26 replies to this topic

#1 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

According to Jim Bowden of ESPN the Astros will take Appel first overall.

http://www.mlbtrader...lect-appel.html

I would say take it with a grain of salt as Bowden isn't exactly the most reliable in my opinion.
@JeffLongBP

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hopefully Buxton folks to us.

#3 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

I remember you having concerns with the O's taking toolsy guys with the first pick because of their inability to develop them. What's different here?

#4 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I remember you having concerns with the O's taking toolsy guys with the first pick because of their inability to develop them. What's different here?

New regime? Improved focus on player development? Recent success (so far) with Bundy, Machado, Schoop, etc.
@JeffLongBP

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

New regime? Improved focus on player development? Recent success (so far) with Bundy, Machado, Schoop, etc.

There's your answer waroriole. At least there is a real plan in place.

Btw, I just reAd that the Orioles are down to Correa, Gausmann, Zimmer and Fried...haven't heard a lot bout Fried.

#6 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

There's your answer waroriole. At least there is a real plan in place.

Btw, I just reAd that the Orioles are down to Corre, Gausmann, Zimmer and Fried...haven't heard a lot bout Fried.

I LOVE Fried. Tall lefty - 6'4" 190 lbs. Throws mid 90s with good secondary stuff. He was the 2 to Harvard-Westlake's 1-2 punch (the 1 was Giolito). Top lefty in the draft, and shows flashes of David Price IMO.

Here's ESPN's info on him: http://espn.go.com/h...45361/max-fried
@JeffLongBP

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think that's a stretch on Fried. I've read low 90's. Maybe he's touched mid 90's but I also read that his velocity dipped as the season wore on. Too much projection involved for me. No thanks.

#8 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think that's a stretch on Fried. I've read low 90's. Maybe he's touched mid 90's but I also read that his velocity dipped as the season wore on. Too much projection involved for me. No thanks.

On May 8th Klaw ranked Fried 5th in the draft, adding:

Analysis: Scouts love this guy -- more than one national guy has told me he'd consider Fried at No. 1 overall. Highly projectable, athletic lefty who can really spin a breaking ball.

He's 8-2 with a 2.02 ERA, 105 Ks in 66 IP

There's this too: He has the projection left to add a grade of velocity, and with more consistency you can see a No. 2 starter with three above-average to plus pitches. - ESPN
@JeffLongBP

#9 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

All fine and good on Fried and he may turn out great IF he stays healthy and IF he adds more velo. Here's why I wouldn't take Fried. Zimmer throws mid 90's, spins a hammer curveball, is also very athletic, and already has a more physical body. So why take the HS guy with projection when you can have a more sure thing that does what you are projecting the HS to do? At least, that's the way I see it.

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

On May 8th Klaw ranked Fried 5th in the draft, adding:

Analysis: Scouts love this guy -- more than one national guy has told me he'd consider Fried at No. 1 overall. Highly projectable, athletic lefty who can really spin a breaking ball.

He's 8-2 with a 2.02 ERA, 105 Ks in 66 IP

There's this too: He has the projection left to add a grade of velocity, and with more consistency you can see a No. 2 starter with three above-average to plus pitches. - ESPN

In HS, those numbers aren't really that spectacular. Good, yes, but Giolito is a good bit better than he is.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

In HS, those numbers aren't really that spectacular. Good, yes, but Giolito is a good bit better than he is.

Oh yeah, I'm aware. He actually pitched much better as a Junior, not sure of the competition compared to this year (he trasnferred for his senior season).

I'm still holding out hope that they are using Fried as cover to be scouting Giolito & keeping tabs on his progress.
@JeffLongBP

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Oh yeah, I'm aware. He actually pitched much better as a Junior, not sure of the competition compared to this year (he trasnferred for his senior season).

I'm still holding out hope that they are using Fried as cover to be scouting Giolito & keeping tabs on his progress.

Yeah I think I've given up on that one unfortunately. I think he's going to go in the teens, but not sign and go to UCLA.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

I wonder if this means they aren't interested in Buxton or do they assume he will be gone?

#14 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I wonder if this means they aren't interested in Buxton or do they assume he will be gone?

My interpretation was - they assume the top 3 will be: Appel, Buxton, Zunino. Therefore Correa, Fried, Gausman, Zimmer are the 4 in play at #4. I assume if the top 3 changes, they would change their focus?!?!
@JeffLongBP

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Oh no, they are interested in Buxton. Big time.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Ok good. Any chance he falls?

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

We'll see about that. My gut is telling me the O's would probably pass on Buxton for Gausman, Zimmer, or Correa. Granted, I'm just going on gut while you probably have reliable sources.

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

We'll see about that. My gut is telling me the O's would probably pass on Buxton for Gausman, Zimmer, or Correa. Granted, I'm just going on gut while you probably have reliable sources.

;) Yeah it's a little more than gut on this one. Not that I really believe ANYTHING until 6pm tomorrow.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Ok good. Any chance he falls?

Not a very big one. I hear MIN is pretty high on him too, but there is a little chance he could slip through. He's the one messing up everyone at the top, cause he could go 1,2,3, or 4 easily.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

;) Yeah it's a little more than gut on this one. Not that I really believe ANYTHING until 6pm tomorrow.

I highly doubt Buxton falls to us at 4 (90% sure he goes at 2, if not I can't imagine the Mariners NOT taking him).

I think we win if we get any of: Buxton, Correa, Giolito, Gausman

I'd be less happy, but still ok with: Zimmer, Zunino, Fried
@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=