599 replies to this topic

#381 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:01 PM

BSL: The Big Ten is Expanding to the West Coast - What That Means For its Present and Future

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#382 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:02 AM

Jeff Ermann reporting that the Big Ten’s “wish list” starts with Notre Dame, and also includes Oregon, Stanford, and North Carolina.
@BSLZackKiesel

#383 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:41 AM

Reading from several sources a few ACC schools have their attorneys at work finding out how airtight that grant-of-rights agreement is. Could come down to, as it always seems to, Notre Dame.

1. ND may have an easier time unwinding itself from the ACC GoR than the full members.

2. If ND does go full Big Ten it could weaken the ACC’s value enough to where the contract could more easily be broken by the others.

#384 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 11:02 AM

What I've read suggests the GoR hurts the ACC more than it helps... they're locked into much lower revenue sharing for a long-period of time.  So, even in ACC school left to join the SEC or Big Ten; and still had to pay whatever amounts to leave...  they'd still make more over the course of the remaining GoR years vs. staying. 

#385 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:24 PM

Josh Pate

“We’ll figure it out in court” was the quote given to me from an ACC school last week RE: grant of rights. They’ll be ready to move if the call comes from Big10/SEC.

#386 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:53 PM

CBS Sports: Big 12 in deep discussions to add up to six Pac-12 teams after USC, UCLA defections to Big Ten

https://www.cbssport...ons-to-big-ten/

#387 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:02 PM

They (SEC & Big Ten) are both going to get to at-least 24 imo. 

SEC at 16 with Texas and Oklahoma.  

Maybe Clemson, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Miami, Houston?

Big Ten at 16 with USC and UCLA. 

Maybe Duke, UNC, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, NCST, California, Stanford?

Then it's what happens with: 

Notre Dame, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia, UCF, Cincinnati, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon State, Utah, Washington State, Boston College, BYU

Maybe the Big Ten and SEC both get to 30?

The Big Ten should not be waiting for Notre Dame.   (Yes, I know they are the biggest prize... save a spot, whatever... I'm just saying don't wait on them before doing anything else.)

They should be trying to kill off the Pac 12, and ACC...  

By not immediately accepting Oregon, and Washington... they allowed the Big 12 and remaining Pac 12 teams to react.  

The Big Ten is clearly going to want more than 2 teams on the West Coast...  clearly not going to be content at 16 teams... so get moving...  once the Big Ten pulls Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal... the SEC will react by going after the most logical targets for them in the Big 12 and ACC.  

Then both the Big Ten and SEC can push on UNC (Big Ten makes more sense). 

If the Big Ten and SEC don't pull these moves now, then you have the potential for the Big 12 / Pac 12 to survive as a 3rd larger quality conference...  

• Greg Pappas likes this

#388 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:17 PM

John Canzano: Oregon Ducks make a wish list, while Pac-12 rallies behind the scenes

Seems there's some serious chess matches going on across the country.

As expected, Phil Knight is actively involved. Worth noting: While Knight is most closely associated with U of Oregon, he also earned a graduate degree from Stanford and has been one of that university's largest donors.

The Pac-12's survival may come down to how bad ESPN does not want to allow FOX to control the entire West Coast college football scene (or at leas the brand programs that people most care about).

#389 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:04 PM

NEW: Since USC and UCLA jumped to the Big Ten on Thursday, 10 schools have reached out to Commissioner Kevin Warren. No formal applications submitted, but it's clear the league will think long and hard about adding anyone else -- except Notre Dame

#390 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:13 AM

CBS Sports: ACC, Pac-12 discuss 'loose partnership' that could include 'championship game' in Las Vegas

https://www.cbssport...e-in-las-vegas/

#391 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:30 AM

https://anchor.fm/sp...ignment-e1kupae

The latest episode with Jim Johnson and Mike Lowe talking College Football realignment. 

