203 replies to this topic

#161 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

Really?  Because the evidence against him was pretty weak to begin with and now, some of that has turned out to be bullshit.

So, what evidence is there?

What is bullshit?  The cell towers?  Okay so they can't pinpoint his location there from incoming calls.  So what?  

I posted the links to a bunch of documentation.  Read it.  Make up your own mind, instead of listening to how Rabia is spinning things.  

#162 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Don apparently having his time card falsified to make it seem like he was working when he wasn't is a red flag.

It doesn't mean he wasn't working.  It means his time card isn't on the up and up.  He was working at a location that wasn't his usual store.  Or it could mean his mom or stepmom got scared when they started searching the area around Don's house looking for Hae and her car and made it up as an alibi.  Yeah, it doesn't look good so far as him working that day.  Long, long way from him being involved.

How did Jay know the clothes Hae was wearing that day? How did he know she didn't have her shoes on when she was buried?

It's a really big red flag man.

My position in this was basically that I was the evidence wasn't strong enough to convict, but Adnan very likely did it since there wasn't a particularly plausible alternative. Well now Don is a plausible alternative imo.

As far as Jay, well some of what he said was certainly compelling, but I am bothered by how much he was coached and there is reason to be a bit skeptical of what he "knew."
  • KWebz likes this

#163 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

It's a really big red flag man.

My position in this was basically that I was the evidence wasn't strong enough to convict, but Adnan very likely did it since there wasn't a particularly plausible alternative. Well now Don is a plausible alternative imo.

As far as Jay, well some of what he said was certainly compelling, but I am bothered by how much he was coached and there is reason to be a bit skeptical of what he "knew."

I'm sure Jay was coached on his timeline, which they tried to get to match the cell phone pings that they were wrong about.  Jay knows too much to not be there.  

#164 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

What is bullshit? The cell towers? Okay so they can't pinpoint his location there from incoming calls. So what?

I posted the links to a bunch of documentation. Read it. Make up your own mind, instead of listening to how Rabia is spinning things.

As I said, I have only heard a few episodes with Rabia. What she is saying has very little bearing on me.

There isn't a competent argument that says he should be i jail. That doesn't mean he's innocent of this but clearly, the case against him is complete shit and he has no business being in jail.

Rabia has shown, for what little I heard, that some of the evidence is bs. Koenig found out about the cell tower stuff, which was a big strike against Adnan and now it's shit.

#165 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

What is bullshit? The cell towers? Okay so they can't pinpoint his location there from incoming calls. So what?

I posted the links to a bunch of documentation. Read it. Make up your own mind, instead of listening to how Rabia is spinning things.

As I said, I have only heard a few episodes with Rabia. What she is saying has very little bearing on me.

There isn't a competent argument that says he should be i jail. That doesn't mean he's innocent of this but clearly, the case against him is complete shit and he has no business being in jail.

Rabia has shown, for what little I heard, that some of the evidence is bs. Koenig found out about the cell tower stuff, which was a big strike against Adnan and now it's shit.

Koenig read the cell tower stuff from the transcripts. Rabia's co-host Susan Simpson found the fax cover sheet saying incoming calls shouldn't be used to verify location.

When you have 45 minutes, read the transcripts.

#166 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

Jay was also provided a lawyer through the police, no? Something odd went on there...
  • KWebz likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#167 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

What is bullshit?  The cell towers?  Okay so they can't pinpoint his location there from incoming calls.  So what?  

I posted the links to a bunch of documentation.  Read it.  Make up your own mind, instead of listening to how Rabia is spinning things.  

The cell towers were a big reason he was convicted. It was stated that during the testimony the lawyer gave a time and linked it to a cell phone ping and it resonated strongly with the jury. If that cover sheet was included, it wouldn't have even been allowed to be used in trial. But so what? No way man

#168 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Jay was also provided a lawyer through the police, no? Something odd went on there...

Worse, through the prosecutor. Even more odd

#169 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

The cell towers were a big reason he was convicted. It was stated that during the testimony the lawyer gave a time and linked it to a cell phone ping and it resonated strongly with the jury. If that cover sheet was included, it wouldn't have even been allowed to be used in trial. But so what? No way man

Yeah.  It was just one piece of the puzzle.  I think it's minor.

