• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelWillis

MichaelWillis
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

http://baltimorespor...fe.com/?p=19353

Terps may not win this one, but a good loss when undermanned is a resume booster.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mrwillis88

@terpstationmd

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

The Terps did handle ISU pretty good on a night when Dez went 5/20 from the field... he was pretty poor. That said, his floor presence will still be a huge loss, regardless, especially with a young team. It'll be tough tonight, but they can do it with some big performances by the other guys.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

The Terps did handle ISU pretty good on a night when Dez went 5/20 from the field... he was pretty poor. That said, his floor presence will still be a huge loss, regardless, especially with a young team. It'll be tough tonight, but they can do it with some big performances by the other guys.

I think it starts with Trimble. If hes on, shooting, and not turning the ball over, they have a good shot at making this a game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

Team turnovers will be important tonight.  Terps need to be in the 7-8 range to have a shot.  Can't turn it over 15 times and win this game.  Shots aren't going to fall like they do against other competition because of the stiff defense, so you can't afford turning it over and not even getting an attempt.

I think we'll need to shoot really well from beyond the arc as well.  We can penetrate or slash and get to the line a bit (less so with Dez out), but I think a large portion of our scoring will need to be from deep tonight.  That doesn't mean we hoist up bad threes, we just need to make whatever decent looks we are able to get.

I really wish we had Dez tonight.  Super excited for the game, I expect Comcast to be rocking.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

Student tickets are officially sold out. I'll be lining up around 6:45, doors open at 7:45. Going to be a fun night.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

Student tickets are officially sold out. I'll be lining up around 6:45, doors open at 7:45. Going to be a fun night.

Do they still do the entrance groups spaced 10 minutes apart or is it just a free for all?  And doors are only 1:30 before tipoff?  Used to be 2 hours.

#7 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Chris, I was hoping to get this in a post for tonight but time is running out for me and Mike and I have a show for tonight. Here's the short version.

Virginia will present some interesting problems for the Teps tonight.

Offensively the Cavs will be as deliberate a team as you'll see, Some may call them efficient while others will use the term boring. Tony uses mant of the same principles that his father Dick used during his career, especially the "Blocker-Mover" offense.

http://www.coachescl...verOffense.html

The link gives you the basics with charts and a few sets that we should see tonight. It's predicated on the reality that not all players are natural scorers and ball-handlers, and that the team wants to get shots for their best shooters/scorers. It's a system that works well for those with limited personnel. It is still a motion style and can be unpredictable if you have smart players who work their roles and read the defense. Defenders often get tired calling out and fighting through screens the entire game.

Players are either Blockers: smart team players who embrace their primary responsibility of setting good, solid screens for movers or Movers: primarily scorers who use those screens. Blockers aren't just screeners in this offense though as they can post up or slip to the goal if left alone by their defender.

Defensively this is one of the best in the nation. The Cavaliers hold opponents to 43.6 points per game and 30.1 percent shooting, which rank among the best in the country. Again, Tony has borrowed from papa Dick his "Pack Line" MtM defense.

http://www.coachescl...ineDefense.html

Essentially this is a sagging man to help on penetration. Instead of ball denial you should see defenders in the lanes to help protect the paint and be in better rebounding position. This is key for a team that can't match up with more athletic teams 5 on 5.

This should be a very interesting contest as you have the ACC intrigue of the Terps leaving, a rival in UVA and two teams ranked in the top 25. Even without Dez Wells, the Terps have more firepower and better shooting depth. They can win this game if they shoot well from the perimeter and can get a few easy buckets on transition which won't be easy.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

Do they still do the entrance groups spaced 10 minutes apart or is it just a free for all?  And doors are only 1:30 before tipoff?  Used to be 2 hours.

Free for all. Been pretty civilized for the two line-up games I've been here for (can't say the same for the Kevin Hart show last month). Yes, doors are 1:30 before tip.

@BSLZackKiesel

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

This will be the game thread....  tip moved to 9:20... not available on ESPN3, is available on WatchESPN. On ESPN2 when this MSU / ND game ends.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

ESPNNews until it flips over...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Trimble, Pack, Layman, Graham, and Dodd.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Graham with a board...

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Pack with a shot as the shot clock winds down... misses..

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Graham with a block, Layman with a save... Melo with a turnover... 2-0 UVA.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

Layman misses a quick 3... leads to a fastbreak... 4-0.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

Trimble misses, Layman misses the follow.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

Graham fouled... MD inbounds underneath...

Melo with MD's first basket, 4 minutes plus into the game.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

Dodd with some defensive presence underneath, and a board...

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Melo misses...  Dodd with a foul.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

UVA hits 1 of 2 at the line...  Cekovsky and Wiley in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=