#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:45 PM

I wonder if Ricard is a lock to make the roster

Seems really close to a lock. Not much savings in '23. Unless Monken knew he was rarely gonna get him snaps and then you could do it for the roster space more than the money. Seems like a lock to be cut after '23. 4 mil is savings against the '24 cap. All that said, hes a great blocker, Im just not sure how much Monken uses FBs

#5 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:13 AM

Seems really close to a lock. Not much savings in '23. Unless Monken knew he was rarely gonna get him snaps and then you could do it for the roster space more than the money. Seems like a lock to be cut after '23. 4 mil is savings against the '24 cap. All that said, hes a great blocker, Im just not sure how much Monken uses FBs

I thought Likely looked like a better blocker than he was given credit for at times, but he was a bit inconsistent. I'd love for us to phase Ricard out and just use one of our TEs to fill Ricard's lead blocking role from a 21 package. The amount of space we get from having 5 actual receiving threats on the field outweighs Ricard's blocking.
  • makoman likes this

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:29 AM

I thought Likely looked like a better blocker than he was given credit for at times, but he was a bit inconsistent. I'd love for us to phase Ricard out and just use one of our TEs to fill Ricard's lead blocking role from a 21 package. The amount of space we get from having 5 actual receiving threats on the field outweighs Ricard's blocking.

I agree. Andrews wasn't supposed to be much of a blocker and improved a ton. Oliver wasn't supposed to be much of a blocker and improved a ton. Boyle was great. Whoever's coaching up the TEs to block seems to know what they're doing, hopefully Likely is next.

Looking at just the stats from TB 2016-18 and Cle '19 I'm not really seeing any FBs, but I could be wrong, I don't know everybody. I'll be surprised if Ricard is back next year at 4M. Put that $ into a starting regular RB, whether you extend Dobbins or do something else.

#7 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 02:19 PM

BSL: WR

https://baltimorespo...-wide-receiver/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MikeFastNFL

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 03:01 PM

I agree. Andrews wasn't supposed to be much of a blocker and improved a ton. Oliver wasn't supposed to be much of a blocker and improved a ton. Boyle was great. Whoever's coaching up the TEs to block seems to know what they're doing, hopefully Likely is next.

Looking at just the stats from TB 2016-18 and Cle '19 I'm not really seeing any FBs, but I could be wrong, I don't know everybody. I'll be surprised if Ricard is back next year at 4M. Put that $ into a starting regular RB, whether you extend Dobbins or do something else.

In my mind, Likely should just be a really big sized wide receiver.  Good hands, very good YAC, uses his long body well, etc...I know they're pretty well set at the position but injuries do and will occur.  You're a dreamer if you think Beckham's going to play a full schedule.  Bateman hasn't proven he can stay on the field either.  I just think they're wasting Likely's time at tight end. 

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 July 2023 - 05:38 AM

I think they will move Likely around.  He played well  at TE in the few games Andrews missed last year.  Hopefully he will be used to create mismatches all over the field.

@mikeghg

#10 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:51 AM

BSL: TE
https://baltimorespo...ews-tight-ends/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@MikeFastNFL

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 July 2023 - 10:20 PM

BSL: TE
https://baltimorespo...ews-tight-ends/

I think the tight ends are a strength,  I also would be shocked if Kolar did not make the team.

@mikeghg

#12 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 10:49 PM

I think they will move Likely around. He played well at TE in the few games Andrews missed last year. Hopefully he will be used to create mismatches all over the field.

I kind of wonder about this. Andrews is like, one of the top-4 or 5 slot receivers in the league over the past few years. But he can bang inside too. So do you let Likely take more slot snaps, where he's better suited, at the expense of your biggest receiving weapon? Or do you put Likely inline even though it's not really a strength and he's probably a worse blocker than Andrews? I don't have a great answer for this. My first thought is probably to let Andrews play inline because he's productive anywhere. But who knows.
  • Mike B likes this

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,979 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 02:59 PM

Just hope there's enough opportunity to go around between Bateman, Flowers, Beckham, Andrews, Likely, Kolar.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:37 PM

Just hope there's enough opportunity to go around between Bateman, Flowers, Beckham, Andrews, Likely, Kolar.

A very nice problem to have, after last years issues.  The Ravens have done a nice job rebuilding the receivers room.

Duvernay and Agholor will play a role too.

@mikeghg

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:39 PM

I kind of wonder about this. Andrews is like, one of the top-4 or 5 slot receivers in the league over the past few years. But he can bang inside too. So do you let Likely take more slot snaps, where he's better suited, at the expense of your biggest receiving weapon? Or do you put Likely inline even though it's not really a strength and he's probably a worse blocker than Andrews? I don't have a great answer for this. My first thought is probably to let Andrews play inline because he's productive anywhere. But who knows.

Good questions.  I think both Andrews and Likely will move inside and out.  I also hope we see them both inside the red zone.  Big targets!

@mikeghg

#16 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

Side note, it looks like teams are starting to make passing concepts that take advantage of talent mismatches in the slot, rather than just let a WR3 run routes there.  CeeDee Lamb played 2/3 of his snaps in the slot, and Justin Jefferson played 1/3.  Lamb's slot usage is really startling - it almost doubled from the year before.  It made sense to put Andrews there when he was our clear #1 receiving threat.  But with the extra talent at WR now, plus Likely, vying for snaps in the slot, it's a really crowded field.  We might end up with some wacky stuff like Likely playing fullback and chip blocking on his way out to a receiving route.

#17 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 09:01 PM

Good questions. I think both Andrews and Likely will move inside and out. I also hope we see them both inside the red zone. Big targets!

This is the dumbest post I have ever seen. I mean, it is obvious to ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL... in the red zone, you turn your Pro Bowl big strong receiving threat TE in to a RB... and you send your fire hydrant clone FB out to catch a pass...

Any idiot knows that is sound red zone offensive scheme. And by all means, pull the RBs who got you there off the field... Obviously.

Trying to create mismatches to single up or uncover your big receiving targets in the red zone? That is such small minded outdated thinking.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 10:33 AM

Things will work out for no other reason that there's probably about a 10% chance that all of them stay healthy for a whole season. I think EDC knows that and that's what motivated him to load up on receivers.  

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:00 AM

Things will work out for no other reason that there's probably about a 10% chance that all of them stay healthy for a whole season. I think EDC knows that and that's what motivated him to load up on receivers.  

It's football.  Very rarely does a position group on an NFL team get through the season uninjured.  The Ravens have good depth this year.  Hopefully it is enough to navigate the year.

@mikeghg

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 04:15 PM

I expect Bateman and Beckham to miss time. I'm much more concerned about the guy throwing them the ball staying healthy, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=