Photo

BSL: Who Will Secure The LG Position In '23?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSLKyleJAndrews

BSLKyleJAndrews

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:34 AM

Any offensive line is going to be key part of a football team's success. The Ravens currently have an opening at the left guard position after the departure of Ben Powers. Who are the candidates and what do they do best (or need to work on)? I break that down here in my first article for BSL:

https://baltimorespo...sition-in-2023/

• BSLChrisStoner, PrimeTime and makoman like this

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:01 PM

Lets just say MAL for short. He had a lot of the buzz exiting mini camps.

• BSLKyleJAndrews likes this

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 June 2023 - 01:45 PM

I think they go with Cleveland.

This time last year, many were doubting Powers.  He did a good job and got a nice contract.  It is Cleveland's turn to step up.

@mikeghg

#4 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 01:51 PM

MAL, aka Sala, seems like a guy who is raw and needs some coaching. Maybe next year.

Faalele apparently was getting guard time in the offseason, but I doubt he moves to guard. 

Doss and Manning seem like PS candidates.

Cleveland and Simpson are the obvious front runners. I think it will be Cleveland if he shows up in shape and stays healthy in camp, but he hasn't been able to do that yet so who knows. Simpson has started in the league so he would seem to be good enough, could do worse than that with your worst spot on the line.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:17 PM

I would think it's Cleveland's job to lose.

• Mike B likes this

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 06:29 AM

There was a reason Aumavae-Laulu was getting first team reps in camp last month.  He's a rookie and Harbaugh usually doesn't prefer going down that road(unless it's a 1st round pick) but he seems to like him a lot.  I'd say going into full camp, he's the one that has the job to lose.  

#7 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:01 PM

MAL, aka Sala, seems like a guy who is raw and needs some coaching. Maybe next year.

Faalele apparently was getting guard time in the offseason, but I doubt he moves to guard. 

Doss and Manning seem like PS candidates.

Cleveland and Simpson are the obvious front runners. I think it will be Cleveland if he shows up in shape and stays healthy in camp, but he hasn't been able to do that yet so who knows. Simpson has started in the league so he would seem to be good enough, could do worse than that with your worst spot on the line.

I was goin to mention Faalele. Given that he was a little up and down in his snaps at tackle, perhaps his size and brute strength would translate well to the interior Oline.

I think the only certainty is that the competition is wide open. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:30 PM

I was goin to mention Faalele. Given that he was a little up and down in his snaps at tackle, perhaps his size and brute strength would translate well to the interior Oline.

I think the only certainty is that the competition is wide open. 

The Ravens like to pull their guards a lot or used to, and I am not sure Faelele can do that.

@mikeghg

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:01 PM

I think Cleveland will get the job unless he totally craps the bed in pre-season, or someone else is overwhelming.  But he could be on a short lease.  If he doesn't grade out well through the first quarter of the season he could be replaced.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=