• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BSLKyleJAndrews

BSLKyleJAndrews

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 05:27 PM

Todd Monken is probably one of the most versatile play-callers that the Ravens have seen in team history. Here's my latest story on five things to watch for in a Monken-led offense

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus and Mike B like this

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 July 2023 - 01:19 PM

Nice work Kyle, I am really looking forward to seeing the new offense.  The NFL season is long and I think by the time the season is over, we will see everyone get a chance to contribute.

@mikeghg

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 July 2023 - 01:20 PM

It looks like a lot of people have forgotten Duvernay.  I think he has a chance to move all around this offense and make some big plays.

@mikeghg

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,762 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 02:11 PM

It looks like a lot of people have forgotten Duvernay. I think he has a chance to move all around this offense and make some big plays.

Just don't see much opportunity for the ball to get in his hands much unless there's significant injury to the WR Corp. He's clearly behind Beckham, Bateman, Flowers, and probably Agholor. Then there's Andrews and Likely.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:48 PM

Just don't see much opportunity for the ball to get in his hands much unless there's significant injury to the WR Corp. He's clearly behind Beckham, Bateman, Flowers, and probably Agholor. Then there's Andrews and Likely.

He will get offensive snaps. Its inevitable. If he doesnt then we are in great shape.

We know how Harbaugh is with rookies. Duvernay taking snaps from Flowers could easily end up being a thing too

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 05:25 AM

Duvernay's main function with the team will be the return game, although Harbaugh seemed to be phasing him out of that role late last year so even that isn't guaranteed.  If most of the receivers stay healthy, I think his days as a Raven are probably numbered going into 2024. 

#7 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 06:46 AM

Harbs can be weird with rookies sometimes, but Hollywood and Bateman got plenty of PT so hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Duvernay is great with the ball in his hands. Seems like not the greatest route runner. So hopefully the new OC will have ways to get him the ball in space. He can be a weapon if used right IMO.

#8 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 06:19 PM

Harbs can be weird with rookies sometimes, but Hollywood and Bateman got plenty of PT so hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Duvernay is great with the ball in his hands. Seems like not the greatest route runner. So hopefully the new OC will have ways to get him the ball in space. He can be a weapon if used right IMO.

I thought Duvernay could be used like Deebo Samuels. We even saw him run a few plays out of the backfield, and I'd like to see more of that.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 08:45 AM

I just want to see Monken trying to put his players in the best position for team success.  Play to their strengths.  Got a big strong target, try to create matchups on smaller DBs to get them that advantage.  Speedy quick cut type of player, try to get him one on one in space, maybe against a LB even.  RB and OL that have just rolled 60 yards mostly mauling the opponent, keep pounding the ball with the same guys.  

Don't run 3 receiving targets in to the same small space on the field and have all three of them "sit" at the same time. Don't get in a crucial situation and throw to your FB after the run game just rolled down the field. Don't hand off to your big TE and ask him to run up the middle while your quality RBs stand on the sideline watching. Don't ask your clearly bad QB to throw on 60-70% of the snaps, live or die with the stronger options, don't be afraid to punt and play field position and ask the D to do some work.  Manage the clock well when you have the lead, understand that maybe being ahead 21 points with 15 minutes or less left to go is almost impossible to blow unless you continually stop the clock yourself and give the ball away in great field position.

• jamesdean likes this

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 10:16 AM

I thought Duvernay could be used like Deebo Samuels. We even saw him run a few plays out of the backfield, and I'd like to see more of that.

Like I said, unless there's injuries with the receiving group, Duvernay's time on the field is going to be very limited outside of the return game.  I do think his lack of production overall had a lot to do with how they used him but there's other factors involved that keeps him from getting to the next level as a receiver.  It should have happened by now and it hasn't. 

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:45 AM

I just want to see Monken trying to put his players in the best position for team success. Play to their strengths. Got a big strong target, try to create matchups on smaller DBs to get them that advantage. Speedy quick cut type of player, try to get him one on one in space, maybe against a LB even. RB and OL that have just rolled 60 yards mostly mauling the opponent, keep pounding the ball with the same guys.

Don't run 3 receiving targets in to the same small space on the field and have all three of them "sit" at the same time. Don't get in a crucial situation and throw to your FB after the run game just rolled down the field. Don't hand off to your big TE and ask him to run up the middle while your quality RBs stand on the sideline watching. Don't ask your clearly bad QB to throw on 60-70% of the snaps, live or die with the stronger options, don't be afraid to punt and play field position and ask the D to do some work. Manage the clock well when you have the lead, understand that maybe being ahead 21 points with 15 minutes or less left to go is almost impossible to blow unless you continually stop the clock yourself and give the ball away in great field position.

Yes, Yes, and Yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=