#170 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

Worse, through the prosecutor. Even more odd

https://theintercept...se-goes-record/

Jay had committed a crime, which he had not yet been charged for. Second, he was a very important witness in the case, and it would be necessary to work on some sort of plea agreement. I don’t know if the police suggested it or we suggested that he talk to a public defender. But he talked to some public defenders, and they wouldn’t represent him, because he was not charged with a crime yet. He went to several attorneysthey wouldn’t represent him unless he paid them a fee. Jay did not have the money to pay for a private attorney. At that time, I had a case with Anne Benaroya. I knew from talking with her throughout the course of the case that she had been a public defender. She had a keen interest in constitutional rights. I told her about Jay. I said, ‘Can you think of any place I can tell this guy to go, because he wants representation. He’s not comfortable talking to the state without someone advising him about what’s best for him.’

Prosecutors can’t advise a criminal defendant what’s in their best interest. They need independent counsel. She volunteered to talk to Jay to tell him his options of where he could go for representation. So I told Jay, there is this attorney who was willing to talk with him about that, and I asked would he like to meet with her? He said yes. Anne met with him.

She came back to us and said basically that she found him a meritorious person who needed representation, and she was going to volunteer to handle it, which I think was admirable, commendable, and that’s what attorneys should do. I see it all the time. Attorneys will say this guy needs representation, and someone will step forward to serve that function. You have rules that we’re supposed to do that.  We’re supposed to honor the Constitution and people’s rights. It’s in the rules for professional conduct. You’re supposed to treat opposing parties with fairness.

#171 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

No way. There were two pieces to this: Jay's testimony and the cell phone pings. Without the pings, no correlation with Jay's story and no proof. Its a huge piece of the puzzle. 

#172 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

No way. There were two pieces to this: Jay's testimony and the cell phone pings. Without the pings, no correlation with Jay's story and no proof. Its a huge piece of the puzzle. 

The cell phone records still corroborate that Jay was with Adnan.

#173 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Lol

A major piece of evidence that has shown to be false is minor? Ummm ok.

#174 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

Lol

A major piece of evidence that has shown to be false is minor? Ummm ok.

It hasn't been shown to be false.

#175 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

The State is compelled, however, to also point out that even a cursory review of the cell tower records and fax cover sheets makes it clear that what Syed characterizes as an “unambiguous warning” does not relate to the cell tower records relied upon at trial by the State’s expert and admitted into evidence, but rather applies to information listed on documents titled “Subscriber Activity” reports.

The flaw in Syed’s argument is that the cellphone records relied upon by the State’s expert and entered into evidence at trial were not Subscriber Activity reports. … Under these circumstances — and having corrected the misimpression advanced, presumably inadvertently, by Syed — counsel’s failure to confront the State’s expert witness with a fax cover sheet that corresponded to an altogether different document can hardly be called ineffective … Indeed, had Gutierrez challenged the State’s expert with a notation in a boilerplate legend from a generic fax cover sheet that applied to a separate report, she would have run the unwarranted risk of looking foolish or disingenuous to the jury.

Last year, when we were reporting the Adnan Syed case, we here at Serial actually spent a good chunk of time investigating this very same disclaimer on the fax cover page from AT&T. Dana emailed and called AT&T repeatedly, but they never answered the question about the disclaimer. Dana also wrote to Waranowitz, asking for help understanding the cell records, but he never responded. Finally Dana ran the disclaimer past a couple of cell phone experts, the same guys who had reviewed, at our request, all the cell phone testimony from Adnan’s trial, and they said, as far as the science goes, it shouldn’t matter: incoming or outgoing, it shouldn’t change which tower your phone uses. Maybe it was an idiosyncrasy to do with AT&T’s record-keeping, the experts said, but again, for location data, it shouldn’t make a difference whether the call was going out or coming in.

Here's the affidavits.  http://cjbrownlawcom...LY-EXHIBITS.pdf

Good luck getting the cell phones thrown out.

Edit:  And Koenig did see the warning there.  My memory failed me.

#176 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

It doesn't have to be thrown out for people to question if it's accurate.

At the very least, it's not as damning as it was before.

#177 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

It doesn't have to be thrown out for people to question if it's accurate.

At the very least, it's not as damning as it was before.

Of course it is. This shit is a smokescreen. It's irrelevant to what was presented at trial.

#178 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Serial 2: Electric Boogaloo!

https://serialpodcast.org/

• Russ likes this

#179 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

Not as enthused about this as the first season -- I wish they would have stuck with the murder investigation theme, but I'll check it out.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#180 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

http://www.baltimore...0203-story.html

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users