#392 BSLZacKrull

BSLZacKrull

CBB Analyst

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:30 AM

BSL: USC & UCLA Are Heading to the Big Ten…. Now What?

https://baltimorespo...g-ten-now-what/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#393 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 05:55 PM

CBS Sports: Conference realignment: Phil Knight resorts to cold calling for Oregon as Pac-12, Big 12, ACC seek lifelines

https://www.cbssport...seek-lifelines/

#394 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:11 PM

It's troubling to see so many people hurt by what the Big Ten and SEC are doing. It's probably not good for college football, nor all other sports, but there is no one to reign them in. However, "it is what it is." Being a Maryland fan, I'd like to see the Big Ten become the best possible conference, even if that means adding another 4-8 schools. I think Chris mentioned it above, but I'd love to see them add more PAC schools, like Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal. And while it doesn't appear likely we'd be able to add ACC schools because of their Grant of Rights (GoR), it remains a possibility. UNC, Virginia, FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech all would have merit.

There's a decent chance that the SEC has been in touch with the ACC schools, so if the lawyers feel it'd be worth inviting 2-4 of them, I'd be very happy to see it. Naturally Notre Dame is being discussed ad nauseum, but I suspect they'll remain independent until forced to choose a conference. I'm not waiting on them.

#395 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:13 PM

Report out today the SEC is, "Happy at 16, doesn't see need to expand further."   

Somehow I doubt that. 

#396 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:38 PM

It will be really exciting when Maryland football is trying to be in the top 15 in a conference of 24!

• You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this

#397 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 05:50 PM

Let's say they added Notre Dame, UNC, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, NCST, California, Stanford. 

You would probably have 4 Divisions of 6: 

D1:
Maryland
UNC

UVA
Penn State
Rutgers
NCST

D2:
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Illinois 
Notre Dame

D3:

Iowa

Minnesota

Purdue
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

D4:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Cal

Stanford

It certainly wouldn't be any harder for MD. 

Big year for MD coming here in '22... need to build off of last year, and take advantage of Taulia being back with quality weapons... obviously won't be easy to improve given their schedule, and 4 Top 15 +/- teams in their division.... but just the way it is.  Continued incremental progression. 

#398 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:17 PM

And while it doesn't appear likely we'd be able to add ACC schools because of their Grant of Rights (GoR), it remains a possibility. UNC, Virginia, FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech all would have merit.

I think the Grant of Rights makes it easier to poach the ACC schools.  
They're locked into a rights deal for so long, which is valued so far below the Big Ten and SEC. 

Even if those schools have to pay large exit fees... the revenue difference is so large that if they left now, they'd be in the black by the time the Grant of Rights expired. 

#399 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:36 PM

Let's say they added Notre Dame, UNC, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, NCST, California, Stanford. 

You would probably have 4 Divisions of 6: 

D1:
Maryland
UNC

UVA
Penn State
Rutgers
NCST

D2:
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Illinois 
Notre Dame

D3:

Iowa

Minnesota

Purdue
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

D4:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Cal

Stanford

It certainly wouldn't be any harder for MD. 

Big year for MD coming here in '22... need to build off of last year, and take advantage of Taulia being back with quality weapons... obviously won't be easy to improve given their schedule, and 4 Top 15 +/- teams in their division.... but just the way it is.  Continued incremental progression. 

Only if they bump the number of conference games to 11 per season. At least then you'd play every school at least once every 3 years.

This is pretty much when you will have become the NFL-lite, (though without the mechanisms in place to ensure some level of parity). Don't really want to see that, as it leaves too many of the things I like about the sport at the curb. But I've come to accept it's probably inevitable someday.

#400 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:40 PM

Only if they bump the number of conference games to 11 per season. At least then you'd play every school at least once every 3 years.

This is pretty much when you will have become the NFL-lite, (though without the mechanisms in place to ensure some level of parity). Don't really want to see that, as it leaves too many of the things I like about the sport at the curb. But I've come to accept it's probably inevitable someday.

Would make me picking the weekly pick ‘em games easier!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=