https://www.baltimor...e-for-work-news

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 12:00 AM

"If [Offensive Coordinator] Todd Monken does what the Ravens do best and are physical at the line of scrimmage when they get in the playoffs, because they are getting in the playoffs, Derrick Henry may end up being the guy that we have conversations about being potentially league MVP, and then especially when we get in the playoffs, being able to carry a load for the Baltimore Ravens that could walk them into the Super Bowl."

Cool story, except they literally do the opposite of this in the playoffs every single year.

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,558 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 04:11 AM

I think the Ravens will have more confidence handing off to Henry 20-30 times than Edwards, Hill, and Dalvin Cook.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 03:58 PM

I think the Ravens will have more confidence handing off to Henry 20-30 times than Edwards, Hill, and Dalvin Cook.

Assuming he's healthy. Assuming a 30 year old back with 40 billion yards on his legs can get through 17 games and still have something left. Assuming Monken and Lamar both realize that he (Lamar) is not a guy who excels when he throws the ball 50+ times a game and they actually decide to feature someone else. Assuming they don't lose their entire identity in an effort to try to make Lamar look like Peyton Manning and in the process make him look like Tony Romo.

There is a chance that you're right. Given the track record though, I'd say it's under 5%.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 03:59 PM

I have no confidence in the Ravens staff's ability / willingness to stick with a running game or running back. As they've proven time and time again since Jan 11th, 2020 that they struggle to do so...

If I had to guess, I think Henry will get in the 15 carry range the first halfish of the season, and the reps will diminish overall in the 2nd half. Folks will justify or rationalize it as them pacing him for a strong January push... where he then touches it less than all year just when you think they might pound him 18 times. And we'll hear how the "situations" just made it happen.

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 04:10 PM

I have no confidence in the Ravens staff's ability / willingness to stick with a running game or running back. As they've proven time and time again since Jan 11th, 2020 that they struggle to do so...

If I had to guess, I think Henry will get in the 15 carry range the first halfish of the season, and the reps will diminish overall in the 2nd half. Folks will justify or rationalize it as them pacing him for a strong January push... where he then touches it less than all year just when you think they might pound him 18 times. And we'll hear how the "situations" just made it happen.

I agree about Henry.  No way he's getting 20-30 carries a game.  That goes for any running back they might have, regardless of how great he is.  Lamar is going to get his 10-15 carries and Henry will, as you said, get in the 15-20 carry range.  Throw in the occasional jet sweep from Flowers or someone else and that's it.  The rest will be in the passing game.  If and when Mitchell returns or how well Ali acclimates, that will only reduce Henry's touches.  I think his most important role will be as the battering ram in the red zone, a la Gus Edwards last year.  I'm hoping he has enough juice left in the tank to be that guy who can wear down defenses late in the game to protect leads. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=