ESPN: http://espn.go.com/h...99/adrian-marin

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

From ESPN's recruiting page:

Marin is a plus runner with some quick-twitch actions that suggest he's got more pop in his bat than his 170-pound frame would otherwise suggest. He's drawn comparisons to former first-round pick and Florida product Nick Franklin along the way. Marin has a good shot to stick at shortstop and if a club believes he will mature physically and hit enough, he could be a top 50 pick. If he doesn't like his draft position, he's got a full ride to Miami waiting for him.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Baseball Draft Report: http://baseballdraft...stop-prospects/

5. SS Adrian Marin (Gulliver Prep HS, Florida): plus arm strength; confirmed plus speed; needs to add some bulk; steady defender who should stick at SS, could be very good at 2B; no problems with velocity; gap power; has “it” whatever that is; 6-0, 170 pounds

#5 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Website called Coast2Coast prospects tweeted that they loved the pick.

Marin is a Miami (FL) commit who sees the ball well out of the pitcher’s hand and has good pitch recognition. He shows a line drive approach and utilizes with a leg lift load. He has very good gap power, but not much home run pop and does not project too much more in the future. He's more of a doubles and triples and will hit them in droves. He has proven that he can turn around velocit

He has plus speed and a plus arm, is very quick and an above average defender. He looks to be an excellent college player, but it remains to be seen what kind of pro he will be. Marin is a shortstop right now, and could possibly stick there, but he's the kind of athlete that could play any position on the field. Accordingly, he looks to be a good bet to move to center where he would be a plus defender, but his bat would have to play up. I like what he brings to the table more than fellow Florida prep and Miami commit, outfielder Albert Almora, even though Almora is more polished at this point.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

KS4eMVzadek

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

I like what I am reading about this guy.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

BA only had him ranked #192...they didn't seem to like him all that much.

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

BA only had him ranked #192...they didn't seem to like him all that much.

Pretty normal for HS kids with some work to do. Look at some of the college stars and see where BA had them ranked at their draft time out of HS. Wouldn't worry about it, it's a pretty good toolset to work with, but I don't know a ton about him, just some stuff I've seen at a glance.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Adrian Marin ‏@Adrian_Marin8
Unreal! Drafted 99 overall to the Orioles! So blessed #amazing #Orioles

Good to see some excitement.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

From Todd Gold:

Todd Gold‏@TGold_PG

Surprised to see Adrian Marin come off the board this early. Always been told he'd be a high pick out of college. Nice pick for #Orioles.

He is a scouting coordinator for perfect game...Not sure if he is any good or not.

#12 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

My biggest concern on Marin is whether he's going to go to college and probably get himself drafted in the first round in 3 years. If we can sign this guy, it's a great pick. I have high hopes for this guy, especially as his body fills out and he develops some pop. I can see him being our starting SS, with Machado at 3B and Schoop at 2B in 2016.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

My biggest concern on Marin is whether he's going to go to college and probably get himself drafted in the first round in 3 years. If we can sign this guy, it's a great pick. I have high hopes for this guy, especially as his body fills out and he develops some pop. I can see him being our starting SS, with Machado at 3B and Schoop at 2B in 2016.

Should be able to sign him...First 2 picks should sign for slot or less.

#14 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Marin is a guy who, after 3 years of college ball, could be in the discussion for top 10 picks. Big speed guy, great upside grab in the 3rd for the birds.
@JeffLongBP

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

WNST: Interview with Marin (Audio)
http://wnst.net/audi...ed by Baltimore

#16 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Just some quick thoughts (have to check my notes because he is now blending some with two other kids I saw)...

1. Marin's straight line speed is better than his playable speed right no (runs a plus 60, but more above-average to plus on the bases for me).

2. The big homerun hit hit off Gallo at NHSI was with metal.

3. Arm strength was average for me in October, though I've heard others call it above-average.

4. Think he played 2b for the Red Sox Scout team, but will have to check my notes. If I'm remembering the right kid, range wasn't great at second, but looked to get better as he continues to develop and take better lines.

5. Much more exciting as a projection pick than a "now" skill set pick. Be patient with him early on.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@NickJFaleris

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Any thoughts on signability with this kid Stotle?

#18 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Rajsich talking to Melewski about Marin.

Rajsich also has high hopes for Marin, the third-round pick who is a speedy middle infielder out of Gulliver Prep in Miami.

"Marin is a good athlete. He's got big tools and we wanted to get younger and more exciting. He's a speedy, exciting player with enough tools to stay in the dirt at short or second and be a dynamic player. He just needs to learn more about the game. He is one of those guys that doesn't need a lot of development," Rajsich said.

#19 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Any thoughts on signability with this kid Stotle?

I don't know what his financial situation is (don't remember meeting his parents). Definitely top notch student and would be playing ball at his hometown college at the U. If he weren't signable, no way Baltimore would have picked him here and risked this large piece of the signing pool (I think about 5%?). But I don't know if they need to go over the allotted amount.
@NickJFaleris

#20 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Signed. Boom.

https://twitter.com/...932024834404352
@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic