SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Various thoughts...

Johnson announcing that would get a yawn' reaction out of me. Telling me your going to wrestle in six months is supposed to excite me? LOL. I wish the WWE spent as much time trying to get over the young guys as they do with aging/aged vets.

I understand it's all about the money... so the WWE will ride that horse (Rock) until it can't go anymore. Dwayne may only have another couple of years in him to perform at the level typically necessary for a quality match, so --again-- we'll see him wrestle a few more times over the next couple of years.

Cena is/has been boring, though he's supposed to be a damn good guy and hard worker. I just hate seeing the same guys over and over and over and over again.

Punk has disappointed me as well, as he's obviously fawning for fan support in whatever he says... he's become very "corporate" in that regard. He's still my favorite wrestler though, and Bryan is also good. Wade Barrett had/has potential, and Ziggler, despite the name, shows serious promise. He's passed Cody Rhodes in my view of the WWE hierarchy.

The WWE could use a monstrous, unstoppable figure... and while Ryback is interesting, I'm not yet sold that he can be that guy.

Well I think the idea is that The Rock will win the rumble and wrestle for the title...but against who? A Cena rematch?

What do they like about Ryback that Mason Ryan doesn't have? I also prefer the big monster type guys.

Cena may be boring but the problem is, they don't have anyone else and Cena sells for them. Who should they be pushing instead?

They have been pushing Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Shaemus and others. Who out there hasn't been pushed that should? Who is Cena stopping from getting the title?

Barrett was going to get a big push before he got hurt.

#122 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well I think the idea is that The Rock will win the rumble and wrestle for the title...but against who? A Cena rematch?

Possibly Cena, but there are other possibilities as well... Punk vs Rock could be great, especially Rock losing to Punk, helping to secure Punk's legacy.

What do they like about Ryback that Mason Ryan doesn't have? I also prefer the big monster type guys.

Ryback is a much more mobile and believably vicious guy than Ryan. Ryan needs a change, and wearing a mask may do wonders for him.

Cena may be boring but the problem is, they don't have anyone else and Cena sells for them. Who should they be pushing instead?

They have been pushing Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Shaemus and others. Who out there hasn't been pushed that should? Who is Cena stopping from getting the title?

True, pushing Punk and Bryan has been out of the norm for sure... and I'm happy as hell about that. I guess I'm just looking for some new blood.

Barrett was going to get a big push before he got hurt.

Yeah... the guy just seems like an old-fashioned style quality wrestler.

Answers in bold.

#123 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Bottom line, what makes wrestling good is unpredictability and making the fans feel like what their watching could be real. You have to blur lines and just become less predictable overall. Thats why their was such a buzz over the CM Punk thing last year. Punk was angle shooting, there really was a sense of not knowing what he was going to do or say next. That's why IMO, there needs to be more worked shoots instead of this contrived, clearly fictional stuff. When there is real drama behind the scenes air it in public, people eat that stuff up. It's why the Cena- Rock stuff was really good for the most part. Obviously, you still are "working" but it makes things seem real.

Bottom line is you are going to have to bring that "reality show" aspect to pro wrestling. People are always going to ultimately understand it is "fake" and they can suspend reality to a point. With MMA being the real deal now there is no doubt it hurts pro wrestling. Why suspend reality, let alone buy into completely fake and predictable BS like "SuperCena" or "Hulkamania" when you can watch the real deal.

Quality post.

#124 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I just read that Cena vs Punk for the title is a rumored SS match.

If that is the case, then Cena will win on Monday and Punk will use his rematch clause for SS...at least that would be my assumption.

#125 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

I just read that Cena vs Punk for the title is a rumored SS match.

If that is the case, then Cena will win on Monday and Punk will use his rematch clause for SS...at least that would be my assumption.

That would make sense. I don't think a Cena/Punk feud is a bad thing. Actually, it's kind of interesting to me. They've built Punk up as a hell of a champion. He's an incredibly legitimate title holder right now and is the second face of the company after Cena. If anyone defeats SuperCena, it's Punk.

