#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Episode 9... again talking about the payphone at Best Buy...  "Laura" saying there was not a payphone there.

That's bs... I know there was.

Ehh.. maybe I missed it... looks like they are saying inside the Best Buy?  That I don't know.

I know there was a pay phone outside the store, in-between Best Buy and the McDonalds next door.

Are you convinced it was there at that exact time? And even if you are, well someone else is convinced out wasn't there, so you know, remembering something like that from 15 years ago isn't exactly the most reliable.

#22 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

Just finished episode 5.   I want to believe that Jay did it and Adnand is innocent.  Jay sounds like a bad guy and Adnand sounds like a good guy.

Here are the parts that trouble me the most:

1.  Adnand's cell phone pinged near Leakin Park at the right time.  Does Adnand say that Jay could have had his phone at this time?  So far I don't think he has said this.

2.  Adnand met up with that other guy to smoke weed in the same area where he would have killed Hae.  That's troubling to me.

This is also early in the world of cell phone technology.   I don't think Jay would even know to try to make Adnand's phone ping in a certain area in order to help him frame Adnand.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Are you convinced it was there at that exact time? And even if you are, well someone else is convinced out wasn't there, so you know, remembering something like that from 15 years ago isn't exactly the most reliable.

Yeah, I'm 100% convinced there was a pay phone in-between the Best Buy and McDonald's there at that time.

Verizon should be able to confirm this...

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

Over on Reddit they've confirmed that there definitely used to be two pay phones inside the lobby of Best Buy.   Not sure about outside.  But here's what is being presented as photo proof of inside:

wH3i5PM.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

Also, Adnan claimed the payphone that he didn't use was in the lobby:

Quote from Adnan (stating what he didn't do):

"...and then I walk into the Best Buy Lobby and call Jay and tell him to come meet me there—all in 21 minutes..."

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#26 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

However, Jay said they were outside.  Interesting.

J8hU9X6.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, I'm 100% convinced there was a pay phone in-between the Best Buy and McDonald's there at that time.

Yet they weren't able to. And again, someone else was 100% positive there wasn't one. So I understand that you're 100%, but so is someone else. So someone's 100% is wrong. This isn't meant to attack your credibility at all, it's just that people saying things like this aren't totally reliable, especially 15 years later.

I mean there probably was one there because a big deal should have been made at the time if it weren't there, but I'm just going to have to leave that as a question mark.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Over on Reddit they've confirmed that there definitely used to be two pay phones inside the lobby of Best Buy.   Not sure about outside.  But here's what is being presented as photo proof of inside:

wH3i5PM.jpg

That's cool... didn't know about inside, only outside....   as I said before, I thought I might have heard it wrong... that they were talking about inside only.  Good work Sam.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't believe I've heard McDonalds mentioned once on the pod. Can you be more descriptive of how far it is from the Best Buy and where exactly the pay phone was?

#30 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

I don't believe I've heard McDonalds mentioned once on the pod. Can you be more descriptive of how far it is from the Best Buy and where exactly the pay phone was?

Someone mentioned eating at McDonalds around episode three.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Doesn't look like it matters Mike... looks like I missed that the discussion was about inside the Best Buy.

That said, here is a link to Google Maps.. you can see the Best Buy and the McDonalds...

https://www.google.c...NAw!2e0!6m1!1e1

And btw... no offense at all to your previous comments... it's been a long time. I'm confident of my recollection here, but memory can play tricks on you.

#32 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

Episode 2:

Adnan Syed

I would-- wouldn’t have asked for a ride after school. I’m-- I’m sure that I didn’t ask her because, well immediately after school because I know she always-- anyone who knows her knows she always goes to pick up her little cousin, so she’s not doing anything for anyone right after school. No-- no matter what. No trip to McDonalds. Not a trip to 7-Eleven. She took that very seriously.

Proud of myself for retaining that.   Not so proud of myself because I only remembered because it made me hungry for McDonalds.

Like Stoner said though, irrelevant.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#33 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Jay got zero jail time?!
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

Doesn't look like it matters Mike... looks like I missed that the discussion was about inside the Best Buy.

That said, here is a link to Google Maps.. you can see the Best Buy and the McDonalds...
https://www.google.c...NAw!2e0!6m1!1e1

And btw... no offense at all to your previous comments... it's been a long time. I'm confident of my recollection here, but memory can play tricks on you.

Jay said the phone was outside, but like right in front of it, I believe. So there's conflicting statements just like with a lot of Jay's info. Also I'm not trying to say you're mistaken, I'm just saying what would I or a juror do with you and someone else roughly equally believable saying there definitely wasn't a phone.

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

Jay's timeline doesn't work, even with all the coaching and the ever changing story. That doesn't mean Adnan is innocent, far from it, but it makes it hard to find him guilty IMO.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

Jay's timeline is a mess... no doubt. 

One thing not explained sufficient to me, is why Jay would be going through with all of the accessory after the fact stuff he claims... for someone who was less of a friend, and more of someone he occasionally smoked with.

My take has remained basically the same after listening through. I think Adnan is guilty, but also think the evidence against him is pretty thin.

Jay getting 2 yrs probation is just odd imo.

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

Jay's timeline is a mess... no doubt. 

One thing not explained sufficient to me, is why Jay would be going through with all of the accessory after the fact stuff he claims... for someone who was less of a friend, and more of someone he occasionally smoked with.

My take has remained basically the same after listening through. I think Adnan is guilty, but also think the evidence against him is pretty thin.

Jay getting 2 yrs probation is just odd imo.

Jay explained that: basically, once Adnan showed him the body, he felt that he was involved and couldn't risk going to police without Adnan hurting his girlfriend.

@DJ_McCann

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

This is actually the biggest detail that is bothering me, and it's less about the case than the investigation and the reporting. If there's a controversy over the location--or even the existence--of these phones, wouldn't the first thing you do, be to go to the phone company? Even if Verizon (or at that time still Bell Atlantic; that's how long ago this was) didn't keep those records, that should be mentioned. I can't be the only one out there yelling at poor Sarah every time this comes up.

@DJ_McCann

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Jay got zero jail time?!

Sure. He cooperated, and was in fact pretty much the state's entire case. But if that gets to you, just wait...

@DJ_McCann

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Jay explained that: basically, once Adnan showed him the body, he felt that he was involved and couldn't risk going to police without Adnan hurting his girlfriend.

Why are they together during the day? Why is Adnan calling him for a lift / help after? Okay, Jay sells him some weed... And they smoke together.. but they are described as more of acquaintances vs friends.

Jay is doing things before seeing the body which speak to a larger relationship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=