#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

After a big road win over Michigan, the Terps head home for their final regular season game on Saturday afternoon in College Park. It'll be Senior Day at Byrd Stadium, with starting QB C.J. Brown among those being recognized on the field before the game.

Key Seniors Departing:

QB C.J. Brown

WR Deon Long

OL Silvano Altamirano

OL Sal Conaboy

OL Jake Wheeler

DL Keith Bowers

DL Darius Kilgo

DL Andre Monroe

LB Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil

LB Cole Farrand

LB L.A. Goree

LB Matt Robinson

DB Jeremiah Johnson

Rutgers Scarlet Knights:

220.5 passing yards per game (73rd in country)

148.2 rushing yards per game (88th in country)

24.2 points scored per game (96th in country)

30.3 points allowed per game (92nd in country)

Maryland Terrapins:

223.9 passing yards per game (68th in country)

116.7 rushing yards per game (113th in country)

28.3 points scored per game (71st in country)

27.8 points allowed per game (76th in country)

The Scarlet Knights have lost 4 of their last 5 games, with the only win coming over Indiana two weeks ago. None of the teams that they have beaten currently have winning records, while two of the teams that Maryland has beaten currently have winning records (Iowa and Penn State).

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football opens as big favorite for regular season finale against Rutgers

http://www.testudoti...ks-betting-2014

The Maryland football team has opened as a heavy favorite for its regular season finale against Rutgers on Saturday at Byrd Stadium, according to odds released Sunday by Vegas Insider.

The Terps (7-4, 4-3 Big Ten) opened as a nine-point favorite.

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

May as well start the discussion....I'm pretty sure Ralph calls plays from the booth, so his visibility is likely to be low (you sure couldn't miss him if he was on the sideline). My guess is neither side will make any noise over his return, despite the best efforts of the media.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

May as well start the discussion....I'm pretty sure Ralph calls plays from the booth, so his visibility is likely to be low (you sure couldn't miss him if he was on the sideline). My guess is neither side will make any noise over his return, despite the best efforts of the media.

Yes, Ralph calls all of his plays from the booth. If this game was happening in 2011, it'd be a whole lot different in my opinion. He's not the story. Terps have a good chance at their first 8+-win season since 2010. That's the story.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yes, Ralph calls all of his plays from the booth. If this game was happening in 2011, it'd be a whole lot different in my opinion. He's not the story. Terps have a good chance at their first 8+-win season since 2010. That's the story.

As far as the media is concerned, Ralph will be the story. Beating the likes of Rutgers for an 8-4 season won't draw viewers or sell papers. This is a chance for them to stir up the controversy over his dismissal, the covert war of words between him and Edsall, and whether or not the program is better off today than it was in 2010. That's what sells.

I doubt Ralph has any desire to be the center of attention this week, so as much as he lacks a filter for his mouth, I think he will hold back as much as he can. And as Chris suggests, I think everyone with UM will take the high road too. I'll bet they already have that PR firm they hired a while back coaching Edsall on what to say, and what not to say
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Is there a way for Fridge to beat Edsall but Maryland to beat Rutgers? Because thats what I want.
  • DJ MC likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Is there a way for Fridge to beat Edsall but Maryland to beat Rutgers? Because thats what I want.

Put the two of them in the octagon on the 50 yard line for the halftime show.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

Put the two of them in the octagon on the 50 yard line for the halftime show.

Sumo.

@DJ_McCann

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

Sumo.

Let's at least make it a fair fight that will take more than 3 seconds.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

Let's at least make it a fair fight that will take more than 3 seconds.

Edsall's a big guy :P

@DJ_McCann

#11 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

Just will never understand why people think Randy is a horse's rear but Ralph is a great guy.  I mean certainly some other people agree with you.  I just don't get it.

• 1970 likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Just will never understand why people think Randy is a horse's rear but Ralph is a great guy.  I mean certainly some other people agree with you.  I just don't get it.

Fridge certainly had some asshole tendencies.  I've heard from people who would know that he was very standoffish when it came to helping out other programs.  Like he would often refuse to help out the soccer coaches or whomever with recruiting, I imagine the football coach sticking his head in on a volleyball or swimming recruiting trip might seem useless, but it could make a big difference (on the other hand, I heard that Gary was great in this regard).

My dislike of Edsall has nothing to do with how Fridge being fired was handled.  I was fine with that decision though I do think Anderson handled it terribly.  It's completely independent of that, tough, and is solely based on Randy being a complete horse's ass when he first got here, going out of his way to crap all over everyone that came before him and the job Fridge did, which was far better than the job Edsall has done even if it peaked early.  I don't think I've ever seen a head coach of any sport pass the buck as much as Randy did, everything was an excuse to deflect blame and accountability away from him and onto his players or his predecessor.

