#5841 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

That was pretty much exactly what the problem was for him at AEW, knowing that he was one of, if not the loudest of all the executives, painted him as being someone you wanted to rail against. Then his wife was involved in a ton of stuff too, so just doubles the chances of getting sick of him. Doesn't take much of a storyline, put him up against one of the really OVER stars and people would turn on him and NEVER come back.

To a degree it's what HHH had to deal with forever, which makes his run through things more entertaining in hindsight and probably why he's KILLING it now.

Like the WWE, I think there is a lot of silly drama back stage at AEW too.  It was probably time for Cody to return to WWE and they are certainly pushing him.

@mikeghg

#5842 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 01:09 PM

The end of Smack Down last Friday was excellent.  The Bloodline story angle seems to be ending, but the exchange between RR and Sami was great and was followed up by Solo and Jimmy Uso attacking Zayn.  It has set Zayn up as top Baby face and the heat the Roman/Sami they will get at the next PPV should be huge.  I suspect the Uso's cost Zayn causing KO to intervene.   

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#5843 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 02:27 PM

The end of Smack Down last Friday was excellent.  The Bloodline story angle seems to be ending, but the exchange between RR and Sami was great and was followed up by Solo and Jimmy Uso attacking Zayn.  It has set Zayn up as top Baby face and the heat the Roman/Sami they will get at the next PPV should be huge.  I suspect the Uso's cost Zayn causing KO to intervene.   

100%

@BSLMikeRandall

#5844 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2023 - 08:44 AM

Anyone that wants to see a promo that was done perfectly, check out Paul Heyman and Cody Rhodes from last nights Raw.  An incredible promo by 2 guys who are great on the Mic.  There felt like there was a lot of truth in it, until the end when they set up the work.

• BSLJamieSieck likes this
@mikeghg

#5845 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:45 PM

Anyone that wants to see a promo that was done perfectly, check out Paul Heyman and Cody Rhodes from last nights Raw.  An incredible promo by 2 guys who are great on the Mic.  There felt like there was a lot of truth in it, until the end when they set up the work.

If WWE could move away from the gaggle of writers and get back to letting guys do their promos, I think the product would improve dramatically. Although, guys don't get to work on hone their mic skills like they did a generation ago.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5846 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:19 PM

If WWE could move away from the gaggle of writers and get back to letting guys do their promos, I think the product would improve dramatically. Although, guys don't get to work on hone their mic skills like they did a generation ago.

I think they are doing exactly that on the main roster shows.  Check out some of the Promo’s.

Zayn-Reigns

Heyman- Rhodes

KO-Zayn

Rhodes- Zayn

Reigns-KO

There is a lot of Truth and free style in their spots and ttomorrowhere have been some excellent exchanges.

@mikeghg

#5847 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:30 PM

100%

Yeah, this is the widely speculated plan. But it's SO much speculated I could see Trips swerving from it, and giving Sami the Kofi treatment. I think that's what the Rhodes promo was all about, to make it believable that Sami could swipe the titles and then face Rhodes.

I still think they are stupid by keeping the belts unified, but that's just me. It makes them feel each show with an extra storyline full of filler, and that stuff is getting old.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5848 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, this is the widely speculated plan. But it's SO much speculated I could see Trips swerving from it, and giving Sami the Kofi treatment. I think that's what the Rhodes promo was all about, to make it believable that Sami could swipe the titles and then face Rhodes.

I still think they are stupid by keeping the belts unified, but that's just me. It makes them feel each show with an extra storyline full of filler, and that stuff is getting old.

This might be me being old but I'm glad the belts are unified and wish they would just go back to one belt. The idea of a World Championship is that it's supposed to be important and to have 2 World Championships flies in the face of logic.

If you want to keep some angles moving along, keep putting importance back on the IC Title and the US Title. Having Gunther with the IC belt right now and what he's done since he's been on the main roster has brought some prestige back to that belt. 

