• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BSLKyleJAndrews

BSLKyleJAndrews

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:44 AM

It wasn't a fun time for the Ravens yesterday...

https://baltimorespo...game-to-chiefs/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:09 PM

It starts and ends with Lamar finding a way to step up his game in the playoffs. He will be back if hes healthy. We all know this. He has to be able to go toe to toe with some other really good teams/QBs if hes ever gonna win an AFC Champ. Thats kinda all that needs to be written IMO.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:13 PM

It starts and ends with Lamar finding a way to step up his game in the playoffs. He will be back if hes healthy. We all know this. He has to be able to go toe to toe with some other really good teams/QBs if hes ever gonna win an AFC Champ. Thats kinda all that needs to be written IMO.

It starts and ends with OCs not abandoning the running game. 

• fishteacher likes this

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:17 PM

It starts and ends with OCs not abandoning the running game.

Lol. Players play the game. You and your blame everything on coaches crew will say you hold the players accountable and put responsibility for the loss on them but not a single thing you ever post is about the players. At best we will get a throwaway yeah the players have to be better but.....and then go back to blaming the coaches for hours on end

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:18 PM

They need to do everything better. More balanced offensive game plan, no turnovers, don't panic.

So close yet so far away.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:21 PM

And as someone who thinks Hyde is a horrible MLB manager that playoff loss had little to do with him. Game 1 the hit and run was a horrible decision. Thought some pitching changes could have been made sooner but the players didnt show up and perform. Thats by far the biggest reason we were embarrassed by the Rangers. Same thing yesterday. The players play the game. The players can make any gameplan and playcall look like dogcrap if they dont execute. Some of you cant get that through your brains and only want to pick at the lowest of hanging fruit

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:36 PM

It's totally reasonable to wonder why we didn't try to run it more yesterday. 

• fishteacher likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 05:35 PM

Thank you. 

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:25 PM

Is that the same as blame as everything on the coaches. Do something really dumb and say Harbaugh should be fired. You wont do it. You say crazy s**t sometimes but even you know that ones too far. Well, I think you do. Lets see

#10 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,630 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:41 PM

Until Lamar starts playing the game with his brain vs. his natural athleticism and relying on his ability to play backyard style football vs. making intelligent decisions, we ain't winning a damned thing.  

Oh, and I agree...we bailed on running the ball FAR TOO QUICKLY!

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:00 PM

Until Lamar starts playing the game with his brain vs. his natural athleticism and relying on his ability to play backyard style football vs. making intelligent decisions, we ain't winning a damned thing.

Their only touchdown was thanks to his backyard style and natrual athleticism.

In my opinion, he needs to do more of that. Instead of sitting in the pocket for 5 seconds instead of 3 trying to prove to people he can be a QB the way some people want him to be a QB. The Texans blitzed the hell out of him, and he tore them up. The Chiefs blitzed the hell out of him and he was acting like a statue most of the game.
  • jamesdean and bmore_ken like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 06:56 AM

Is that the same as blame as everything on the coaches. Do something really dumb and say Harbaugh should be fired. You wont do it. You say crazy s**t sometimes but even you know that ones too far. Well, I think you do. Lets see

I don't think Harbaugh should be fired. I am hot and cold with him though, because that is what he deserves, especially after games like this one. But he absolutely deserves to be asked the question at press conferences and Steve better be asking him that question too. This is Buck and Ubaldo level sh-t. This panicked, abandon the run stuff has happened in the last 2 playoff losses at home. And I seem to recall us getting away from running the ball in the red zone last year in Cincy, which led to the Huntley fumble for a TD.

I know the turnovers didn't help, but all 3 happened in passing situations. Look, we got away from what made us a great team. We became one dimensional. Harbaugh has to answer for that.

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 06:57 AM

The "Lamar is a choker" narrative is real and deserved. I bust my cousins balls all the time about Dak being a choker. Well he said Lamar is one too after that game and I agreed. He may have the hardware Dak doesn't have but it's all meaningless in the long run. All that matters are rings.

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 07:17 AM

Their only touchdown was thanks to his backyard style and natrual athleticism.

