Photo

The Ringer: The Chiefs Look Ready to Three-peat—and the Ravens Look a Toe Out of Sorts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,563 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 10:17 AM

The Ringer: The Chiefs Look Ready to Three-peat—and the Ravens Look a Toe Out of Sorts

https://www.theringe...kson-three-peat

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:25 AM

The Ravens hung with KC all night, came within literally half an inch of possibly tying or winning the game, yet KC is destined for another SB title and we're all out of sorts?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 02:50 PM

I totally disagree with the article title. KC played well enough to win, but they didn't look like world beaters imo. 

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:10 PM

I think KC has a very legit chance of threepeating, unless they suffer major injuries.  They looked much less than perfect last night, and still put up 27 points on the Ravens and held them off at the end.  And when they get Hollywood Brown back their passing game with Rice, Worthy, Brown and Kelce will be tough to handle.  The Ravens had a tough time without Brown even in there.  Their so called great secondary gave up huge chunks of yardage in the passing game.  

The Ravens didn't look out of sorts, they were very much in sorts.  They were back to a Lamar needs to do everything team.  Their running game was all about Lamar.  122 yards rushing.  Their backs had 49.  Wow, that's what Derrick Henry was brought here to do?  Gus Edwards could have done that.  No, I'm not comparing the two, but when you have an OC that seems to be as dense as Todd Monken is you have to wonder what the identity of this team is.  I get that you can't just run Henry into an offensive line that was horrible last night, but only 13 carries for the guy you coveted?  

It's a long season, but last night many things from years past were on display.  Harbaugh lets the clock run down in the first half so that when the Ravens eventually end up with a 1st and goal at the KC 6, there are only 13 seconds left.  So you can't even use Henry in that situation.  Then in the 2nd half, he burns 2 timeouts early in the 3rd quarter.  So now late in the game, they can't stop the clock.  Maybe he needs someone to write a Football Clock Management for Dummies book!  

I don't know, what I saw last night seemed like a continuation of about the last 10 years.  A lot of talent, a lot of promise, and a lot of mistakes.  

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,665 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:43 PM

What I find so cute is everyone seems to be bitching about the run game and or having "no identity". You know who was a legit run game genius and at least made the Ravens have an identity. Yeah, thats right, the last OC that was here and everyone threw a parade when he finally left. Now, I was fine with letting him go but you cant have it both ways. Im not talking to anyone specifically but there isnt such a thing as a perfect OC. I used to think a manager in baseball was the easily the most 2nd guessed coach in pro sports. I think NFL coordinators have past them

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,678 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:50 PM

I mean I hear ya RE the hypocrisy, but this offense clearly has considerably more upside under Monken than it did under Roman IMO.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,665 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:55 PM

I mean I hear ya RE the hypocrisy, but this offense clearly has considerably more upside under Monken than it did under Roman IMO.

I think there is a bit of a trade off. I think you are right in theory. I think the passing game has more potential. But there are two caveats to that. First, the criticism about Monken's offense still not really having an identity has some validity. The second is Lamar has to become a better passer down the field. Monken can have a great intermediate to deep passing schemes and it wont matter if Lamar cant deliver accurately enough.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,678 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:56 PM

I think there is a bit of a trade off. I think you are right in theory. I think the passing game has more potential. But there are two caveats to that. First, the criticism about Monken's offense still not really having an identity has some validity. The second is Lamar has to become a better passer down the field. Monken can have q very good intermediate to deep passing schems and it wont matter if Lamar cant deliver accurately enough.

I think that’s fair. While it’s far from perfect, I still think on the whole this is a somewhat significantly improved offense.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 01:14 AM

I think KC has a very legit chance of threepeating, unless they suffer major injuries. They looked much less than perfect last night, and still put up 27 points on the Ravens and held them off at the end. And when they get Hollywood Brown back their passing game with Rice, Worthy, Brown and Kelce will be tough to handle. The Ravens had a tough time without Brown even in there. Their so called great secondary gave up huge chunks of yardage in the passing game.

The Ravens didn't look out of sorts, they were very much in sorts. They were back to a Lamar needs to do everything team. Their running game was all about Lamar. 122 yards rushing. Their backs had 49. Wow, that's what Derrick Henry was brought here to do? Gus Edwards could have done that. No, I'm not comparing the two, but when you have an OC that seems to be as dense as Todd Monken is you have to wonder what the identity of this team is. I get that you can't just run Henry into an offensive line that was horrible last night, but only 13 carries for the guy you coveted?

It's a long season, but last night many things from years past were on display. Harbaugh lets the clock run down in the first half so that when the Ravens eventually end up with a 1st and goal at the KC 6, there are only 13 seconds left. So you can't even use Henry in that situation. Then in the 2nd half, he burns 2 timeouts early in the 3rd quarter. So now late in the game, they can't stop the clock. Maybe he needs someone to write a Football Clock Management for Dummies book!

I don't know, what I saw last night seemed like a continuation of about the last 10 years. A lot of talent, a lot of promise, and a lot of mistakes.

LITERALLY THIS. EVERYTHING THIS MAN SAID.

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 11:33 AM

While it’s far from perfect, I still think on the whole this is a somewhat significantly improved offense.

I agree. I don't care much about the identity thing, I think that matters to fans more than it does on the field. But anyway we were still first in rushing yards and attempts last year, the identity wasn't terribly different, and we shouldn't pretend that Roman didn't also forget he had running backs in the playoffs. The way that things sometimes get panicky in the playoffs and big games feels like a HC issue as it's spanning multiple coordinators, but I obviously don't know what Harbs does during the game. And the QB is going to get a lot of rushes as long as he's the top weapon on the team, hopefully it will go down a bit just to keep him fresh all year.

Anyway, I'm somewhat indifferent to Monken but the upside is definitely higher and it was time for Roman to go. He certainly had more faults than simply doesn't pass enough or whatever, and from comments it felt like he had lost the players.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted Today, 10:30 AM

I agree. I don't care much about the identity thing, I think that matters to fans more than it does on the field. But anyway we were still first in rushing yards and attempts last year, the identity wasn't terribly different, and we shouldn't pretend that Roman didn't also forget he had running backs in the playoffs. The way that things sometimes get panicky in the playoffs and big games feels like a HC issue as it's spanning multiple coordinators, but I obviously don't know what Harbs does during the game. And the QB is going to get a lot of rushes as long as he's the top weapon on the team, hopefully it will go down a bit just to keep him fresh all year.

Anyway, I'm somewhat indifferent to Monken but the upside is definitely higher and it was time for Roman to go. He certainly had more faults than simply doesn't pass enough or whatever, and from comments it felt like he had lost the players.

Yup. One common denominator. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=