@AdamWolff

#126 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

A couple things I've wanted to know about:
- How much longer until the WWE lets Ryback face legit opponents instead of facing 2 no name guys?
- I've noticed that during WWE PPVs, they will have 1 championship match in the beginning of the PPV and then the other one at the end or near the end. How come they don't put the divas match near the beginning and build up to the main event matches?

By the way, bringing back stables or managers would be awesome. I like AW as a manager, but he could probably use a different tag-team. I thought the Usos would've become tag-team champions if they were used more.
@mrbeanage

#127 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

A couple things I've wanted to know about:
- How much longer until the WWE lets Ryback face legit opponents instead of facing 2 no name guys?
- I've noticed that during WWE PPVs, they will have 1 championship match in the beginning of the PPV and then the other one at the end or near the end. How come they don't put the divas match near the beginning and build up to the main event matches?

By the way, bringing back stables or managers would be awesome. I like AW as a manager, but he could probably use a different tag-team. I thought the Usos would've become tag-team champions if they were used more.

It seems to me like they're building up to giving something more meaningful to Ryback very shortly. He faced Swagger on Monday night, so that's a legit guy. I'm looking forward to his first feud.

In terms of PPV match order, it's my understanding that you don't want to have your biggest matches back to back. Diva's matches and other small matches act almost like an intermission of sorts for the big time matches.

@AdamWolff

#128 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

It seems to me like they're building up to giving something more meaningful to Ryback very shortly. He faced Swagger on Monday night, so that's a legit guy. I'm looking forward to his first feud.

In terms of PPV match order, it's my understanding that you don't want to have your biggest matches back to back. Diva's matches and other small matches act almost like an intermission of sorts for the big time matches.

I guess fighting Swagger is a step in the right direction. It'll be nice to see where this takes him.

Good point about the divas match. It is sort of like intermission. Good time to go to the bathroom or do something else before the main event comes on.
@mrbeanage

#129 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

One interesting thing that TheMaskedMan pointed out in his grantland article on Raw1000 that WWE hasn't promoted a "match" between Punk and Cena but that Cena would be "cashing in" the briefcase which leads me to believe something will happen right after he cashes it in so there's not a "true match"
@brobey1

#130 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

One interesting thing that TheMaskedMan pointed out in his grantland article on Raw1000 that WWE hasn't promoted a "match" between Punk and Cena but that Cena would be "cashing in" the briefcase which leads me to believe something will happen right after he cashes it in so there's not a "true match"

That's a good point.

He could decide to cash in at SS because the match never happens.

Maybe it doesn't happen because someone(big show) beAts up everyone?

#131 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

That's a good point.

He could decide to cash in at SS because the match never happens.

Maybe it doesn't happen because someone(big show) beAts up everyone?

Yeah, maybe he cashes it in and before the bell rings, Big Show's music hits and comes out and destroys both Punk and Cena.
@brobey1

#132 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

The Rock announces he will fight for the title at the Royal Rumble.

#133 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

The Rock announces he will fight for the title at the Royal Rumble.

Should make that event very good. Would have to imagine he faces Punk or Cena, either will be a good match, and of course the rumble is always awesome.

@AdamWolff

#134 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Shocked that Austin hasn't come out yet.

Does he cause Punk the title to set up WM match?

#135 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well, there is your new angle.

I read that this episode of Raw would bring on a new angle from this Raw.

That angle is Punk turning heel.

#136 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Really surprised there was no SCSA tonight....

I like the Punk heel turn... Should make the buildup to SS (Cena rematch) and RR really solid.
@brobey1

#137 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Cena will NEVER turn... to the darkside... unfortunately. Love the ending, although -again- a Cena turn would've been epic.

#138 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Really surprised there was no SCSA tonight....

I like the Punk heel turn... Should make the buildup to SS (Cena rematch) and RR really solid.

Yea but damn, Punk will have had the title forever come RR.

Can't believe Austin didn't come out. I read where he was in St Louis too.

#139 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Who else will get the title? Cena? Rather see Punk with the belt for the next 10 years than give it back to Cena... Belt does nothing for Cena as he's already the "top face" no matter what and his merchandise brings in so much money they would never turn him heel.

Figured raw 1000 would be a great time to start the SCSA-Punk fued for WM next year.
@brobey1

#140 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

And then, does Punk beat The Rock?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users