With regards to the US title, I'm a big fan of Austin Theory and he has all the makings of top guy.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5849 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:51 PM

I think they are doing exactly that on the main roster shows.  Check out some of the Promo’s.

Zayn-Reigns

Heyman- Rhodes

KO-Zayn

Rhodes- Zayn

Reigns-KO

There is a lot of Truth and free style in their spots and ttomorrowhere have been some excellent exchanges.

Reigns getting paired with Heyman was the best to happen to his career. His promos have gotten miles better. We already know Paul E. is legendary on the mic. Owens and Zayn are veterans that can work and talk, ditto for Cody. And then Cody just has star power. 

I really wish they would go back to 2 hours for Raw. Three hours is way too long, still too much bad dialogue and everyone milks the crap out of their entrances.

• Mike B likes this

@primetime667083

#5850 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:02 PM

This might be me being old but I'm glad the belts are unified and wish they would just go back to one belt. The idea of a World Championship is that it's supposed to be important and to have 2 World Championships flies in the face of logic.

If you want to keep some angles moving along, keep putting importance back on the IC Title and the US Title. Having Gunther with the IC belt right now and what he's done since he's been on the main roster has brought some prestige back to that belt. 

With regards to the US title, I'm a big fan of Austin Theory and he has all the makings of top guy.

I mean don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from and you don't want to water things down with too many belts, but that was back when there was a MUCH smaller roster and show because WCW was a thing. Now that they've got double the roster and two shows a week, there's too much dead air, cause some of the feuds are stupid and have no motivation.

Like Street Profits being used as backup for every Face conflict instead of fighting over some belts. Or what is going on with the Banger Bros., Imperium, Viking Raiders etc. They are all just out there in limbo since both Tag titles are held up in this Bloodline story line. There's just got to be SOME reason for the middle of the card to be hanging around, and right now it's basically to be plus 1s or for backstage shots.

• BSLJamieSieck likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5851 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:23 PM

I mean don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from and you don't want to water things down with too many belts, but that was back when there was a MUCH smaller roster and show because WCW was a thing. Now that they've got double the roster and two shows a week, there's too much dead air, cause some of the feuds are stupid and have no motivation.

Like Street Profits being used as backup for every Face conflict instead of fighting over some belts. Or what is going on with the Banger Bros., Imperium, Viking Raiders etc. They are all just out there in limbo since both Tag titles are held up in this Bloodline story line. There's just got to be SOME reason for the middle of the card to be hanging around, and right now it's basically to be plus 1s or for backstage shots.

Those are good points. Nothing about the midcard is exciting at all right now. It shows because the card for EC is only five matches. Two of them EC matches, with three to four people that 100% will not win. A mixed tag, granted Ripley is a beast, but these are boring and Ripley/Balor deserve better. Lesnar/Lashley, and the title match that where the title is 100% not changing hands. No Owens, no Tag titles, no IC title, no street fight with two guys who hate each others guts right now. 

EC might be shorter than an episode of Raw.

@BSLMikeRandall

#5852 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:24 PM

Having the Street Profits get involved with Edge and Beth against the Judgement Day just doesn't make any sense but it is what it is, I suppose. I wish the WWE would get back to having the tag team division actually mean something. I'll show my age a bit here but I long for the days the Midnight Express, the Rock N Roll Express, The Road Warriors, Tully and Arn, the British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, etc. Tag team wrestling is so much fun to watch when it's done right and taken seriously.

I would love to see FTR jump back to WWE and have a program with the Usos.

@primetime667083

#5853 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:24 PM

Having the Street Profits get involved with Edge and Beth against the Judgement Day just doesn't make any sense but it is what it is, I suppose. I wish the WWE would get back to having the tag team division actually mean something. I'll show my age a bit here but I long for the days the Midnight Express, the Rock N Roll Express, The Road Warriors, Tully and Arn, the British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, etc. Tag team wrestling is so much fun to watch when it's done right and taken seriously.

