Photo

PFN: 2024 NFL Season Predictions: Lamar Jackson, Derrick Henry, and Baltimore Ravens Earn Top Spot in AFC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,563 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 09:04 AM

PFN2024 NFL Season Predictions: Lamar Jackson, Derrick Henry, and Baltimore Ravens Earn Top Spot in AFC

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 08:03 PM

That is a really, really optimistic outlook.   14-3?  Pretty much every star would need to align for that to happen.  There are a number of factors why this year's Ravens are not as good as the team that finished last year at 14-3.  Still a playoff team, and still could run the table in the playoffs, but a #1 seed at 14-3 is quite a stretch.

- The offensive line is a major question mark, plus they lost a coach who was a big factor in developing it.  Even if it does come together, it may take a while to jell.

- The WR group is still only average.  Flowers is the best of what they have.  If Bateman took the next step and became a solid productive #2 that would go a long way, but that's far from a given.  

- They have a DC that is assuming that duty for the first time ever at any level.  The D still has playmakers and will still be an aggressive Ravens D, but they will miss McDonald's ability to make adjustments the way he did in the AFCC.  

- They lost some other playmakers on D as well, including Geno Stone who was 2nd in the NFL in interceptions, and Jadaveon Clowney who had 10.5 sacks last year.  

- While the D will still be good, it is unrealistic to expect them to finish 1st in sacks, takeaways, and points scored like they did last year.  That was something never before done by a defense in the NFL.

- The schedule is much tougher this year.  The 6 games against the North will obviously be tough as always.  At least 6 of the last 11 are tough games on paper.  And 4 of the first 5 are tough. 

Personally I think the Ravens will be in a dog fight with Cincinnati for the division.  They could very well be a WC team.  14-3 just doesn't look realistic.   

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 08:18 PM

That is a really, really optimistic outlook. 14-3? Pretty much every star would need to align for that to happen. There are a number of factors why this year's Ravens are not as good as the team that finished last year at 14-3. Still a playoff team, and still could run the table in the playoffs, but a #1 seed at 14-3 is quite a stretch.

- The offensive line is a major question mark, plus they lost a coach who was a big factor in developing it. Even if it does come together, it may take a while to jell.
- The WR group is still only average. Flowers is the best of what they have. If Bateman took the next step and became a solid productive #2 that would go a long way, but that's far from a given.
- They have a DC that is assuming that duty for the first time ever at any level. The D still has playmakers and will still be an aggressive Ravens D, but they will miss McDonald's ability to make adjustments the way he did in the AFCC.
- They lost some other playmakers on D as well, including Geno Stone who was 2nd in the NFL in interceptions, and Jadaveon Clowney who had 10.5 sacks last year.
- While the D will still be good, it is unrealistic to expect them to finish 1st in sacks, takeaways, and points scored like they did last year. That was something never before done by a defense in the NFL.
- The schedule is much tougher this year. The 6 games against the North will obviously be tough as always. At least 6 of the last 11 are tough games on paper. And 4 of the first 5 are tough.

Personally I think the Ravens will be in a dog fight with Cincinnati for the division. They could very well be a WC team. 14-3 just doesn't look realistic.

Only part I don't really agree with are the comments on Bateman. Never has been a talent issue. When he's on the field, he's one of the better separators in the NFL, which is one of the most important things a WR can do outside of actually catching the ball. The question has been, and currently is his availability week to week
  • cprenegade likes this

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:12 PM

11-7 is much more realistic.

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 02 September 2024 - 12:52 AM

Only part I don't really agree with are the comments on Bateman. Never has been a talent issue. When he's on the field, he's one of the better separators in the NFL, which is one of the most important things a WR can do outside of actually catching the ball. The question has been, and currently is his availability week to week

I'm in agreement.  When Bateman was drafted I said I thought he might be the best WR the Ravens ever drafted.  But I'm talking about production.  His production has been weak.  I agree his separation and talent do not seem to be a problem.  So then it becomes an issue for his QB.  Why if he is so constantly open can Lamar Jackson not find him?  QBs are often made better by good WRs.  So are good WRs made better by good QBs.  What is the issue here?   For some reason they just don't seem to be on the same page.  

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 05:34 AM

I'm in agreement. When Bateman was drafted I said I thought he might be the best WR the Ravens ever drafted. But I'm talking about production. His production has been weak. I agree his separation and talent do not seem to be a problem. So then it becomes an issue for his QB. Why if he is so constantly open can Lamar Jackson not find him? QBs are often made better by good WRs. So are good WRs made better by good QBs. What is the issue here? For some reason they just don't seem to be on the same page.

Without knowing the intricacies of the offense, it's hard to know. If he's the 3rd or 4th read, Lamar probably isn't getting to him. OC doesn't trust him over Andrews, Flowers and Agohlar maybe. Who knows. All the metrics show he gets seperation at an elite level.

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 06:24 AM

Bateman clearly doesn't have the trust of Lamar for whatever reason. I still point to a play last year where Lamar threw a ball high near the sideline, Bateman never left his feet, and the DB standing literally right behind him went up and snagged it. Despite all the metrics and separation analysis, I think it comes back to that sort of "lack" of effort that makes him a lesser option.

• bmore_ken likes this

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 03:46 PM

That is a really, really optimistic outlook.   14-3?  Pretty much every star would need to align for that to happen.  There are a number of factors why this year's Ravens are not as good as the team that finished last year at 14-3.  Still a playoff team, and still could run the table in the playoffs, but a #1 seed at 14-3 is quite a stretch.

- The offensive line is a major question mark, plus they lost a coach who was a big factor in developing it.  Even if it does come together, it may take a while to jell.

- The WR group is still only average.  Flowers is the best of what they have.  If Bateman took the next step and became a solid productive #2 that would go a long way, but that's far from a given.  

- They have a DC that is assuming that duty for the first time ever at any level.  The D still has playmakers and will still be an aggressive Ravens D, but they will miss McDonald's ability to make adjustments the way he did in the AFCC.  

- While the D will still be good, it is unrealistic to expect them to finish 1st in sacks, takeaways, and points scored like they did last year.  That was something never before done by a defense in the NFL.

- The schedule is much tougher this year.  The 6 games against the North will obviously be tough as always.  At least 6 of the last 11 are tough games on paper.  And 4 of the first 5 are tough. 

Personally I think the Ravens will be in a dog fight with Cincinnati for the division.  They could very well be a WC team.  14-3 just doesn't look realistic.   

The only part I disagree with you on is the WR group situation. This is a running team first. Until the playoffs start of course. You don't need 1500 yard receivers for the team to be succesful. Last year showed that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=