In my opinion, he needs to do more of that. Instead of sitting in the pocket for 5 seconds instead of 3 trying to prove to people he can be a QB the way some people want him to be a QB. The Texans blitzed the hell out of him, and he tore them up. The Chiefs blitzed the hell out of him and he was acting like a statue most of the game.

Agree with this 100%.  Someone needs to sit Lamar down and be honest with him about his limitations trying to be Tom Brady.  Maybe in the regular season against bad to average teams it's doable.  But when you get to the AFC Championship and you quickly see it's not going to work, you still have time to change the direction of the game.  That's exactly what he did against Houston and what he didn't do against KC.  And I've never bought the "well, he shouldn't take off and run as much because if he gets hurt, we're screwed" mentality. The times he's gotten hurt was when he was in the pocket, not running down the field.  Use your natural abilities while you still have them.  If Lamar Jackson is your quarterback, that's the only way you're going to win a Super Bowl with him.  

• Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#15 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:28 AM

Agree with this 100%. Someone needs to sit Lamar down and be honest with him about his limitations trying to be Tom Brady. Maybe in the regular season against bad to average teams it's doable. But when you get to the AFC Championship and you quickly see it's not going to work, you still have time to change the direction of the game. That's exactly what he did against Houston and what he didn't do against KC. And I've never bought the "well, he shouldn't take off and run as much because if he gets hurt, we're screwed" mentality. The times he's gotten hurt was when he was in the pocket, not running down the field. Use your natural abilities while you still have them. If Lamar Jackson is your quarterback, that's the only way you're going to win a Super Bowl with him.

The gameplan definitely failed him but even if he didn't want to run he could could have gone to the shorter passing game. Playing against Mahomes got into his head and he was out to prove a point. Because of a great 2nd half defense it almost worked but he came up 2 passes short.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:34 AM

I kinda want to watch the all-22 and see how many running lanes were available to take off through when the Chiefs blitzed. But I also don’t want to watch this game again, and think the answer will only get me more upset.
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:40 AM

I kinda want to watch the all-22 and see how many running lanes were available to take off through when the Chiefs blitzed. But I also don’t want to watch this game again, and think the answer will only get me more upset.

From what I heard there were shorter routes and check downs open too. You're right though, gotta leave it up to the experts to rewatch this debacle. Reading the play by play was hard enough.

#18 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 January 2024 - 07:05 PM

He plays smart football when the game is close or we have a lead. When we're behind by a couple scores he gets in his own head it seems.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 07:35 PM

He plays smart football when the game is close or we have a lead. When we're behind by a couple scores he gets in his own head it seems.

The only dumb mistake from Lamar, IMO, was the pick. A few other questionable choices on when he'd hold the ball or run though overall those collective decisions are a massive positive for the Ravens even if some individual ones are negatives. It's certainly possible the deficit caused him to play over aggressive. But we also do see picks like that from him (and all QBs) from time to time. That was a really bad one because of the game flow, needed 3 at a minimum that drive, not big risks for 7.

#20 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:52 PM

It's taken me a few days to process everything. I also writing something for this week so I can vent there too.

Big players make big plays in big games. The Ravens did not make enough plays to win. The Chiefs made enough on both sides of the ball to earn a 7 point win.

The fact that we didn't commit to the run made no sense especially when there were some early successes there. It's how your team was built. KC has shown a weakness against the run and Baltimore is the number one rushing team in the league. Play to your strengths.

That said they still had a chance to win if the offense even has an average second half. After watching tape for the past few days, the execution in the passing game was rough. Lamar was back to old habits of holding the ball too long, being indecisive on passes, occasional sloppy footwork and not knowing when to bust out for a long rush. It's not all on him but he's one of the highest paid players in the game and so the expectations are greater in a massive game. He wasn't good enough.

Three turnovers to zero. Two in the opponent's end zone.

Eight penalties. Undisciplined play. Travis Kelce was the NFL version of Bill Laimbeer last Sunday and the Ravens fell right into the trap. He did just enough to get under the skin of the defense and had a great first half which unfortunately was all they needed.

Huge missed opportunity to get to Vegas. This was a great team that will be remembered as yet another that couldn't get it done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=