#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

@masnSteve: Frederick 1B Christian Walker has been added to the U.S roster for the Futures Game.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

He's having a solid season.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=572233

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Why not Delmonico? Walkers not much of a prospect IMO but congrats to him regardless.

#24 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Why not Delmonico? Walkers not much of a prospect IMO but congrats to him regardless.

In terms of Walker:

Luke and I were discussing this earlier via text, and we both came to the conclusion that its because 1B is not usually that deep in the minors. Look around at most MLB clubs, and you will see that majority of the 1B were at other positions in the minors. At least this is the theory we came to. I think it's certainly a valid reason though. 

I like Christian Walker, but nothing has really changed my opinion on him dramatically. He is still just an average prospect in the grand scheme of things, and will REALLY need to hit in order to boost his value to make any "top" prospect lists.

Nice player though, and certainly have a solid season that merits some attention.

• BobPhelan likes this

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

In terms of Walker:

Luke and I were discussing this earlier via text, and we both came to the conclusion that its because 1B is not usually that deep in the minors. Look around at most MLB clubs, and you will see that majority of the 1B were at other positions in the minors. At least this is the theory we came to. I think it's certainly a valid reason though. 

I like Christian Walker, but nothing has really changed my opinion on him dramatically. He is still just an average prospect in the grand scheme of things, and will REALLY need to hit in order to boost his value to make any "top" prospect lists.

Nice player though, and certainly have a solid season that merits some attention.

What's his defense like?

Can he be a Mark Grace like guy....solid ObP, good average...maybe not the power you want but still a productive player?

#26 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

What's his defense like?

Can he be a Mark Grace like guy....solid ObP, good average...maybe not the power you want but still a productive player?

Sure, it is possible for him to be that mold. His approach and discipline is not near the level of a Grace type...but it's good enough. Walker to me is just not a flashy player. He's like the L.J. Hoes of first basemen. Which is fine, but not going to warrant super discussion about him. 

He plays a solid defense at first. Good enough range and handles the glove well. Definitely wouldn't worry about him defensively. 

#27 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

He has the best hit tool in our system. And it's not close.

I'd say he plays above average D at first.

Stotle RTd a guy tonight who said something like Delmonico better hit the lights out because he's a first baseman. I've said this before, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Walker.

@fuzydunlop

#28 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Stotle RTd a guy tonight who said something like Delmonico better hit the lights out because he's a first baseman. I've said this before, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Walker.

It's not close? Where are you getting this from?

Good hit tool, good approach, not far and away better than anyone else.

There is no giant separation from any players in this system outside the top few.

#29 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Keith Law brought up Christian Walker on his podcast this week. Here's what he said:

Bat speed isn't great, the approach is very good. He's a really poor defender at first though, that was the thing that shocked me the most.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

There is no giant separation from any players in this system outside the top few.

Ok, who has a better hit tool? Keep in mind I'm not talking about power.

The system is quite shallow.

@fuzydunlop

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Keith Law brought up Christian Walker on his podcast this week. Here's what he said:

To me, it seems 1st base is a position that can be improved significantly defensively. Davis or Reynolds weren't thought to be good defenders at 1st base, but with work, both turned out to be adequate (Reynolds probably a bit more than adequate, at least at times). I'd be interested in hearing more about this though. Footwork? Range? What's the deal?

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Ok, who has a better hit tool? Keep in mind I'm not talking about power.

The system is quite shallow.

Walker.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

I would say L.J. Hoes arguably has a better hit tool.

I just don't think there is any large separation in this system from Walker over others.

#34 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I would say L.J. Hoes arguably has a better hit tool.

I just don't think there is any large separation in this system from Walker over others.

Just one guy's opinion.  If he ever makes the majors and does well, I will be insufferable. 

When he doesn't, feel free to blast me for it.

@fuzydunlop

#35 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Just one guy's opinion.  If he ever makes the majors and does well, I will be insufferable. 

When he doesn't, feel free to blast me for it.

lol, I hope he does.

I always want every prospect to be better than anything I say.

#36 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

To me, it seems 1st base is a position that can be improved significantly defensively. Davis or Reynolds weren't thought to be good defenders at 1st base, but with work, both turned out to be adequate (Reynolds probably a bit more than adequate, at least at times). I'd be interested in hearing more about this though. Footwork? Range? What's the deal?

I always thought I read Davis was a good defender.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

He isn't bad at first. I don't understand why people harp on his bad d when that was only when he was being asked to play out of position in the of. Besides with his offense there you just shut up and take what you get...don't rock the boat.
@JeremyMStrain

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Could be. I could have sworn there were concerns about his 1B defense coming into this season. No biggie either way - it doesn't change my general question, which is, how hard is it to improve your defense at 1st? It seems there are several unathletic big types that fare quite well at 1st...

#39 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

By the way, I do not agree with Law that Walker is very poor at first. Is he the level that we thought originally out of the draft? Probably not at all. But he is good enough at first. I wonder if he is making this impression after 1 game? I've seen walker a bunch last year and this year and he was fine.

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

By the way, I do not agree with Law that Walker is very poor at first. Is he the level that we thought originally out of the draft? Probably not at all. But he is good enough at first. I wonder if he is making this impression after 1 game? I've seen walker a bunch last year and this year and he was fine.

My guess is that there was a botch or two in the one game he saw the other day (was supposedly an ugly game) and made that call. If that is the call he made, I didn't hear anything about it, I just saw him say that Delmonico wasn't going to work at 3rd, but I think everyone knew that his first pro season.

Ah, I went back and read the podcast quote. That was a day or two after the ugly game he saw against Wilmington, so my guess is Walker had a couple rough plays. Defense is one of those things you have to get multiple looks on to really assess.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=