15 replies to this topic

#1 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,762 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:12 AM

Seeing reports that Jacoby Jones has died at the age of 40. Hopefully not true!

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:25 AM

Seeing reports that Jacoby Jones has died at the age of 40. Hopefully not true!

Definitely true.  He died in his sleep, 3 days after his 40th birthday. 

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,325 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:43 AM

https://twitter.com/...500796577046742

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:50 AM

Too young. 2012 playoffs make him a Ravens legend

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 11:44 AM

Very sad. RIP. They'll be playing his highlights long after all of us have shuffled off.

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 12:50 PM

Damn, horrible news. Forever a Ravens legend for his 2012 playoff run, Ravens don't win a Superbowl that year if it wasnt for some of his massive plays. RIP.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 July 2024 - 07:27 PM

Horrible and very sad news.

The Ravens do not win the SB without JJ.  One of the fastest men I have ever seen.  RIP Jacoby it was a pleasure to watch you.

@mikeghg

#8 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 11:23 PM

Did he have any health issues or is this just a freak thing?  Awful thing to go at 40.

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 06:04 AM

I was there in NOLA to see him catch a TD and return a kick for a TD in the Super Bowl. Caught the Mile High Miracle TD pass. Wasn't here long but he'll always be a Ravens legend.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 09:26 AM

Did he have any health issues or is this just a freak thing?  Awful thing to go at 40.

A coroner's report said his death was due to hypertensive cardiovascular disease, which is often the result of unchecked high blood pressure.

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 10:16 AM

A coroner's report said his death was due to hypertensive cardiovascular disease, which is often the result of unchecked high blood pressure.

That's a strange condition for an elite athlete to have.

#12 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,762 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 10:18 AM

Could've been hereditary. You'd think it's something to keep an eye on, but how many of us check ours regularly?

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 11:01 AM

Could've been hereditary. You'd think it's something to keep an eye on, but how many of us check ours regularly?

To an extent I understand, but they take my blood pressure every time I go to the dentist. I have a machine at home because I know I have a family history of it. He was an elite athlete around doctors and trainers for close to two decades of his life. You would think this was something that they would catch.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 03:54 PM

To an extent I understand, but they take my blood pressure every time I go to the dentist. I have a machine at home because I know I have a family history of it. He was an elite athlete around doctors and trainers for close to two decades of his life. You would think this was something that they would catch.

It may have been something he developed after he retired from football.  My guess is he probably just assumed, being an athlete, that he was in great shape.  It's called the "silent killer" for a reason and contributes to a lot of heart attacks and strokes where the person had no idea he or she was a ticking time bomb. 

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 04:22 PM

It may have been something he developed after he retired from football. My guess is he probably just assumed, being an athlete, that he was in great shape. It's called the "silent killer" for a reason and contributes to a lot of heart attacks and strokes where the person had no idea he or she was a ticking time bomb.

Scary stuff and a real shame it happened.

#16 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 August 2024 - 07:08 PM

Very sad. As someone with high blood pressure and one stent already inside of me I can say I feel pretty good when I stay active and in shape. If I start skipping workouts and eating poorly I feel like crap. As stated above, Jacoby may have had things in check while being a professional athlete. Still, it should have been a known condition and followed up with regular doctor visits.

Reminds me I am due for my checkup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=