsen_Don

#5 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

http://bleacherrepor...ext-years-class

http://bleacherrepor...ire-first-round

http://bleacherrepor...rs-top-10-picks
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#6 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Some good names mentioned above. As the media outlets start digging into the scouts a little more, you'll see more names mentioned. A bunch of my favorite guys, and I'd say industry favorites, are nowhere to be seen in this thread!!! Come oh people, dig a little!!

I'd say Stanek is overrated by media outlets compared to how most industry folks see him; Try Ball is underrated. Ty Ross and JaCoby Jones are underrated; Covey way overrated. Jon Crawford way underrated; Plutko slightly underrated; Austin Wilson way underrated and way overrated, depending on your evaluative philosophies.

Lorenzen underrated.
@NickJFaleris

#7 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

I agree with you Nick, if it depends how you view him. There are a few reddish flags to consider with an arm like Ryan.

He is a good live arm, but there are more than a handful of things I would like to see improved to push him ahead of the Friday starters, a few within his own conference alone. The slot and stress actions may have teams move him into another role down the road, thus touching down his stock.

Worth the follow, but could end up lower when all said and done.
@Olsen_Don

#8 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree with you Nick, if it depends how you view him. There are a few reddish flags to consider with an arm like Ryan.

He is a good live arm, but there are more than a handful of things I would like to see improved to push him ahead of the Friday starters, a few within his own conference alone. The slot and stress actions may have teams move him into another role down the road, thus touching down his stock.

Worth the follow, but could end up lower when all said and done.

Yeah, definitely a guy -- but work to be done.
@NickJFaleris

#9 Vandy

Vandy
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

What's the word on Covey? I saw him in early March, but his velocity didn't seem to match the reports from his high school days (he sat 88-90 mph). Perhaps his stuff improved as the year went on, but he struggled to put away hitters on a Vanderbilt team who was really scuffling offensively at the time.

#10 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

What's the word on Covey? I saw him in early March, but his velocity didn't seem to match the reports from his high school days (he sat 88-90 mph). Perhaps his stuff improved as the year went on, but he struggled to put away hitters on a Vanderbilt team who was really scuffling offensively at the time.

In honesty, he was a little over-hyped in the media his high school draft year and has not really shown elite stuff at USD. I don't know if there have been issues relating to his diabetes, but it surprises me some that people are still talking about him as if he's a favorite to go in the first round. He isn't missing bats, his curve is soft and his velo is below-average. And his body is still on the soft side.
@NickJFaleris

#11 Vandy

Vandy
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

What do you (and Don) think about Pecoraro, Ziomek, and Navin from Vanderbilt?

#12 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

What do you (and Don) think about Pecoraro, Ziomek, and Navin from Vanderbilt?

Will see more of them next year. Pecoraro still undersized for my taste and don't love the slot/action for a starter. Ziomek is a personal favorite -- looking to see what he does next year (could be top 50 guy if things click). Navin and Gregor both solid follows.
@NickJFaleris

#13 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

If Colin Moran isn't a top 5 pick, I will print this page and eat it, thereby literally eating my words.

As for Emmanuel, I think he's more of a sandwich pick/second rounder type. He's good, but not in the same class as UNC's recent top starters (Miller, Bard, White).

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

MLB.com: Jonathan Mayo previews 2013 (video)
http://mlb.mlb.com/v...pic_id=29113154

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Obviously Mocks in September are a bit crazy, but these mocks do provide some names to research further:

MLB Draft.com: http://www.mymlbdraf...MLB-Mock-Draft/

Draftsite.com: http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2013/

#16 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Kind of off the path which the conversation is going, but it seems crazy to me that I'm already seeing things from well-reputable people like "2013 draft isn't a good one" or "2013 definitely worse than 2012." I'm a bit ignorant on this subject, but isn't it a bit...early to be making those kinds of statements?
@BSLLukeJackson

#17 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

He's not draft-eligible until 2014, but I'm looking forward to seeing Carlos Rondon of NC State this spring. Who are the big 2013 ACC names?
@BSLLukeJackson

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Kind of off the path which the conversation is going, but it seems crazy to me that I'm already seeing things from well-reputable people like "2013 draft isn't a good one" or "2013 definitely worse than 2012." I'm a bit ignorant on this subject, but isn't it a bit...early to be making those kinds of statements?

If you're speaking VERY generally sometimes you can, but only in a REALLY weak or REALLY strong year. A lot of guys will develop for the better or worse between now and June, but as far as early projections go, it's not the best year. Full disclosure, I'll be the first person to tell you that seniors in HS can make HUGE jumps from Jr to Sr year so some guys that might not really be on the radar could come out of the woodwork still.

The ACC has some decent prospects for this year, Moran at UNC, I like Emmanuel more than most, I'm really interested to see if he jumps from that late first to top of the round this season. One of the top HS kids is a relative, so to stay objective I'll try not to talk about him much. ;)

I saw Rodon this season, he's got some good building blocks, as he gets more experience he'll be nasty. Just a couple little things to work out.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Picking so late in the 1st round will be very... strange. And... Awesome!

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Picking so late in the 1st round will be very... strange. And... Awesome!

Great Point. It is about time though. Hell I am okay with picking 30th!! :)
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=