Photo

Benefits of acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractors, etc.?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

Someone close to me has been living with a chronic headache for most of their life. They've visited a lot of different doctors and had multiple procedures done, all of which have proven to be inconclusive.

Needless to say, I want to help them but they're skeptical there's anything out there that can help them. That said, I was wondering about some of the alternate medicines listed above. Have any of you benefited from them (or other procedures)? Or do you know of anyone that has? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

Someone close to me has been living with a chronic headache for most of their life. They've visited a lot of different doctors and had multiple procedures done, all of which have proven to be inconclusive.

Needless to say, I want to help them but they're skeptical there's anything out there that can help them. That said, I was wondering about some of the alternate medicines listed above. Have any of you benefited from them (or other procedures)? Or do you know of anyone that has? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

I've found that the placebo affect from things like this have genuinely helped people if nothing else. Headaches are tricky because they can be caused by both physical and mental stimuli. Tell them to try it that you've heard it can really help. If it does, great, if not then they just stop going.
  • ChaosLex likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yeah if they buy into the benefits, the placebo effect can be very real.  That gets minimized if they're really skeptical, though.  I don't know how much, if any, actual scientifically tested aid many of those things you mention actually provide.  I don't think they are all just holistic nonsense, chiropractic care in particular has some real scientific backing beyond just the placebo effect, but it's not a cure-all, it only works for the things it works for, I'm not sure headaches is on the list.  Acupuncture is snake oil.

• ChaosLex likes this

#4 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

I went to a chiropractor once.  Best back-cracking I've ever had in my life.  A+, would go again.

Then he pressed around and found a sore spot on one side of my back and told me that could be causing the anxiety I was going through at the time.  I kind of gave him one of those looks, said thanks, and left.

0s9nMDo.jpg

• ChaosLex likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

free-happy-ending.jpg

• ChaosLex and JamesGallden like this

#6 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

I went to a chiropractor once.  Best back-cracking I've ever had in my life.  A+, would go again.

Then he pressed around and found a sore spot on one side of my back and told me that could be causing the anxiety I was going through at the time.  I kind of gave him one of those looks, said thanks, and left.

0s9nMDo.jpg

My wife struggles with Anxiety and some slight neurological issues (we all do apparently) and has been seeing a chiropractor that has been giving her some brain exercises that have greatly reduced her frequency of panic attacks.

Her blood pressure can be ten points off from one arm to other when she is having an attack, and then she does a couple of the brain exercises and it really helps her blood pressure so it's only a couple of point off.  It sounds crazy and I thought it was until it was noticeable in her everyday life.  

Here is who my wifes chiro works with and learned all of this info from, http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=17027630

• ChaosLex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=