#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

So I am still trying to figure out this iCloud thing.  My phone is pretty much maxed out of space and, when I look at the storage bar, it tells me that a lot of my storage is used up by songs saved on the phone.

Can I delete all of these and just download them from the Cloud when I want to play them?  After I play them, do they stay on the phone or will they go back to the Cloud?  Do I need to be on WiFi to download songs from the CLoud?  I have also heard about this iTunes Match for like $25/year.  What is the point of that if you can simply download all your songs from the Cloud any way?

Most posters here are smarter than me, so hopefully someone can help.  Thanks.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

Funny, I am currently trying to figure out iCloud stuff too.

Most of my phone's storage is photos. I've made an iCloud account online and have downloaded it onto my computer, but no recent photos that I have taken on my phone appear on iCloud. The most recent is from September, even though I connect to WiFi every day.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

The horrible thing about Apple's cloud services as it pertains to music is that when it "streams" a song, it then downloads it on your device. You have to manually delete it in order for it to get off your device.

That's why I prefer Google's cloud because it simply streams the music. It's gone from the device after the song plays.

You can set it up based on your preference to download/play on WiFi only, or Data + WiFi. If you know you want to listen to the Arcade Fire catalog a particular day, I'd recommend downloading them from the cloud in the morning before you leave your house so it doesn't hog the data.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

It's probably the biggest reason why I went with Samsung/Google vs. Apple.

The other thing being my phone is 16 GB's... and I bought a 32 GB SD card. So I download my favorite albums to the SD card anyway so that it's not always streaming them.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

For someone who obsesses over music as much as you... if you're going to stick with Apple, your best bet is to still use an iPod. Get a high capacity iPod, you should never have an issue. Sucks to have to carry around an extra device though.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

For someone who obsesses over music as much as you... if you're going to stick with Apple, your best bet is to still use an iPod. Get a high capacity iPod, you should never have an issue. Sucks to have to carry around an extra device though.

Yea I mean I subscribe to Spotify so it's not a HUGE deal...but I have a ton of music and a lot of it I purchased via iTunes which I obviously couldn't take over to Samsung.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yea I mean I subscribe to Spotify so it's not a HUGE deal...but I have a ton of music and a lot of it I purchased via iTunes which I obviously couldn't take over to Samsung.

You can though, that's the thing. Having Spotify is great though - in that sense, you're probably set. The few artists that Spotify doesn't feature, you can just have on your iPhone and you'll be good.

#8 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

https://play.google....t/music/unlock/

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

AFAIK, the iTunes quit their obnoxious DRM in '09... so it's only music that you were dumb enough to buy from them that's at issue.   There's a couple ways to get those songs unlocked.  The easiest way is to first make sure they still have those available for download and, if they do, then delete the copy you have and then download a fresh copy.  The fresh copy won't be DRM'd.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

If you want more on your device, try changing what bitrate stuff gets added at. That freed up a ton of space when I did it on my iPod.

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

If you want more on your device, try changing what bitrate stuff gets added at. That freed up a ton of space when I did it on my iPod.

Depends on the quality of your earphones and your ears...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=