I hope the team plays great and has a ton of success, but I'll never like Edsall even if he's leading that charge.  I am able to separate the two, though, so I don't enjoy the program's successes any less even while disliking Edsall.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

UMTerps: Craddock Tabbed Lou Groza Finalist

http://www.umterps.c...TCLID=209782328

University of Maryland place-kicker Brad Craddock has been selected as a finalist for the 23rd Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award, the Palm Beach County Sports Commission announced Tuesday.

Craddock, Maryland’s first-ever Groza finalist, is one of three student-athletes vying for the honor. The junior is joined by Florida State’s Roberto Aguayo, who won the award in 2013, and West Virginia’s Josh Lambert.

This season, Craddock has converted all 17 of his field goals attempts and has converted 23 straight dating back to last season, which is the longest active streak in FBS. Craddock is the only FBS kicker that is perfect this season with 10 of his successful tries coming from 40-plus yards.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

A few changes to this week's depth chart:

• Malcolm Culmer is now Deon Long's backup at SE.
  • Stefon Diggs is no longer listed as the starting SL receiver.
  • Jacquille Veii is listed as the starting SL receiver, backed up by Daniel Adams.
  • Jake Wheeler is now listed as the starting LT, backed up by Derwin Gray.
  • Michael Dunn is now listed as the starting RT, backed up by Ryan Doyle.
  • Christian Carpenter is now the starting LS, switching spots with Nate Adams.
  • Deon Long takes Stefon Diggs' place as the backup KR behind William Likely.

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

After a big road win over Michigan, the Terps head home for their final regular season game on Saturday afternoon in College Park. It'll be Senior Day at Byrd Stadium, with starting QB C.J. Brown among those being recognized on the field before the game.

Key Seniors Departing:

QB C.J. Brown

WR Deon Long

OL Silvano Altamirano

OL Sal Conaboy

OL Jake Wheeler

DL Keith Bowers

DL Darius Kilgo

DL Andre Monroe

LB Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil

LB Cole Farrand

LB L.A. Goree

LB Matt Robinson

DB Jeremiah Johnson

Rutgers Scarlet Knights:

220.5 passing yards per game (73rd in country)

148.2 rushing yards per game (88th in country)

24.2 points scored per game (96th in country)

30.3 points allowed per game (92nd in country)

Maryland Terrapins:

223.9 passing yards per game (68th in country)

116.7 rushing yards per game (113th in country)

28.3 points scored per game (71st in country)

27.8 points allowed per game (76th in country)

The Scarlet Knights have lost 4 of their last 5 games, with the only win coming over Indiana two weeks ago. None of the teams that they have beaten currently have winning records, while two of the teams that Maryland has beaten currently have winning records (Iowa and Penn State).

This post had me reeling a bit... I hadn't realized we were taking that big of a hit in the Front Seven on Defense. There must be  some serious stepping up to make next year another bowl-bound one. Appreciate the info.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:25 AM

A few thoughts about Rutgers' offense:

Ralph Friedgen runs a pro-style offense with the Scarlet Knights, and it's fairly similar to the ones he ran at Maryland for many years. He's very focused on having a balanced attack, and Rutgers boasts a nearly 50/50 run/pass split. QB Gary Nova takes a good number of snaps from under center, but Friedgen likes to spread the field with 3-4 receivers. They'll operate out of 11 personnel most of the time, but will add a fullback when he wants to be physical with his rushing attack. He likes to keep balance within his formations, and makes sure the defense can't predict play-calls depending on the formation that his offense is in.

Gary Nova is Friedgen's starting quarterback, and Ralph has done good work with him this season. Nova is completing about 57% of his passes so far this year, and has thrown for over 2,300 yards. He's thrown 16 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. He's only taken 17 sacks, a solid number through this point in the season. Leonte Caroo is his favorite target by far, as he has caught 47 passes for nearly 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns this season. The 6-1 junior receiver has had 5 games where he has amassed over 100 yards this season, and caught 3 touchdown passes in one game against Tulane.

Ralph likes to spread the rock between his running backs, and the Scarlet Knights have 4 backs that they will rotate in their backfield. Desmon Peoples is the #1 back, and has run for over 440 yards and 3 TDs this season. Paul James is the #2 back, and leads the team in rushing TDs with 5. He has also added 2 TDs on the receiving end. Robert Martin is a promising freshman back, who is 4th on the team in carries, but 2nd on the team in rushing TDs with 4. Gary Nova is not a threat to run at the quarterback position.

Kyle Federico has struggled as Rutgers' kicker, making only 71% of his kicks this season. His longest field goal on the year is 45 yards, and he is 5/8 from over 40. He has also missed one extra point.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

Dammit, they can't even get through the opening without trying to shoehorn a rivalry into this game :lol:

@DJ_McCann

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Llikely with a good return to start things off.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Wes Brown with a 1st on the draw.   

Lots of empty seats in the lower bowl.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators