#2101 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

Saban 5 national Championships in 9 years.   Not to bad.

@mikeghg

#2102 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Great game, can't ask for much more out of a National Championship game. There's certainly some Alabama fatigue, but you can't discount the incredible job that Nick Saban has done in Tuscaloosa. Year in and year out, they're at the top of the heap. Going to be tough to knock them down, at least as long as he's coaching. And great work by Dabo Swinney and the Tigers. Deshaun Watson is going to be fun to watch next year. He and Christian McCaffrey look to be the very early favorites for the Heisman Trophy.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2103 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

Great game... Bama dodged a bullet...

Saban must've been pretty spooked by Clemson to do something risky like that onside kick.

Re: Clemson... just wait 'til next year  ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2104 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

Great game, can't ask for much more out of a National Championship game. There's certainly some Alabama fatigue, but you can't discount the incredible job that Nick Saban has done in Tuscaloosa. Year in and year out, they're at the top of the heap. Going to be tough to knock them down, at least as long as he's coaching. And great work by Dabo Swinney and the Tigers. Deshaun Watson is going to be fun to watch next year. He and Christian McCaffrey look to be the very early favorites for the Heisman Trophy.

Fournette

#2105 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Championship ratings down 15% from 2015

@DJ_McCann

#2106 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Wow, the Duke-Wisconsin CBB championship had higher ratings than last night.

#2107 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

I don't watch lots of TV, so this might be wrong... but from what I saw the semi-finals were hyped more than the final...

Is that just me?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2108 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

I don't watch lots of TV, so this might be wrong... but from what I saw the semi-finals were hyped more than the final...

Is that just me?

As I said earlier in the thread...

As Ricker said, there's absolutely nothing else to compete, so the CFP guys want it to be a "college football day" similar to what the sport already has on January 1.

The problem is, it's like a TV network taking its best, most-expensive shows and airing them on Saturday night. People aren't looking to watch TV regularly at that day and time; many are out, and others are catching up on reruns or (now) on-demand and streaming shows. Put The Big Bang Theory on at 8:00pm Saturday and its ratings will be cut in half.

That's ESPN's issue with the CFP. They have a huge sum of money that they are paying for the rights, of which they must recoup a significant amount through advertising. So if the ratings aren't there, the advertisers won't pay nearly as much for that commercial time. But since the CFP gets the money either way, they could give a shit unless ESPN finds a way to change their minds.

ESPN was hyping the hell out of those games (to the point of referencing them in ABC soaps and Disney Channel shows) because they knew how awful the ratings were going to be. They didn't need to do as much for the final, so in comparison their normal hyping comes off as tame.

@DJ_McCann

#2109 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

As I said earlier in the thread...

ESPN was hyping the hell out of those games (to the point of referencing them in ABC soaps and Disney Channel shows) because they knew how awful the ratings were going to be. They didn't need to do as much for the final, so in comparison their normal hyping comes off as tame.

Well, if the ratings fell 15% and fell below a college b-ball game, maybe they did need to hype the hell out if it... IIRC, they sure did last year...

#2110 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Roll Tide

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#2111 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF