• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

But yes, I think the Big 12 could definitely nab both Florida schools. I like that idea a lot.

if they focus on schools that are named for just portions of a state instead of the whole state, they're keeping their status down long-term...  when was the last time a portion-of-the-state school actually had any sustained status?

University of Southern California
University of California-Los Angeles

Most states are too small to even have directional schools. (A lot come from California, Texas, Florida, etc.)

Adding the Florida television markets could be a boon for the Big 12. I still think Cincinnati and BYU (or the rumored Houston) are better choices though.

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Good answers... (no kidding...)

And those schools attained their status how many generations ago?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Most states are too small to even have directional schools. 

Nah, tons of states have them...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

Good answers... (no kidding...)

And those schools attained their status how many generations ago?

You asked for a response, I gave you an answer.

UCF has the largest student body in the country I believe. It is in Orlando and is improving its athletic profile.

USF is definitely behind them by also in a recruiting hotbed in a major media market (Tampa).

Both are great fits for the AAC. Both could eventually garner more appeal given the right conference match.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

You asked for a response, I gave you an answer.

UCF has the largest student body in the country I believe. It is in Orlando and is improving its athletic profile.

USF is definitely behind them by also in a recruiting hotbed in a major media market (Tampa).

Both are great fits for the AAC. Both could eventually garner more appeal given the right conference match.

Both schools play in the shadow of U of Fla (and FSU/Miami to a lesser degree), even in their home markets. That normally wouldn't be an issue for a major conference because the appeal is getting your conference network on the basic Pay TV package of every home in the heavily populated state (or at least in the market). But the Big 12 has a different business model where teams get to sell their own 3rd-tier rights. That does decrease the appeal of UCF/USF somewhat. But really there's just no other candidate out there that's much better right now in terms of garnering traditional means of revenue via the conference-wide TV deals, except maybe BYU, but they come with their own set of issues (no Sunday games). I do think you have a point though....UCF/USF will become more interesting among their constituents simply by playing Texas and Oklahoma on an annual basis instead of UConn and Memphis.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

CBS Sports: Notre Dame has lost independent luster, should join conference soon

http://www.cbssports...conference-soon

#47 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

I recently read an interesting article by Chip Brown, the Scout/HornsDigest writer that covers the University of Texas. Brown is the same fellow that reported back in 2010 that the Longhorns, along with Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado were breaking away from the Big 12 and headed west to the PAC 12. In his post from July 7th, 2015, he feels that at some point in the next ten years (likely around 2024) the Power Five conferences may collectively negotiate a TV deal.

...let’s talk about what is likely to be the next big move in realignment:

The Power Five conferences – all 65 teams (if you include Notre Dame) - collectively bargaining one TV contract, instead of each negotiating a TV deal, sometime in the next 10 years. After discussions with several people connected to P5 schools, this scenario could become more plausible as we get closer to 2024.

That’s when the major TV contracts in the SEC and Pac-12 expire, and it’s a year before the TV deals of the Big 12, Notre Dame and the College Football Playoff expire. And three years before the ACC’s TV deal with ESPN expires.
Only the Big Ten, which has TV rights through 2016-17 that are about to be renegotiated, is on a vastly different timeline. But the Big Ten would be wise to include a “look-in window” giving the league an “out” option around 2024.

He later adds BYU to the deal and breaks down the new, regionally-aligned divisions as such (my own adjusted version follows below his):

ConfExpansion_zpsenfsyowp.png

While I disagreed with many of his choices for which teams would wind up in which divisions, I liked the idea as a whole. Read the article linked above to learn more of why he likes this concept. 

I can see plenty of issues with it, though many new ideas have holes and there are no perfect solutions. I'm posting this here to open a discussion about its plausibility and to re-ignite the subject as a whole. It fascinates me, for some reason, and I'm happy to know I'm not the only one.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

If the playoff goes to 8 teams, it will encourage movement towards more, smaller conferences.... unless schools are locked into the kind of deal prophesized above.... in which case it will encourage an upgrading of mid-majors to "power" status..

#49 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

FWIW, I'm still fully supportive of a Power Four alignment. I never liked odd numbers. LOL!

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Really tough to say what the next round of TV contracts will look like now. The whole TV industry is changing, and how we watch the games. I guess all of the Power 5 schools could pool their product and score one huge TV deal. But I don't think they will then split up into all new divisions. They'll keep the existing conferences, with perhaps a little shifting here and there.

#51 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

Really tough to say what the next round of TV contracts will look like now. The whole TV industry is changing, and how we watch the games. I guess all of the Power 5 schools could pool their product and score one huge TV deal. 

Well, whatever happens with TV money, that will drive the landscape of conferences.... by now, there's a pretty robust history of that happening...

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

But I don't think they will then split up into all new divisions. They'll keep the existing conferences, with perhaps a little shifting here and there.

Yeah, this is  like when people come up with Master Schemes for massive MLB realignment.... it's fantasy stuff....

#53 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

Really tough to say what the next round of TV contracts will look like now. The whole TV industry is changing, and how we watch the games. I guess all of the Power 5 schools could pool their product and score one huge TV deal. But I don't think they will then split up into all new divisions. They'll keep the existing conferences, with perhaps a little shifting here and there.

Yeah, that's more likely. I still think the Big 12 will break apart at some point, with the previously rumored shift of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Ok State to the PAC 12 one possibility. 

#54 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, that's more likely. I still think the Big 12 will break apart at some point, with the previously rumored shift of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Ok State to the PAC 12 one possibility. 

But that would make it harder for them to get into the playoffs....

#55 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

But that would make it harder for them to get into the playoffs....

Well, there are five power conferences now and only 4 spots. The Big 12 missed in year one and was successful this year. The PAC 12 is arguably the weakest conference as of now, so if the B12 breaks up, that is an option. Again, it's all speculation... there are no perfect ways of changing things.

#56 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Just read this Pete Thamel piece about the Big 12: http://www.campusrus...1528668401.html

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

ESPN.com: Rule change allows Big 12 title game

While they haven't decided whether or not to play one yet, this pretty much puts the kibosh on any foreseeable conference expansion.

#58 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

If the playoff goes to 8 teams, it will encourage movement towards more, smaller conferences.... unless schools are locked into the kind of deal prophesized above.... in which case it will encourage an upgrading of mid-majors to "power" status..

Actually they will stay large.  Inn fact they will go to 16 teams.  When that happens a conf can elect to leave the NCAA.  I see at least 5 major 16 team conferences.  Then they can make their own tournies and keep all the money.  They don't need to share money to small schools.  Also they can be rid of the NCAA rules bodies.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

LGHL: Wait. So could Oklahoma really eventually join the Big Ten?

http://www.landgrant...homa-ohio-state

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

LGHL: Wait. So could Oklahoma really eventually join the Big Ten?

http://www.landgrant...homa-ohio-state

So a 16-team Big Ten that includes Oklahoma and Kansas? I think Jim Deleny is somewhere right now reading that and touching himself.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=