I would love to see FTR jump back to WWE and have a program with the Usos.

That's when I came up too, maybe a SMIDGE after, but overlapping. But with the belts tied up to one team, and they can't lose it or it lessens their story line, ALL the belts are frozen, and have been. They were finally getting back to having a decent tag division and not a bunch of singles guys partnering up to MAKE a tag division. Got carried for years by E&C, Hardyz, and Dudleys. Split everyone up and went some new ways, cool cool. But you've been carried by New Day, Usos, and random combos (although RK-Bro was fantastic). With Viking Raiders, Good Bros., Imperium, Banger Bros (or just go Seamus and Drew, they are like Taker and Kane cause they put them together and then go oh they should be in the title picture, lets break them up over and over). You've got some decent teams that could have matches and the storyline is just straight up, I want to be the champ. I really even liked Braun and Riccochet together. Need to work on the combo moves a bit, but the Power/Speed mix made for some really interesting matches, imagine if you made more of those kinds of combos vs Power/Power and Speed/Speed.

Hell, for that matter I'd tune in for a King of the Ring style tag PPV where you HAVE to match a Power and Speed guy, could be some really interesting matchups for the midcard guys sitting around doing NOTHING right now. We could FINALLY get the Brock/Benjamin team up!!!! Bring up Gable Stephenson and pair him with a veteran speed guy like AJ or even with someone young like Theory. Bring up Bron Brekker and pair him with someone electric. Sami and KO could kinda qualify as that type of pair. SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

@JeremyMStrain

#5854 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:36 PM

Those are good points. Nothing about the midcard is exciting at all right now. It shows because the card for EC is only five matches. Two of them EC matches, with three to four people that 100% will not win. A mixed tag, granted Ripley is a beast, but these are boring and Ripley/Balor deserve better. Lesnar/Lashley, and the title match that where the title is 100% not changing hands. No Owens, no Tag titles, no IC title, no street fight with two guys who hate each others guts right now. 

EC might be shorter than an episode of Raw.

Agreed. Kinda spitballing off my Power/Speed Tag Tourney idea, you could start new programs and drama by doing another one of those Mixed Tag tournaments. I actually liked the first one. Easy way to build some tension, and new stories. You could call it randomly generated, and pair Rhea up with someone else, and then you've got relationship drama with Dom, and a way to have their whole faction brought in to a story besides the tired Daddy issues drama. Would have been fun to pair Mandy and Otis again just to go back to that, but you know...she's out making real money now. Bianca and Jey, after the Bloodline feud is done. Becky and Seth? Or Becky and Seth against each other?

Maybe they should just add a Mixed Tag title to things, just to keep storylines fresh. There are a LOT of people sitting around doing nothing.

@JeremyMStrain

#5855 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:18 PM

Agreed. Kinda spitballing off my Power/Speed Tag Tourney idea, you could start new programs and drama by doing another one of those Mixed Tag tournaments. I actually liked the first one. Easy way to build some tension, and new stories. You could call it randomly generated, and pair Rhea up with someone else, and then you've got relationship drama with Dom, and a way to have their whole faction brought in to a story besides the tired Daddy issues drama. Would have been fun to pair Mandy and Otis again just to go back to that, but you know...she's out making real money now. Bianca and Jey, after the Bloodline feud is done. Becky and Seth? Or Becky and Seth against each other?

Maybe they should just add a Mixed Tag title to things, just to keep storylines fresh. There are a LOT of people sitting around doing nothing.

I just don't like the mixed tag rules. Someone tags in the other gender, then they have to switch. At some point the woman actually hits the man and its like OMG!!! I think in some smaller companies they have had mixed tags where they don't tag out to the same gender, or straight up inter-gender matches. I haven't watched them, I don't doubt that someone like Rhea Ripley or Ronda Rousey could go bell to bell with like Ricochet for 15 minutes and it be a great match. But you can't have Braun Strowman face Becky Lynch and make it seem believable that he wouldn't destroy her.

