#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Of the top ten American university campuses ranked by enrollment (as of the 2013-14 school year), three are in the state of Florida. One is the University of Florida flagship campus in Gainesville (8). What are the other two (2 and 4 overall)?

@DJ_McCann

#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

I know one of those is Central Florida. Don't know the other one.

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

USF

@fuzydunlop

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

Miami and Florida St have to be too obvious though they are both pretty big.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

Miami and Florida St have to be too obvious though they are both pretty big.

Miami's smaller than you would expect. About 10,000 undergrads; just over half the size of Towson.

@DJ_McCann

#6 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

Yeah Miami's private and not that big.  UCF has got to be one of the two, like Russ said.  I think the other might be FIU since that's also in Miami, but is public.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Yeah Miami's private and not that big.  UCF has got to be one of the two, like Russ said.  I think the other might be FIU since that's also in Miami, but is public.

UCF and FIU.

It's interesting. Of the top ten, the remaining eight (including Florida) are the flagship campuses of statewide university systems. Then there's UCF and FIU.

How many people in this country have ever heard of Florida International University?

Arizona State is #1, by the way, and Ohio State #3.

@DJ_McCann

#8 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

UCF and FIU.

It's interesting. Of the top ten, the remaining eight (including Florida) are the flagship campuses of statewide university systems. Then there's UCF and FIU.

How many people in this country have ever heard of Florida International University?

Arizona State is #1, by the way, and Ohio State #3.

I didn't realize Minnesota and Indiana were THAT big.  I knew they'd have a lot of enrollment, but I definitely wouldn't have pegged them as top 10.

#9 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

The posts were already up, but I knew when reading the OP that FIU was one of the other two. I have heard of it for a fair number of years, and found out several years ago just how high their enrollment is. It's easy to get smacked in the face by that fact, certainly.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

I knew UCF had the largest enrollment of any school in Fla (I have a cousin who went there) and one of the largest in the country. I would not have guessed FIU as the other Top 10....probably would have picked FSU instead.

Wonder why FL has that many schools with large enrollment? I know it is now the 3rd most populated state in the US (passed NY sometime in 2014), but I'd think with all the retirees a larger portion of that population skews older than traditional college-aged students. Does the state make college more accessible for residents? Is out-of state tuition cheaper, so that more kids come from elsewhere to go to school there? Is it the weather, beaches, etc?

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:53 AM

Here's one I stumbled on today that might surprise people. Accounting only for citizens 15-older who drink, what country consumes the most alcohol per capita?

And from the same website, what is the worst country in the world to be a beer-lover....in terms of how many minutes worked (at the median wage) it takes to purchase 500ml of beer (based on average retail price in that country)?

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:02 AM

Most alcohol per capita I'd say Russia.

Most expensive beer. Hmm. Belgium?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

Most alcohol per capita I'd say Russia.

Most expensive beer. Hmm. Belgium?

Nope, and nope. Although the Russians are definitely heavy drinkers. But this stat only factors the people who drink....abstainers don't count.

#14 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Isn't it France? I remember I read an article about them being huge wine drinkers and I was surprised at how much they were consuming.

As for the worst, my guess is Malaysia. The workers make nothing and supply is probably low because of religious reasons.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Ireland is my guess for the first one.

#16 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

This is something off the wall like Albania or something for the most.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Here's one I stumbled on today that might surprise people. Accounting only for citizens 15-older who drink, what country consumes the most alcohol per capita?

And from the same website, what is the worst country in the world to be a beer-lover....in terms of how many minutes worked (at the median wage) it takes to purchase 500ml of beer (based on average retail price in that country)?

1) It's Chad. Even though 90% of the population abstains, the 10% who do drink consume an average 34 liters per person, per year. #2 was, surprisingly to me, U.A.E. They have even more abstainers, but those who do drink drink a lot. The US was #106 at about 13 liters. (I assume the measurement is in spirits, and the conversions are done for beer/wine)

2) India. A person earning the median wage would have to work about 53 minutes to make enough to buy 500 ml (barely more than one 16oz beer). US was at the bottom of the chart I saw, at about 6 minutes.

Here's the link to both charts, and a bunch of other facts about alcohol consumption.

• Icterus galbula and DJ MC like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=