599 replies to this topic

#241 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:00 PM

Don’t understand why the Big Ten would want OK State whatsoever.

Other than a knee-jerk response to the SEC’s move (we gotta do something!) it makes zero sense. But if history has taught us anything, it’s that about 90% of what gets reported in the Realignment Derby is either unfounded rumor or doesn’t end up happening.

#242 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

ESPN: Potential Texas, Oklahoma move to SEC - The hurdles, domino effects and what we know so far

https://www.espn.com...ffects-know-far

#243 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

ESPN: Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners tell Big 12 they will not renew grant of media rights

https://www.espn.com...nt-media-rights

#244 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:12 PM

CBS Sports: College football realignment fallout: What's next with Texas, Oklahoma stating intent to leave Big 12 for SEC

https://www.cbssport...big-12-for-sec/

#245 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

BSL: College Football - Like It Or Not, Realignment Is Back

#246 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:01 PM

From the Interesting But Not Surprising Dept.:

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Associated Press that he believes ESPN is incentivizing other conferences to pick at the carcass of the remaining Big 12, so it collapses to the point that Texas and Oklahoma can get out before 2025 without paying an exit fee. Bowlsby was certain enough it was happening that he sent ESPN a cease and desist letter, even though they are one of the Big 12's own broadcast partners.

https://twitter.com/...509280801787905

#247 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

CBS Sports: Big 12 believes American is attempting to grab eight remaining members with Texas, Oklahoma leaving for SEC

https://www.cbssport...eaving-for-sec/

#248 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:30 AM

From the Interesting But Not Surprising Dept.:

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Associated Press that he believes ESPN is incentivizing other conferences to pick at the carcass of the remaining Big 12, so it collapses to the point that Texas and Oklahoma can get out before 2025 without paying an exit fee. Bowlsby was certain enough it was happening that he sent ESPN a cease and desist letter, even though they are one of the Big 12's own broadcast partners.

https://twitter.com/...509280801787905

I don't remember hearing a conference official pitching a hissy fit quite like Bowlsby did here. I'm not saying what he said was inaccurate because it sure sounds like it is, but it hardly projects strength, hope, calm, or really anything else that his other member schools could find encouraging or think that there is actually a constructive plan forming.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#249 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

I don't remember hearing a conference official pitching a hissy fit quite like Bowlsby did here. I'm not saying what he said was inaccurate because it sure sounds like it is, but it hardly projects strength, hope, calm, or really anything else that his other member schools could find encouraging or think that there is actually a constructive plan forming.

It projects desperation and self-preservation. If the conference implodes, he's out of a job.

• BSLRoseKatz and JimJohnson like this

#250 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:06 PM

The NCAA will convene a "Constitutional Convention" in November. I assume powdered wigs and tricorner hats will be optional.

After being smacked down by the courts of late, I'd expect that this meeting will produce some form of acknowledgement that their days as a ruling monolith are over.

https://www.cbssport...on-in-november/

• BSLSteveBirrer and JimJohnson like this

#251 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

ESPN: Texas, Oklahoma..We answer the biggest questions

https://www.espn.com...ggest-questions

#252 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:46 PM

It might not be a powerhouse school, but I think Iowa State would be a decent add for the Big 10 now.  That would bring good rivalries with Iowa and Nebraska at least.  The question is who makes sense to be the 16th, since inevitably the other conferences are going to match the SEC.  Ideally the Kansas schools stay together, so West Virginia would be the best bet geographically.

#253 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:24 PM

It might not be a powerhouse school, but I think Iowa State would be a decent add for the Big 10 now. That would bring good rivalries with Iowa and Nebraska at least. The question is who makes sense to be the 16th, since inevitably the other conferences are going to match the SEC. Ideally the Kansas schools stay together, so West Virginia would be the best bet geographically.

I think there’s next to a zero chance the Big Ten ever considers West Virginia. I also don’t see what Iowa State brings to the table considering Iowa would have a cow about it.

#254 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:32 PM

Neither Iowa St nor WV will grow Big Ten revenue to the point where everyone’s piece of the pie is at least the same as now, if not larger.

Assuming ND, UNC and UVA are off the table due to their commitment to the ACC for the next 15 years; and schools like USC, Cal, Oregon and Washington don’t want to deal with the geographic issues, then no one out there makes sense for the Big Ten to add right now. They are better off exploring other ways to generate new revenues.

• Chris B likes this

#255 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:10 PM

SI: Report: Big 12, Pac 12 commissioners to discuss potential merger

As a follower and semi-fan of the Pac 12, not keen on that idea at all. The Pac 12 would be much better served to see if they can find ways to strengthen their existing partnership with the Big Ten, a far more stable and valuable conference than the Big 12.

#256 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 06:36 PM

SI: Report: Big 12, Pac 12 commissioners to discuss potential merger

As a follower and semi-fan of the Pac 12, not keen on that idea at all. The Pac 12 would be much better served to see if they can find ways to strengthen their existing partnership with the Big Ten, a far more stable and valuable conference than the Big 12.

West Virginia in the Pac 12?  Ehh.  Guess they'd be out. 

Let's say the Pac 12 adds Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech...  that gives them 19 schools....  who would be the most logical 20th?  

BYU? 
Boise State or one of the other Mountain West squads?

That conference would have a wide reach. 

#257 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:51 PM

Let's say the Pac 12 adds Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech...  that gives them 19 schools....  who would be the most logical 20th?  

BYU? 

What happens to the AAC here? Because I'd nominate Houston. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

she/her

#258 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:50 PM

BYU? 

The Pac 12 could have had BYU or BSU anytime they wanted. I don’t think either is suddenly more appealing just because Texas and Oklahoma are headed to the SEC. And I honestly don’t think the Big 12 remnants do either. But for the sake of discussion, if the Pac 12 wanted to absorb all of them save WV, I think Jordan raises a decent possibility in Houston for #20.

For the hell of it, I’ll throw out one more that probably might not make sense on the surface because their football program has not been good of late….UNLV. The conference already has a significant presence in Vegas in the men’s and women’s hoops tournaments, and starting this year the championship football game. There’s talk of relocating the conference HQ there from uber-expensive San Francisco. It’s a growing market and a destination city, that recently added two pro teams, and looks poised to add a third. And it expands the footprint while making geographic sense.

#259 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball could stand to benefit from latest round of conference realignment driven by football
https://www.cbssport...en-by-football/

#260 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

BSL: College Football Conference Expansion - A B1G Perspective

Should the Big Ten expand in response to the SEC's recent expansion announcement?

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=