Maybe its because the stakes are always so minimal, or its the men doing their wives a favor. Like Miz and Maryse vs. Cena and whichever Bella wasn't married to Bryan. So maybe a belt raises the stakes.

I don't know. Those matches have just been boring, but the general public isn't ready for like Bobby Lashley to clothesline Bianca Belair either.

Since you brought up Dom, is it ironic that he goes by "Dom" but in this story where Rhea is "mami", Dom is definitely a "Sub", right?

@BSLMikeRandall

#5856 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:35 PM

Reigns getting paired with Heyman was the best to happen to his career. His promos have gotten miles better. We already know Paul E. is legendary on the mic. Owens and Zayn are veterans that can work and talk, ditto for Cody. And then Cody just has star power. 

I really wish they would go back to 2 hours for Raw. Three hours is way too long, still too much bad dialogue and everyone milks the crap out of their entrances.

I have listened to a couple of interviews HHH has done and he agrees.  I am sure it is $$$ but if it were me, I would do a 2 Hour Raw and Smackdown and a 90 minute NXT.  That said the quality of all 3 has gone up since HHH and HBK have taken over.

@mikeghg

#5857 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:37 PM

I just don't like the mixed tag rules. Someone tags in the other gender, then they have to switch. At some point the woman actually hits the man and its like OMG!!! I think in some smaller companies they have had mixed tags where they don't tag out to the same gender, or straight up inter-gender matches. I haven't watched them, I don't doubt that someone like Rhea Ripley or Ronda Rousey could go bell to bell with like Ricochet for 15 minutes and it be a great match. But you can't have Braun Strowman face Becky Lynch and make it seem believable that he wouldn't destroy her.

Maybe its because the stakes are always so minimal, or its the men doing their wives a favor. Like Miz and Maryse vs. Cena and whichever Bella wasn't married to Bryan. So maybe a belt raises the stakes.

I don't know. Those matches have just been boring, but the general public isn't ready for like Bobby Lashley to clothesline Bianca Belair either.

Since you brought up Dom, is it ironic that he goes by "Dom" but in this story where Rhea is "mami", Dom is definitely a "Sub", right?

I do not think any of the networks would ever sign off for a man vs. woman match where the women are actually taking serious bumps.  

@mikeghg

#5858 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:59 AM

Sounds like WWE missed a Daniel Bryan like opportunity by not having Zayn go over on Reigns in Montreal at EC.   Haven't been watching at all, but I have seen some of Zayn's promo's and ring work lately would certainly prefer him to Cody Rhodes.  

#5859 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:25 PM

Sounds like WWE missed a Daniel Bryan like opportunity by not having Zayn go over on Reigns in Montreal at EC.   Haven't been watching at all, but I have seen some of Zayn's promo's and ring work lately would certainly prefer him to Cody Rhodes.  

I think they did the right thing. Zayn has gotten over with the Bloodline angle and turn but they've been building to Cody-Reigns at this year's Mania since Cody arrived. 

I've enjoyed Sami's resurgence over the last year but putting the belts on him wouldn't have made any sense long term. With that said, Cody has been pretty much flawless since he came back. His matches with Rollins last year were outstanding and his promo work with Paul E and Sami have been very good, as well. 

Sami is a feel good story but having Cody beat Roman is the correct play, IMO.

@primetime667083

#5860 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 February 2023 - 02:32 PM

I think they did the right thing. Zayn has gotten over with the Bloodline angle and turn but they've been building to Cody-Reigns at this year's Mania since Cody arrived. 

I've enjoyed Sami's resurgence over the last year but putting the belts on him wouldn't have made any sense long term. With that said, Cody has been pretty much flawless since he came back. His matches with Rollins last year were outstanding and his promo work with Paul E and Sami have been very good, as well. 

Sami is a feel good story but having Cody beat Roman is the correct play, IMO.

His matches with Rollins were outstanding because Seth is one of the best in ring performers in WWE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=